Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2005-02-03, 16:43

Pro Tools and Reason - a rocky relationship?

I've been running Pro Tools and Reason together in OSX 10.2.8. I've got a relatively fast g4 tower - 733 mhz. They work, but they are a little clunky together.

1) I have to continually change the buffer size to sing without latency. If I set it low, Reason struggles - if I set it high - then singing is really latent.

2) I believe that Reason won't play through Digi's hardware unless I have Pro Tools running, right? Is that an OS 10.2.8 problem?

3) Sometimes, I can't change the markers in Reason so I have to shift to Pro Tools.

4) The tempo won't automatically set in Pro Tools once I start a Reason session. Often, I can't remember what I set it to when I was running Reason separately - so I have to quit everything and open up Reason by itself to figure out what tempo I was working with.

These things aren't bugs. They're more of a hassle. Are there ways to skirt around these annoyances?

Cheers!
Rob

Old 2005-02-03, 19:39

Re: Pro Tools and Reason - a rocky relationship?

2) I believe that Reason won't play through Digi's hardware unless I have Pro Tools running, right? Is that an OS 10.2.8 problem?

------

Nope, you can use the hardware directly from Reason if you want (assuming the proper drivers are installed) - that's what I do. I use my MBox as my audio out interface, which outputs to my monitors. With your Digi hardware interface running, start up Reason and select its ASIO driver in the audio preferences.
Old 2005-02-03, 19:40

:
:------
:
:Nope, you can use the hardware directly from Reason if you want (assuming the proper drivers are installed) - that's what I do. I use my MBox as my audio out interface, which outputs to my monitors. With your Digi hardware interface running, start up Reason and select its ASIO driver in the audio preferences.

I should have mentioned i'm running a WinXP setup so I actually don't have experience with the OSX config, but would have assumed it's the same or similar case.
Old 2005-02-03, 19:59

I had no problem with running Reason as a stand alone in OS9 but it seems like it didn't work when I tried it in OSX. I'll take a look at Reason's preferences again and see if I didn't configure everything properly. Thanks for that.

::Nope, you can use the hardware directly from Reason if you want (assuming the proper drivers are installed) - that's what I do. I use my MBox as my audio out interface, which outputs to my monitors. With your Digi hardware interface running, start up Reason and select its ASIO driver in the audio preferences.
:
:I should have mentioned i'm running a WinXP setup so I actually don't have experience with the OSX config, but would have assumed it's the same or similar case.
Old 2005-02-04, 04:13

I had no problem with running Reason as a stand alone in OS9 but it seems like it didn't work when I tried it in OSX. I'll take a look at Reason's preferences again and see if I didn't configure everything properly. Thanks for that.
:
It works with X, no problem - you just have to add Reason to the list of audio-applications in the Digidesign hardware controlpanel.