Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-04-08, 14:27

CD Shop - Rockers Using Reason

I was pretty shocked to read that so many rockers use Reason - people buying Pink Floyd, Libertines, MSG, Rapture (although that's more punk funk electronic), Nuggets Box, Syd Barrett! Great to hear. A pleasant surprise. I'm sure someone will reply with something sarcastic, but I though this list was full of typical electronic / rave / trance / electro / chillout / garage / yadda yadda people.
Old 2004-04-08, 19:07

sarcasm? us???

nah...

closet guitarists maybe? that's my excuse anyway... lack of a proper band so bought a computer instead..

to be honest, I find most new dance music (hmmm, that'll be the stuff I try to make then) kind of boring after bit? maybe i'm just listening to the wrong music... i do listen to electro though, eg ladytron, kraftwerk, chemical bros, orbital, i love the old daft punk and air albums, and am currently borrowing an autechre album off a friend

..but in return i'm lending him The Hives (your new favourite band), Bluesbreakers feat Eric Clapton, and the Joy Division BBC sessions

rock on.

benw
riviero @ soundclick
Old 2004-04-08, 19:56

some electro bands are as good or better than new rock bands

Yeah, I like electro, too. Electronic music left it's endless repitition and back into pop music. Great Stuff! The fact that more of it hasn't gone mainstream is bewildering, considering the current state of rock music. The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand and the Rapture have gotten more than enough press. I think Ladytron, Fischerspooner and most of the bands on City Rockers deserve wider exposure... at least in the U.S., anyway.
Old 2004-04-08, 20:22

Re: CD Shop - Rockers Using Reason

:Rapture (although that's more punk funk electronic

Seriously? I *love* their album! I had no idea they used Reason...
-Ad
Old 2004-04-08, 20:23

press exposure is weird like that...

Strokes, FF, Libertines, Hives etc are all hyped to death by the NME.. which is 90% bullsh*t anyway... but lots of people read it and hence why when the NME declared that electropop was dead, the record buying public felt compelled to agree

:I think Ladytron, Fischerspooner and most of the bands on City Rockers deserve wider exposure... at least in the U.S., anyway.

I bought the Fischerspooner album at the start of the eletroclash boom here in the UK. Great production, great songs and I even booked tickets ... until the bubble allegedly burst and they pulled the plug on the gig. there's an electroclash night called nag nag nag (cabaret votaire?), but after seeing the (lack of) dress code have always been too scared to go!! at least at a strokes/libertines gig I can get away without having to dress up!

think felix da housecat is still doing remixes though? may have to check out a few newer electro artistes... or learn to sing, get over my fear of makeup and form an 80s neu-romantic revivalist type act instead

benw
riviero @ soundclick
Old 2004-04-08, 20:35

the press killed electro for these bands?

I have a rock band and an electro band, and the electro group is more fun with better songs! It's too bad that the NME killed Fischerspooner. Their stage show is a little off the wall and doesn't scream "take this seriously". Plus, a Brit friend of mine said that they looked bad on Top Of The Pops because of the cheesy dancing a'la 80s TOTP. Perhaps if Fischerspooner had toned down the joke side, electro would have gone a litte farther. Those comments aside, #1 is still a great record. I like them a lot. Even Alan McGee says that electro is the best stuff going. Who'd have thought it? There is still a big following for the new electro scene here.

I'm sure that Felix Da Housecat is doing stuff. Most of the electro kids in the states are more indie kids who got into electro instead of what sounds like club kids in the UK getting into electro. Hence, the electro look is toned down in New York.
Old 2004-04-09, 07:40

I hate rock music, I hate the sound of guitars ran through a freakin MESA Boogie Amp or some other primitive gear. Just my personal subjective opinion, but if you want some good Electronic music (and maybe you don't)...
Underworld, Plastikman, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Front242, Sasha's AIRDRAWNDAGGER, From Within (Richie Hawtin and Pete Namlook)...Anyway, I like KMFDM so I guess I don't hate all guitar sounds.
Old 2004-04-09, 08:13

yeah i was suprised to see that too but it makes it all the better for everyone cuz we can agree on alot of things including music hehe..i figured this place would be like sampled guitar central (being a guitarist in the electronic field you find that alot lol)with DJ Sammy look alikes,Loopers galore,and that Anthem junk..but i was wrong (i didn't think that really just thats what i was expecting lol).. once i heard there were prog fans here i was like "Thank God!!" so yeah people here are really cool and we seem to get along real fine.. now we get occasional Smacktards but all in all its a great place.i'm a guitarist as well and reason helps me out cuz its soo customizble that it works great with my music (anything from Prog to Acid Jazz even Breakbeat) lovin' it
Old 2004-04-09, 08:18

Re: the press killed electro for these bands?

i thought Fischerspooner was great! i was wondering what happened to them.. who's the NME again?
Old 2004-04-09, 14:32

:Underworld, Plastikman, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Front242, Sasha's AIRDRAWNDAGGER, From Within (Richie Hawtin and Pete Namlook)...Anyway, I like KMFDM so I guess I don't hate all guitar sounds.

Haha, yes - I like rock music, but I like electronic music as well - mostly more industrial-oriented (like Frontline Assembly) but I'm also open to stuff like The Alpha Conspiracy. And yes, I like KMFDM as well :P
-Ad