Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-02-01, 08:24

Zero-X (BeatCreator) News item about REX2 format

REX2

There has been alot of rumours about REX2 now being an open file format, open source etc.

None of this is true!

The fact is that Propellerhead Software have made it possible for any company to apply for a REX2 Import license. We have done so and received the sdk.

It is not source code explaining the rex2 file format though, it's simply a dll (a program) that we/BeatCreator/etc can use/call to import rex2 files. There is no information about how to export to rex2 and according to Propellerhead's web site they do not plan to release any such information either (unfortunately!).

However, we do plan to add rex2 import to BeatCreator, BeatCreator Pro, TrackCreator and BeatSlicer. But as we believe it's rex2 export that you long for, we don't currently put rex2 import at the top of our priority list. Still, if you feel that rex2 import is what's missing in BeatCreator, why not send us a mail and we might change our priorities (note we have so many new cool features on the list and so little time).
Zero-X Homepage
Old 2004-02-01, 19:46

Pfffhhhttt....

What a bunch of idiots (Zero-X); the Props never said that they were opening the source code so other software manufacturers could export to rex2; that would make ReCycle 2.1 obsolete!

Zero-X is obviously trying to get political about this whole thing; of course people would love to be able to export to rex2 in their software, but not being able to shoudn't eliminate the ability to import rex2 - it's a simple .dll addition - not like it's hard.

I think in the Prop's original press release it stated - verbatim - that "they have opened the acclaimed REX2 sample data format to allow file playback by any third-party applications" - not export, but *playback*.

Zero-X needs to learn how to read before coding their new apps. ;-)

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2004-02-02, 01:03

Re: Pfffhhhttt....

Yeah, It seems like the Props were pretty straight forward about their intent. I'm not quite sure why Zero-X is making such a fuss about it. Perhaps a lot of their users, that haven't paid attention to the details of the situation, are bugging them with e-mails asking about adding REX2 export to BeatCreator.
Old 2004-02-02, 01:36

Indeed; that's a likely scenario.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2004-02-02, 22:29

Indeed; that's a likely scenario.
:
:Cheers,
:
:EnochLight

That is not only a likely but the true scenario. After receiving tons of emails from people claiming that the rex2 format is now open source, an open file format etc etc we could not see anything wrong with stating (on our own web) that there were incorrect rumours about rex2 being an open file format or an open source file format. Because there obviously were such incorrect rumours floating around. All we did was to correct the rumours and informing the visitors about the facts.

No, we are not getting political. Where on earth did you guys get that from?
Sure, we (and thousands of our users) would like to see the days when the rex2 file format is a true open file format, but I see nothing wrong in wanting that!?

/Peter
Old 2004-02-02, 23:35

Fair enough Peter, and my apologies for making reference to your organization as "idiots"; it was a snap statement made out of irrational thought.

I guess I was just surprised to see it written as a public announcement in that manner since I was certain Zero-X would obtain the actual press release from Propellerheads. When first read (your company's statement), it made it sound as though Zero-X had been lied to or something. I'm sure it was just my misinterpretation of the wording.

At any rate, no worries - your software looks interesting. Again, I'm sorry if I was offensive; no harm meant.

Cheers,

EnochLight

:Indeed; that's a likely scenario.
::
::Cheers,
::
::EnochLight
:
:That is not only a likely but the true scenario. After receiving tons of emails from people claiming that the rex2 format is now open source, an open file format etc etc we could not see anything wrong with stating (on our own web) that there were incorrect rumours about rex2 being an open file format or an open source file format. Because there obviously were such incorrect rumours floating around. All we did was to correct the rumours and informing the visitors about the facts.
:
:No, we are not getting political. Where on earth did you guys get that from?
:Sure, we (and thousands of our users) would like to see the days when the rex2 file format is a true open file format, but I see nothing wrong in wanting that!?
:
:
:/Peter
Old 2004-02-03, 00:43

I think the terminology is a bit misleading. Open format sounds too close to open source. It just gives the wrong impression.

I still think there should have been a lite version of Recycle that output files only reason could have used.
Old 2004-02-03, 04:14

:I think the terminology is a bit misleading. Open format sounds too close to open source. It just gives the wrong impression.

I dunno - I never felt like it was misleading. I read the entire press release and understood it at the first go. I also realized in advance that the Props would never make it open source (at this point) because it would make ReCycle obsolete, thus negate their 2nd only app they have to sell in mass quantity (I think ReBirth's days are coming to a close, so that leaves Reason and ReCycle as the Prop's only cash cows).

:I still think there should have been a lite version of Recycle that output files only reason could have used.

Yeah but, would it have crippled Reason's functionality? Also, coding a lite version just for Reason might have soaked up their already limited dev resources. Remember, their programming and dev team is only a handful of people; it takes them long enough as it is to keep Reason updated. Just the design of Reason Adapted probably took them off course for a bit just to satisfy a few key vendors they desired to tie into.

I dunno, I guess it would be neat if other developers had the license and ability to release their own rex editors that would import and export rex2, but I clearly can see how it would cripple Prop's ReCycle sales. What if I could get rex2 editor from Raw Material Software (ala Tracktion) for less than $89 USD? I think the Prop's sales of ReCycle would come to a hault (or at least drop in price substantially)!

I guess what I'm trying to say is (if I may be so bold to guess) I understand their business model and thus their reasons for holding onto ReCycle/rex2's source code. The Props are a relatively successful software company, I'd like to think - but each one of their employees are far from millionaires, I'd gather. It's a small company. They need to hold onto some sort of product to sell in order to keep funding their other development (hopefully many future versions of Reason, and perhaps a new file format and sample processing invention if we're lucky). ;-)

Anyhoo, just my rambling. Pay me no attention; nothing to see here.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2004-02-03, 05:31

Re: Pfffuhhhk....

As the number of beatslicing/time stretching options approaches infinity,
I'm hard pressed to say why anyone
except reason users should care about the
rex format. Logic will support apple's
new format and pc players will be either
acid (sonar) or some sort of retime vario
(fl/beatcreator, live native).

Rex is an aging format that will likely wither outside the Props community.
Old 2004-02-03, 07:06

I'm not sure why you keep feeling the need to be an apologist for the Prop's proprietary restriction on their REX2 format. As a consumer you are the one that is losing out. Your choice of programs that edit REX2 files, right now, is limited to just one app, Recycle and as far as i'm concerned BeatCreator has far superior features.

As far as their survival as a company I very much doubt that opening up the code will kill them. There are plenty of companies that make competitive products that edit various audio formats and they seem to do fine.