Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-30, 17:43

Comment for newbies to electronic music

I'm hardly new to music but am relatively new to electronic dance music, and in roaming around the Props' web site, I found this link to Ishkur's site...
http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

It does a really good job of explaining and demonstrating the different styles of dance music. Listening to all of the samples of various groups in various categories is a real education. After listening to everything, I've discovered my interest is in Eurodance... Yeah, it's trashy and cheesy but I LIKE it! Seriously, though, I wish I'd seen that site a while ago. Great site.

R
Old 2003-11-30, 18:34

Re: Comment for newbies to electronic music

Yeah, Ishkur actually started this several years ago as a joke, but eveyone started taking it as gospel. Frankly, it's probably one of the best (and only) cross examinations of the genre. I particularly like his disclaimer:

''This guide is a non-technical, irreverant, critique of electronic dance music. Its purpose is to entertain before it informs. I suppose it could be used as a credited resource or educational primer, *BUT THAT'S NOT RECOMMENDED SINCE I MADE MOST OF IT UP*. Several biases are celebrated here lavishly, because downcasting people for their taste is music is closed-minded. Except if their taste in music sucks.''

Personally, I feel the site is brilliant. I learned something new - I never realized May, Atkins, and Saunderson were from Belleville - I always thought they were from Detroit! ;-)

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-11-30, 19:50

"HARD ACID TECHNO"

"This is the kind of music everyone listens to before they do something destructive. Sports teams listen to it before a big game, politicians listen to it before a speech, armies listen to it before they go to war, kids listen to it before they clean their rooms. I bet God was listening to it before he made humans."

303 POWER!

LOL

That's a pretty cool site!
Old 2003-11-30, 20:30

Very cool - lot's of info there, gonna have to bookmark that as a fave and review it later. But hey, that music for the intro... anybody every hear Peter Gabriel's "Birdy" soundtrack? Sounds A LOT like one of the tunes from the motion picture, which much of that is from other Peter Gabriels work before that film came out, but I recognize that one. Anyone know what I'm talking abou - isn't it a Gabriel tune? (redone of course)

:I'm hardly new to music but am relatively new to electronic dance music, and in roaming around the Props' web site, I found this link to Ishkur's site...
:http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html
:
:It does a really good job of explaining and demonstrating the different styles of dance music. Listening to all of the samples of various groups in various categories is a real education. After listening to everything, I've discovered my interest is in Eurodance... Yeah, it's trashy and cheesy but I LIKE it! Seriously, though, I wish I'd seen that site a while ago. Great site.
:
:R
Old 2003-11-30, 20:40

newbies should buy everything from pet shop boys! (nt)

Old 2003-11-30, 20:42

*tears* I tell you... *TEARS*....

:I'm hardly new to music but am relatively new to electronic dance music, and in roaming around the Props' web site, I found this link to Ishkur's site...
:http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

I saw this site a year or more ago and really enjoyed it then, but the new revisions are absolutely hysterical. I sat with the first example of SpeedBass on loop for about 5 minutes and I'm still wiping tears from my eyes... I haven't laughed that hard since I don't know when.... whooophh.... I need a kleenex.

Drew
Old 2003-11-30, 21:55

Hehe...

I'm really into reinventing Eurodance and Dreamtrance that used to be everywhere but then just disappeared. =)
Old 2003-11-30, 23:07

Yeah, that's a funny and informative website. I was very late getting into electronic music. I was into hard and progressive rock in the 80's and never got on the techno bandwagon until I lived in Israel in 2000. I heard Geddy Lee talking about mini-moogs and scratched my head (hey, I was only a bass player at that time).

Fortunately, I lived with a crazy rave-head techno writing Scotsman and he turned me on to the good stuff. It's my tastes have developed mostly independently of the "scene" so both it's funny to see where my tastes fall and interesting to here examples of "genres" that seem nebulous. Good stuff. I was happy to find one of my favorites, Commander Tom, as a positve example. Gotta love Noom.

--Sean
Old 2003-11-30, 23:16

:Very cool - lot's of info there, gonna have to bookmark that as a fave and review it later. But hey, that music for the intro... anybody every hear Peter Gabriel's "Birdy" soundtrack? Sounds A LOT like one of the tunes from the motion picture, which much of that is from other Peter Gabriels work before that film came out, but I recognize that one. Anyone know what I'm talking abou - isn't it a Gabriel tune? (redone of course)

That's the music for the miniseries V.

stace /fanboy
Old 2003-12-01, 00:02

Really? Dang man... it's a total Peter Gabriel rip. I think the song is called "Not One Of Us" - I just pulled out my turntable from the garage and was going to check the LP (oh my GAWD!!!! VINYL!!!) and my needle is all bent and tweaked and destroyed! DANG IT!! Oh well... off to go find a needle... but I think it's a Gabriel tune for sure. At least, it was inspired by him, this particular song. shoot... now i'm on a quest...

::Very cool - lot's of info there, gonna have to bookmark that as a fave and review it later. But hey, that music for the intro... anybody every hear Peter Gabriel's "Birdy" soundtrack? Sounds A LOT like one of the tunes from the motion picture, which much of that is from other Peter Gabriels work before that film came out, but I recognize that one. Anyone know what I'm talking abou - isn't it a Gabriel tune? (redone of course)
:
:
:That's the music for the miniseries V.
:
:stace /fanboy