Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2005-02-08, 21:15

Question to those who have Reason Drum Kits Refill..

I was seriously thinking about it, but I only have 512 MB of RAM which is the basic requirements. Let me quote what they said and then ask the question...

The designers have gone far to create the most realistic sounding set of drums ever made for Reason. This means that the full patches in this ReFill are large. Multi-out patches weigh around 250MB (16 bit format) and to load them into NN-XT in Reason 2.5 takes quite some time compared to loading sounds from the Reason Factory Sound Bank. Therefore, Propellerheads recommend a faster CPU and more memory for this product. If you have less memory than recommended, or if you just want the patches to load faster, you can use stereo mix patches (MX). These are stereo representations of the samples and work perfectly well in a programming situation. You can always step up to the multi-out patches later on in the process, since all stereo mix patches have a multi-out equivalent.

Are they saying that I can use the drum kits that use less ram up until the export and then switch them with the good ones? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I have a full blown song with 20+ tracks as well as reason drums and my computer can't handle the 250MB sample live, would I be able to switch to the sample at least during an export?

Also, I'm just wondering the opinons of the drums? They sound really sweet! Anyone have MP3s of songs that they've made with those drums?
Old 2005-02-09, 00:20

Re: Question to those who have Reason Drum Kits Refill..

Yeah, that's pretty much what they're saying. I was in the same situation as you when I first got the RDK; I only had 512MB of RAM (I quickly upgraded to 1GB though). The best thing to do is when composing use one of the "stereo" kits as it only contain about 200 samples (the full mic?ed kits contain over 800 samples each, hence the whole hyper-sampling deal).

Anyways, load up a stereo kit while you writing and then when your ready to export or rewire load up the biggun? for the task. It can be cumbersome but the results are amazing. Really, I was skeptical at first, but it sounds great.

The style templates alone are almost worth it. I love to tweak sh*t as much as the next guy, but sometimes I really just don't want to, or have the time to, fu** with EQ?ing a whole kit out, mapping samples, etc. No worries, the RDK has like 18 (or more, can't remember) style template from Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, Soul, etc. all compressed, EQ'ed and raring to go. Drop your sequencer track in and boom instant awesome drums. My favorite one is the ?Atlanta Tension? kit (which uses the "Quest" kit, which I assume is modeled after ?uestlove.). It?s a ?Soul? kit but it fits/contrasts perfectly with my style/music, which isn?t remotely soul.

Upgrade your RAM as soon as you can, but don't wait to get it just because of the RAM issue. You can work around it until you can upgrade. 512 is the absolute lowest you can go though.

Hope I helped a little.

Scaryclown
Old 2005-02-09, 16:38

Re: Question to those who have Reason Drum Kits Refill..

:Also, I'm just wondering the opinons of the drums? They sound really sweet! Anyone have MP3s of songs that they've made with those drums?

Here is an MP3 of a song I made for a contest on KVR audio.

http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/musi..._blue-come.mp3

I used the brush kit for it along with one of the style templates and midi files from the RDK.

(Note, it is the first song I've done with the kit. None of the other songs on my site use it.)

I love the refill. These are some of the most realistic drums I've heard. The style templates are excellent (though I will quickly convert them to combinator patches when I get Reason 3.0).

My only gripe with the refill is that I think they could have done a better job at splitting up and organizing the midi files for use. Oh well, there are other sources for good midi drum beats.

With 512mb, you will likely want to compose using the stereo sets and then switch to a style template when rendering. It is a pain in the ass, but worth it. Using the RDK got me to upgrade to 1gb of ram. I would have gotten more if my laptop could use it. However, it seems to work fine with 1gb.

So, big thumbs up to the refill. However, while it will work with 512mb, I bet you find your next purchase will be more memory.
Drake's Den
Old 2005-02-09, 17:02

Hey thanks, both of you

So it sounds like 512 MB barely cuts it..wow. Okay, I'm going to go ahead and get that RAM and RDK!!! Thanks for all your help!
Old 2005-02-10, 01:36

One thing

If you use the stereo kits for working, you'll need to do some re-working when you replace them with the multi-out kits because these sound different (obviously).

:Also, I'm just wondering the opinons of the drums? They sound really sweet! Anyone have MP3s of songs that they've made with those drums?
:
:Here is an MP3 of a song I made for a contest on KVR audio.
:
:http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/musi..._blue-come.mp3
:
:I used the brush kit for it along with one of the style templates and midi files from the RDK.
:
Note, it is the first song I've done with the kit. None of the other songs on my site use it.)
:
:I love the refill. These are some of the most realistic drums I've heard. The style templates are excellent (though I will quickly convert them to combinator patches when I get Reason 3.0).
:
:My only gripe with the refill is that I think they could have done a better job at splitting up and organizing the midi files for use. Oh well, there are other sources for good midi drum beats.
:
:With 512mb, you will likely want to compose using the stereo sets and then switch to a style template when rendering. It is a pain in the ass, but worth it. Using the RDK got me to upgrade to 1gb of ram. I would have gotten more if my laptop could use it. However, it seems to work fine with 1gb.
:
:So, big thumbs up to the refill. However, while it will work with 512mb, I bet you find your next purchase will be more memory.