Propellerhead Software
Old 2004-03-09, 02:43

Sound Card Question(s)

Before I get ahead of myself, let me justify asking such amateur questions by saying that I am indeed a music production/programming amateur. ;D

My question is about sound cards. Before I bought Reason I was doing some research about synthesizers (the general concensus was that software was the way to go, and that Reason is the best of the best) and I remember reading about how different sound cards can have an effect on the quality of music produced. Is this true for Reason, or is it only true for computers with built-in synthesizers? Do the synthesizers in Reason rely at all on the sound card or are the sounds produced independently within the program? If so, would it be worthwhile to purchase a high quality sound card?

Also, another question, if I may. Let's say I want to perform live with Reason. What would I need? Just a laptop and a keyboard?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2004-03-09, 13:25

Re: Sound Card Question(s)

When working live with Reason, the soundcard quality is of big importance...

You should go for a 24Bit 96Khz card.

When exporting your Reason-song to wav or aiff, the soundcard has no role at all...

(To put it in simple terms)
Old 2004-03-09, 13:28

One other thing is the soundcards latency. When working live with Reason, you should get a card wiht very low latency 0-10ms...

Two good budget semi-pro cards are:

Terratec DMX 6-fire 24/96 & M-Audio Audiophile 24/96.
Old 2004-03-09, 19:40

Thank you very much!
Old 2004-03-10, 00:50

Re: Sound Card answer(s)

...and I remember reading about how different sound cards can have an effect on the quality of music produced. Is this true for Reason, or is it only true for computers with built-in synthesizers?
============

It will if your usage of the card in question will be heavily dependant on exporting the audio to an external device using the analog outs or the SPDIF outs etc... You will of course use your Analog outs for monitoring, but as long as the sound is fairly clean and flat (freq response wise), you're not doing much analog recording to disk, and you are printing your final project audio's Direct to disk files you can get away with getting a cheaper card
to base your entire operations around.

o the synthesizers in Reason rely at all on the sound card or are the sounds produced independently within the program? If so, would it be worthwhile to purchase a high quality sound card?
================

You'll want to get a card that can decently reproduce ALL the audio that your computer is capable of generating. That means stay away from the soundblasters, but there are plenty of mid priced cards around that should do the trick. If your usage will consist mostly of live performance I would get something that was pro enough to be very low noise, had professional connectors and nice robust DA output stages.

:Also, another question, if I may. Let's say I want to perform live with Reason. What would I need? Just a laptop and a keyboard?
============

The laptop would need a MIDI or USB interface (for the keyboard to communicate with the computer), an audio interface (decent quality), and an amp and some speakers.