Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-23, 06:27

Vocaloid shows it's true colours

Hah! Got a sample for you guys.

It sounds just like I suspected. Don't quit your day job main singers. Computer voices still sound resonated at certain pitches and words aren't clear enough yet.

HOWEVER, it is impressive how far computer voices have come to actually sing and in chorus mode too, I've heard one. I myself will probably buy it because the voices I need should sound like they are going through a vocoder anyways.

For an understanding of what Vocaloid is, check out:

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...html?sku=ZG-V3

Cheers!
Sample of Vocaloid 'amazing grace' (Main singer plus humming)
Old 2003-11-23, 07:16

Re: Vocaloid shows it's true colours

:Hah! Got a sample for you guys.
:
:It sounds just like I suspected. Don't quit your day job main singers. Computer voices still sound resonated at certain pitches and words aren't clear enough yet.

Yeah, it's somewhat impressive as computer voices go, but it's still only vaguely intelligible. If I didn't already know the lyrics to "Amazing Grace" I'd have had a rough time understanding. What I find more amazing is how similar the computer sounds to Miriam Stockley herself.

Drew
Old 2003-11-23, 07:22
millionaire

sounds like a French Canadian accent. n/t

Old 2003-11-23, 15:09

It's only for demo listening when writing the song.

Who would use a plug as a main vocalist on a track?
But it's cool to hear the song sung as you write, arrange and track it down.
Old 2003-11-23, 15:51

Don't forget VocalWriter for the Mac....

I don't know what platform you use, doinky, but for your stated purposes checkout VocalWriter by http://www.kaelabs.com/support.htm

I've fooled around with it; fun. Shareware.

Also Sing! More primitive, but still functional.

k
http://www.kaelabs.com/support.htm
Old 2003-11-23, 16:09

Hillarious :D n/t

Old 2003-11-23, 16:47

Very cheesy

I think the subject line says it all - it sounds really cheesy, like an improved version of that singing synthesis thing that came with my ol' SBLive. As crap as I may be at singing, at least I sound *real*!
-Ad
Old 2003-11-23, 20:15

Re: Don't forget VocalWriter for the Mac....

Yeah, I actually think VocalWriter sounds better than Vocaloid does! Too bad it's not for OSX.
Old 2003-11-23, 22:27

Maybe as a tool to get an idea down, it would fly. Maybe as backing vocals for a scratch project, and I mean... way in the back. But for up front dominant stuff - not my cup'o'tea. Sounds like she's singing through some cellophane wrap - it's got that buzzy "we're conserving on ram so we've selected a certain point of the waveform to loop, so it's not going to sound full-bodied" sound. Oh well. Just like someone else said, I don't have a fantastic singing voice either, but I'd stick with my own crummy vox for my works. Spank you very much.

:Hah! Got a sample for you guys.
:
:It sounds just like I suspected. Don't quit your day job main singers. Computer voices still sound resonated at certain pitches and words aren't clear enough yet.
:
:HOWEVER, it is impressive how far computer voices have come to actually sing and in chorus mode too, I've heard one. I myself will probably buy it because the voices I need should sound like they are going through a vocoder anyways.
:
:For an understanding of what Vocaloid is, check out:
:
:http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...html?sku=ZG-V3
:
:
:Cheers!
Old 2003-11-23, 23:23

: Maybe as a tool to get an idea down, it would fly. Maybe as backing vocals for a scratch project, and I mean... way in the back.

Actually, I think it would work just fine as backing vocals, albeit a little sterile. The consonants are kind of fuzzy, but then again it's an old recording trick to actually make the backing vocalists sing the vowels only (!) so that "T" or "P" at the end of a phrase doesn't sound like a hailstorm on the roof.

As long as a real main instrument (or vocals) dominates the mix, you can actually get away with the strangest things. I remember this band who had a single sax player and they made it sound like they had a whole damn sax section by having the keyboard player emulate three more saxes with an extremely crappy sax sound on an analog synth. In theory he could have used a plain sawtooth wave; as long as there was one real sax to 'hide behind', they all sounded real.

Having said that, Vocaloid sounds rather, err, phonetically challenged. I've heard much more realistic spoken voices (from shareware/freeware). The singing in itself sounds pretty OK, but apart from that, the engine sounds pretty outdated.

/Fred