Propellerhead Software
Old 2004-12-18, 00:39

New style/new song: Lost Eyelash

After six months of working on more laid-back, ambient songs using a fairly limited sound set, I have finally decided to move on and try something with a little different flavor. So, I present "Lost Eyelash," a song more influenced by trance and house than the previous, somewhat more "downbeat" stuff that I've been doing. Please check out the link below.

My usual weakness is with repetition and I think this song might suffer from some of that as well (especially with the simple rhythm used here), but I would welcome any comments you might have.

Thanks!

Robb
Grumpus at Soundclick
Old 2004-12-18, 16:37

Re: New style/new song: Lost Eyelash

Imo repetition does not always mean weakness, some great songs are very repetative, just the ear needs something to keep interested in whatever way. And I think with this song you nearly succeeded in that, just the end sequence could have used a little variation. But overall I liked it.

Cheerz, Dix

my musix
Old 2004-12-18, 21:41

trance isnt my thing so i listened to Bandelier Sky instead.Is that a reason pad? If so im interested what did you use, could you send me the patch? The slightly phasey one it sounds great. I found this very inspiring, lovely and chilled. Just needs some guitars ;-) All it needed was some sequenced blips it could be tangerine dream. Nice tune
Old 2004-12-18, 23:01

Hey, thanks Dix! I appreciate the feedback!

Out of curosity, when you mention the end sequence needing a little variation... are you talking about the part with the "strings?" I agree with you. It kind of falls flat at the end, but I was curious which piece you were talking about specifically.

Take care,

Robb
Grumpus at Soundclick
Old 2004-12-18, 23:09

Yep, that was all done with Reason. The only outside stuff I did with it was some normalizing with Audacity and then converting it to MP3 with iTunes. I'm glad you like it.

For the pad I just used a Malstrom. It's a variation on a pad I put together a while ago, called "Dark Dream." This one is shifted down an octove and called "Darker Dream." I'd be happy to send it to you, if you just send me an e-mail address where you can accept files.

Thanks for the feedback, Opal. I really appreciate it, even if it was for a song I hadn't asked for feedback on yet.

Take care,

Robb
Grumpus at Soundclick
Old 2004-12-18, 23:30

Just had a listen to it again and I meant the synth (or strings?) (beginning at about 5.00) and from about 7.00 min starting to unwind up till the end could use a little something extra. Lots of ways to do that; should be not problem I think

Cya, Dix
Old 2004-12-20, 04:31

That's what I thought... thanks, Dix! Again, I appreciate the comments and ideas!

Robb
Grumpus at Soundclick