Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-11-30, 00:24

Ableton live 4.0 Vs Reason 3.0

I was expecting the PROPS people to
come up with some new features that would have given Ableton live 4.0 some competition. I love reason, but I now think its time to migrate to Live 4.0. Where is
the VSTi/DXI support? Where is the external
audio recording feature? Where is the better sequencing GUI? ........(and many more) A new mastering device is cool, but had they incorporated plug-ins, I could have used T-racks, Sony or waves plug-ins. See where I am going with this? I'll still fiddle around with the update to see what I can get out of it.
I will go back to using reason(fully), when they make these things happen! I admire your efforts propellerheads. A for effort an F for execution!
Old 2004-11-30, 00:31

Re: Ableton live 4.0 Vs Reason 3.0

Ableton Live and Reason don't seem to be quite in the same niche apart that is made to make music. But it is not the same thing. Reason is a soft-synth, not a multi-Dj purpose sequencer. I use Cubase aswell as Reason with Vst and Plug-in and still use Reason often in my set-up. It take it's place in the composition pallete really easily and powerfully.
Old 2004-11-30, 00:33

I seriously don't think that you can compare them that way...Ableton Live vs Reason...
Old 2004-11-30, 01:35

Ok.....I just look at this way. I don't just use reason myself either. It's not my sole production solution. In my perspective, I see reason as a composition tool as well.Every day, I take my laptop, headphones and my oxygen 8 to Barnes and Noble and find myself a quiet corner to draw up some ideas for some tunes. Reason 2.5 has thus far been good for this purpose, but I wanted a little more flexibility in the update. I own native instruments 2 complete, Novation A- Station, Novation V-Station and other plug ins. In my studio, I use all of these on my dedicated music pc, running cubase sx 2. On my road rig, I would have loved to use these plug-ins to compose.
I know you can rewire to cubase , but I just look at it as more a pain in the butt,takes more time, and sucks up resources(having 2 programs running at once). I am just saying it would have been great for them to incorporate some of these features in the new version. I can still use Reason rewired to Cubase, but it just seems easier and more time efficient to run live 4.0 till they resolve this.
Old 2004-11-30, 02:03

Ok.....I just look at this way. I don't just use reason myself either. It's not my sole production solution.

I can still use Reason rewired to Cubase, but it just seems easier and more time efficient to run live 4.0 till they resolve this.

I don't think ANYONE is using Reason as their sole composition solution. That said, WHY did they bother with a "Mastering Suite"? If I have to bring in my Reason through another DAW, like Live or Cubase, won't I Master there along with my OTHER plug ins? Stupid choice for development resources. Basically, The Props are saying "If you want, to do all those things (VST support, Audio In, recording), you will have to use another app as master, but if you want to be limited to our program, you can master here."

The biggest grype I have is the inability to route audio through their killer Scream and Vocoder plugs.

Limp attempt at an update, imo. Not even a new synth...
Old 2004-11-30, 02:04

I understand your point, but still I don't think it can be compared the 'Vs' way. One thing that they can implement in is Reason as a Vst. I don't know how it would build up with the sequencer of Reason and the one of the host. That can be a problem to develop. Rewire must have some capabilities that Vst has not, otherwise they would have choose that path first. For me when I rewire, it is not so hard. It's matter of 3 clicks. Not much more than a Vst. It's true that it take more juice to keep it running that way. But for my part it's useable. But it must be hard if you got just a laptop, I agree.
Old 2004-11-30, 02:14

I don't see the Mastersuite as a limitation. And I will maybe take the mastering path in Reason too. I have done it for reverb. On vocal it work like a charm. And it's great to have the sound pump up before entering your master sequencer.

It's true that you cannot automaticaly route audio to Reason's Fx. But I have done it manually for a long time. And it got great result, it's just a bit long sometimes.
Old 2004-11-30, 02:41

Should read...Ableton Live 4.0 & Reason 3.0

These will be my weapons of choice.
Old 2004-11-30, 09:09

Re: Should read...Ableton Live 4.0 & Reason 3.0

Quote: "These will be my weapons of choice."

I'll 2nd that motion. Reason 2.5 slaved to Live 4.0 or Tracktion have done everything I have ever needed or wanted. I don't need ANOTHER "does it all" program.

I appreciate the distinctive advantages of Reason, Live and Tracktion ... I'd rather that none of them would get f'd up by trying to be everything to everyone.

Reason 3 is just more "sauce for the goose" ... I'm salivating over the creative possibilities already.

... and with T2 on the way ... YUMM!
Old 2004-11-30, 10:51

Apples vs. Oranges [nt]