Propellerhead Software
Old 2004-01-18, 12:43

o/t Monitors or Channel Strip?

In the world of recording stuff, which do people feel has a more influential effect on their music? Monitors or Channel Strip?

At the moment, I have some typical Creative PC/Game speakers. Great for DVDs (4.1 surround for supported cards), good for playing back Music, but as for flat response and ideal for Music production, I really don't know.

My mic (cheap Yamaha MCA condensor) goes straight into my soundcard. Although it can take 48v phantom power, it also runs on batteries - which is why I bought it since budget soundcards don't usually come with XLR jacks for powering mics... The soundcard has its own level in control, but turn it up too much and you start hearing the too much (digital)
noise.

Most of my stuff is created purely on the computer: Reason (obviously), VSTis etc, with Vocals occasionally added afterwards. I'd like to do more guitar work though, but never got round to writing any instrumental stuff...

so the question is, what would I gain the most from? Monitors or Channel Strip? Budget-wise, we're definately not talking Genelec and Focusrite here... I was looking at the tfpro P3 channel strip (new version of the Joe Meek MQ3 I believe?), and the seriously budget Edirol MA10A's... depending on how much I can get for guitar lessons...

opinions, thoughts or recommendations on any of the above would be appreciated

benw
riviero @ soundclick
Old 2004-01-18, 15:57
leroybr0wn

Re: o/t Monitors or Channel Strip?

One thing I have learned over the years is that if your music sounds good on cheap speakers it will sound great on decent speakers.

One thing I have also noticed is that when you use "computer" speakers such as the ones you mentioned or the THX set up I have in my home theater the end mix is usually lacking in mid range. This is because the speakers are almost always multiple highs and a big subwoofer. I have a great 400 watt system in the home theater and I used to like to use Reason in there because I can plug into the projection system and use Reason on a 12 foot by 10 foor surface but my mixes where alway terrible when I would bring them to the studio. No mids and harmonics would sound totally different.

I would go with the edirols if I had to. It will give you more of a true sound. I used to use a home stereo amp and 2 large home speakers. And by used to I mean back like 12 - 15 years ago. It worked better then the computer set up I had back then which was of course, 2 highs 1 low no mids. Mixes on the home stereo always sounded good at parties and we pressed records/ CD's over those. What fun we had being broke musicians/producers. I now use Event TR-6's and a 18" sub.

Moral: Do what you can where you are with what you've got.

Good Luck!

Check out this site for some good info:
http://studio-central.com/studio_monitors.htm
My Sample CD Site - Great for Reason!
Old 2004-01-18, 17:25

Useful link. thanx :) (n/t)

One thing I have learned over the years is that if your music sounds good on cheap speakers it will sound great on decent speakers.
:
:One thing I have also noticed is that when you use "computer" speakers such as the ones you mentioned or the THX set up I have in my home theater the end mix is usually lacking in mid range. This is because the speakers are almost always multiple highs and a big subwoofer. I have a great 400 watt system in the home theater and I used to like to use Reason in there because I can plug into the projection system and use Reason on a 12 foot by 10 foor surface but my mixes where alway terrible when I would bring them to the studio. No mids and harmonics would sound totally different.
:
:I would go with the edirols if I had to. It will give you more of a true sound. I used to use a home stereo amp and 2 large home speakers. And by used to I mean back like 12 - 15 years ago. It worked better then the computer set up I had back then which was of course, 2 highs 1 low no mids. Mixes on the home stereo always sounded good at parties and we pressed records/ CD's over those. What fun we had being broke musicians/producers. I now use Event TR-6's and a 18" sub.
:
:Moral: Do what you can where you are with what you've got.
:
:Good Luck!
:
:Check out this site for some good info:
:http://studio-central.com/studio_monitors.htm
riviero @ soundclick