Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2004-06-02, 23:53

New Game Soundtrack element "Invasion Theme"

This was composed for a fun challenge over on another message board I hang out on.
If you like game soundtracks you may enjoy this little teaser.

100% Reason 2.5 with some post done in Sound Forge 6.0.

Invasion Theme HiFi: http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...D=1282787&q=Hi

Invasion Theme LoFi:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/strea...D=1282787&q=Lo

Invasion Theme Download:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/Downl...cfm?ID=1282787
"Invasion Theme"
Old 2004-06-03, 00:10

Re: New Game Soundtrack element "Invasion Theme"

Very cool stuff, I can see the enemy coming in hordes.

I'm not one to comment much on the technical aspects so I'll just say that the production was good, the arrangement was good, everything was very well-done.

Awesome stuff once again, DJDM.

Mike
sl4 dot poned dot com
Old 2004-06-03, 00:17

Hello

I posted my thoughts over at Soundclick, suffice to say that's a quality theme!
Stompp
Old 2004-06-03, 01:05

Thanks Ekim!

Stompp I did see your post over at SC. Thank you.
DJDM @ DJDM.com
Old 2004-06-03, 05:37

Hello DJDM

Wow, very well mastered. Nothing steps out of place to kill the ears. Track evolves without a hitch and the idea behind this tune is lovely.

I really love the dreamy organ play with the panning sound. The symphony play is boisterous and complete. I'm amazed that you didn't fall for having a overly stereo symphony sound, like I would have done which wouldn't have been as effective. I really enjoyed this tune DJDM.

Cheers DJDM!
Old 2004-06-03, 08:03

Long time no see!

This is an interesting track. First I must say that I really liked the orchestral percussion. It's something I like in general when well used, and it was well used here (of course)! Being a game developer myself (music is a side hobby, don't know if I ever mentioned that to anyone here before) I wasn't immediately inspired by thoughts of epic battles of impending doom -- but of course this is a teaser, anyway -- but there's an overall "darkness" to it that I could see some story potential with. I guess I was feeling more of an "inner strife" type of theme here... but I digress, because if I don't stop now, I'll end up writing out some huge, convulted RPG plot and boring you all to death.

Two thumbs up for DJDM! b^_^d

That is all.

Mad Rabbit on Soundclick
Old 2004-06-03, 09:01

Re: Hello DJDM

:Wow, very well mastered. Nothing steps out of place to kill the ears. Track evolves without a hitch and the idea behind this tune is lovely.

Thank you D! I did not get to spend very long on it and I was pretty relieved that it sounded as good as it did.

:I really love the dreamy organ play with the panning sound. The symphony play is boisterous and complete. I'm amazed that you didn't fall for having a overly stereo symphony sound, like I would have done which wouldn't have been as effective. I really enjoyed this tune DJDM.

The organ is a Malstrom layered with an analog sound from one of the samplers.
As for the stereo panning I try not to pan a lot of instruments too much: drum kits, strings and anything that would not really be too broad in a live recording. I think it improves the "believability" of the track.
DJDM @ DJDM.com
Old 2004-06-03, 09:15

:Long time no see!

I've been a little busy.

:This is an interesting track. First I must say that I really liked the orchestral percussion. It's something I like in general when well used, and it was well used here (of course)! Being a game developer myself (music is a side hobby, don't know if I ever mentioned that to anyone here before) I wasn't immediately inspired by thoughts of epic battles of impending doom -- but of course this is a teaser, anyway -- but there's an overall "darkness" to it that I could see some story potential with. I guess I was feeling more of an "inner strife" type of theme here... but I digress, because if I don't stop now, I'll end up writing out some huge, convulted RPG plot and boring you all to death.
:
:Two thumbs up for DJDM! b^_^d
:
:That is all.

Thank you for the in depth analysis. I guess different people hear different things in work like this.
The concept/plot I wrote up for the track is as follows:

"Hong Kong, China 4:27 am 02/14/2015. Relations Between the US and China have dissolved and rumors of a super weapon being developed in the heart of Hong Kong have caused quite a stir in security circles. Your job is to find out what the Chinese are up to and report back.
Mission specs: Minimal Impact. Covert Op. Find your own way in and your own way out. Use local resources as necessary. If you are captured the US will deny any knowledge of you or your efforts.
Scene: Your character is swimming in Hong Kong bay trying to negotiate harbor security boats that shine lights randomly about. Once you are on land your first encounter is a small girl running away frightened from a row of buildings with an eerie glow emitting from them. The next thing you see is a set of streaks across the sky as incoming missiles begin to reach landfall all around you. They look to be Russian.
Move quickly to avoid the incoming ordinance and if possible save the small girl now cowering next to a building right in the path of the incoming artillery. Don't get caught..."

Game development must be cool! But I checked out your site forum at http://www.third-helix.com/ and I am a little confused? What do you do in game development? And what is third-helix about anyway? Do you do Mod dev? What's the deal?
DJDM @ DJDM.com
Old 2004-06-03, 19:44

:Game development must be cool! But I checked out your site forum at http://www.third-helix.com/ and I am a little confused? What do you do in game development? And what is third-helix about anyway? Do you do Mod dev? What's the deal?

Ack, our site is confusing! I must address this promptly...

Right now we're doing mod development for Unreal Tournament 2004. There are several maps up (around 10 I think) for the standard gametypes, and our current, main project is a new gametype called Gem Feeder, which just released on 5/29. We have plans to build stuff from the ground up in the future, but we're still trying to pull together enough talent and, of course, money. I do have three sweet designs in mind for future projects though: one is an FPS with some (subtle) squad-based strategy elements, one is an all-out action FPS with a rather open environment and storyline, and one is an RPG incorporating two different, distinct combat systems (one for party-based combat and one for armies).

We're currently thinking of doing some test concepts of one or two of these ideas in the form of a mod; basically we would scale down the main design to something manageable, focusing on the core gameplay elements and establishing the overall feel, and trimming the plot and level count.

That is all.

Mad Rabbit on Soundclick
Old 2004-06-04, 10:44

Wow. Sounds like you are busy. Best of luck with your endeavors!
DJDM @ DJDM.com