Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-12-05, 14:58

Apple crap will it ever stop ..... (don't laugh) ?

I'm sick and tired of this piece of crap powerbook that cost me three monthly incomes and now decides that my firewire Harddrive and CD burner can not be found.In February I got a replacement motherboard because of L2 cache and I fear this will be it's third motherboard.

I'm out of here and not happy at all.

Old 2003-12-05, 15:21

Re: Apple crap will it ever stop ..... (don't laugh) ?

Hey martin,

Sorry to hear you're having problems - but don't fret, it might not be as bad as a repair job. Firstly, are you on OSX? If so, have you tried repairing permissions and the usual disk first aid type stuff?

If you're on OS9 I bet it will be some extension conflict... have you done anything to your system recently, like installing new software/drivers?

Also, are you on the latest OS versions and driver updates?
Old 2003-12-05, 15:32

Yes Alex I did the Apple hardware test and the test found trouble on the motherboard and gave me a code for the tech that has to repair it."fire/1/-50000".So after 11 months it's time for another motherboard I guess,but this time I will not be that nice anymore when I bring the book to the store.

I'll see what Monday brings,

Old 2003-12-05, 15:34

Bummer :-(

The hardware test does not lie. Hope you got applecare!
Old 2003-12-05, 16:23

Yoiks...

Wow, you have had TWO verified hardware motherboard failures in less than a year???

OK, I admit you might just have fallen into the statistically unlucky pool of folks who this will happen to. However, my first thought is to examine what you do with the machine, and how you do it. Is it even remotely possible that something you are physically doing - carrying the book around in a backpack, stowing it for commuting by plane, etc. etc... - might be causing damage that is somewhat slow to appear? Too much bouncing around gradually breaking a contact somewhere?

Just thinking of anything that might contribute. I've known of PBooks (like any machine) to occasionally fail, but TWICE in less than a year?? That's beyond a drag...

Good luck!

vK
Old 2003-12-05, 16:35

osx networking seriously sucks too. it just doesnt update the network data properly so you have to quit and re-enter each time to find new files.

and the desktop keeps on putting on icons on the down right of the screen all above each other.

another nice thing is photoshop crashing - almost anytime - when saving large files and starting an internet job. (cant see this f
Old 2003-12-05, 16:56

sx networking seriously sucks too. it just doesnt update the network data properly so you have to quit and re-enter each time to find new files.
:
:and the desktop keeps on putting on icons on the down right of the screen all above each other.
:
:another nice thing is photoshop crashing - almost anytime - when saving large files and starting an internet job. (cant see this f
Old 2003-12-05, 18:15

Hmmmm, that's funny, I've got several macs and a couple Windoze machines all networked at home and I never have the slightest networking troubles. Older machines too, running 10.2.8. No idea what you're referring to there.

As for the Desktop "putting on icons on the down right of the screen all above each other", you most likely have a) your download location in Explorer or other browser set to Desktop, so everything you download appears there, and b) in the Finder preferences, have it set to always align icons in alphabetical order, which would do exactly as you described.

Most likely, at least one of the problems you are experiencing are "pilot error", and it might be worth asking if anyone knows what's causing them before you blindly blame the Mac OS, which is likely not the culprit.

Just a thought...

vK
Old 2003-12-05, 18:32
lonelyMC

Re: Apple crap will it ever stop .....? No it won't.

Though you could experience many of the same difficulties for 1/3 the price on a windows pc.

ipod's dirty secret
Old 2003-12-05, 18:36

ROFL!! THAT LINK RULES!! =) N/T

:Though you could experience many of the same difficulties for 1/3 the price on a windows pc.
:
: