Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2004-01-30, 23:45

realtime pitch shifter and pitch corrector

I think a lot of people would like some sort of realtime pitch shifter in Reason. I can think of a dozen times I've had to endlessly switch between Sound Forge and Reason, over and over, trying to match a sample's pitch to my track. It would be perfect if it could achieve the same results that the EAX pitch shifter on the Sound Blaster cards did. It was clean and instantaneous. Just think of all the fun you could have automaticing the parameters on that.

But why stop at just pitch shifting. I recently tried out AutoTune 3, and I must say, pitch correction is amazing. From subtle, realistic pitch correction, to that infamous "Cher"-style effect, I don't know how I lived without it. I am a marginal singer at best, and the pitch correction got my singing to the point where I could actually use it in a song. Having this feature built into Reason would be outstanding, saving me from having to flip flop from Sound Forge to pitch correct my vocals and then reinsterting them into Reason each time I make a change.

Pitch correction isn't just a toy, nor is it some sort of sell out black box technology. It is a crutial tool for mastering and perfecting your mix. And it works on more things than just vocals.

Note values assigned to this pitch shifter/corrector could indicate the goal note for the pitch. However, automatable parameters would be a must so that smooth pitch bends could be made at both the semitone and cents level of detail.
Old 2004-02-01, 08:13

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea?

Hmm, not a single response. Do people not like this idea, or has this idea come up a lot and I didn't realize it?

Let's here some feedback!
Old 2004-02-04, 14:38

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea?

Actually, I think I mentioned this months ago and got a similar response!

I'd like something similar to an Eventide harmonizer, which can go from subtle multi-tracking fx to correction to pitch shift and intelligent diatonic harmonization.

Duncan
Old 2004-02-04, 16:24

I'd like something similar to an Eventide harmonizer, which can go from subtle multi-tracking fx to correction to pitch shift and intelligent diatonic harmonization.

That'd be wonderful, but I think those things are very processor-intensive, which is why they aren't easy to come by as inexpensive plugins. If someone knows of decent, inexpensive harmonizer plugin, please tell me about it. I'm not holding my breath for this to appear in Reason though. :-/

-Action
Old 2004-02-07, 20:14

I know for certain that AutoTune 3 is very lightweight. It works in realtime without any noticable hit to the processor.

Also, a "high quality" toggle switch could be added to the device which could turn on and off features like anti-aliasing, and granular depth, etc.
Old 2004-02-08, 01:06

Agree

Im not bothered about a pitch corrector autotune but a pitch shifter would be very useful.
Old 2004-02-09, 16:49

Re: Agree

Im not bothered about a pitch corrector autotune but a pitch shifter would be very useful.
---
yeah I just want a simple pitch shifter so that I can do pitch shifted delays. I am betting we will see a pitch shifter in the next Reason since it is a very simple effect and an obvious oversight.

psmurf
Old 2004-02-10, 02:00

Re: realtime pitch shifter and pitch corrector

Hey!

I think that's a really cool idea! I'm new to reason (I bought it this morning) and I kinda just assumed that it would come with some sort of pitch-shifter.

I also think we need samplers that actually sample, audio recording and mid eq

good luck with the replies!