Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2005-07-24, 03:41

Does Reason 3.0 take advantage of Athlon X2's dualcore?

Hi all,
I'm about to buy Reason 3.0 and also upgrade my computer to a Athlon X2.
Does Reason 3 take advantage of the additional horsepower?
Using it with Cubase SE (I know, what's a guy buying a X2 doing with the SE but I don't need the extra features of the SL/SX).
Old 2005-07-24, 06:01

Meh...

To date, there's virtually few if no desktop applications specifically written to take advantage of either AMD's X2 dual cores or Intel's version.

However, any system running an X2 (or Intel's version) will benefit while multitasking - Reason included. You'll find that your computer acts... *snappier*... while running multiple applications at once.

Go for it!

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2005-07-25, 16:10

Re: Meh...

: However, any system running an X2 (or Intel's version) will benefit while multitasking - Reason included. You'll find that your computer acts... *snappier*... while running multiple applications at once.

Cool, if I get a triple-core perhaps iTunes will allow other applications run smoothly. It takes up 101% of the CPU when doing something that requires processing (converting to AAC etc). I bought my first Apple products ever very recently (iPod Mini + Shuffle), and as expected, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when it comes to Apple. It's a mix of brilliance (look & feel) and utter idiocy (hard- and software bugs). I'm 99.8% convinced Apple writes performance-hampering code into QuickTime and iTunes for Windows just to make Windows look poor. You can almost feel the applications pretending to be in pain, simulating heavy limping...

iTunes: "Oh, please sir... I can't work under these circumstances..."

User: "Huh? Every other app is working great".

iTunes: "Oh but sir... bit of trouble with the old leg... I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side..."

User: "What a load of BS, get to work."

iTunes: "...however, if you bought an APPLE computer..."

User: "Not happening dude."

iTunes: "Oohhhhh my leg... *sob*"
diod.design
Old 2005-07-25, 18:47

Well, hell just froze over

Blank and Apple in a tete a tete.

Never thought I'd live to see the day

You have to check out if I-tunes runs better on a powerbook.

Have you started the savings?

Asyncron
Old 2005-07-25, 19:29

:Cool, if I get a triple-core perhaps iTunes will allow other applications run smoothly.

Heheh, you know...I thought it was just me. I also recently purchased my first Apple product for my own use (iPod Photo 60 jigga-GB), and although I like the way iTunes manages my playlists (smart playlists are very cool, IMHO) and integrates with my iPod...I *HATE* waiting for it.

Now...granted, my machine isn't the fastest out there but something tells me no matter what speed CPU/RAM I choose, it still wont allow iTunes to launch any faster when I connect my iPod (anywhere between 35 seconds to over a minute) or use any less CPU cycles. Ejecting the iPod from iTunes doesn't happy any faster, either - it's annoying to say the least.

What *REALLY* got me, however, is the first time I installed iTunes when I got my iPod and I accidentally answered 'Yes' when it asked me to reorganize my music collection - almost 3500 song files that I had in one folder were now slapped into their own sub-folder with an artist name. D'oh!

That took a while to clean up.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2005-07-25, 19:38

Re: Well, hell just froze over

:Blank and Apple in a tete a tete.
:
:Never thought I'd live to see the day
:
:You have to check out if I-tunes runs better on a powerbook.
:
:Have you started the savings?

Hrmpffff.

Actually no. I was about to buy a Mac Mini but this iPod/iTunes experience really made me think twice. They say try Apple and you won't go back, but everytime I do try something of theirs I end up wishing I could just stick to stuff that works, and the iPod mini is not one of them.

- My laptop hangs during bootup (during BIOS check?!) if the iPod Mini is connected. I've fooled around with hundreds of USB devices but this is the first one to act so crazy.

- Battery life is shite (yes I've downloaded the latest firmware, yes I've switched off EQ and any enhancements, yes the backlight is off) and the charging indicator is a lottery. Sometimes it says it's full when it's empty, sometimes it indicates charging for 20 hours straight.

- The included headphones were broken.

- When I'm ripping CDs in iTunes, the computer is virtually frozen until ripping is complete. Most other ripping apps will run unnoticed in the background.

- If I play songs in iTunes while ripping, it will sometimes rip only 10-15 seconds of a song before moving on to the next. I discovered many garbled and incomplete ACC files after ripping half my damn music library.

- If I exit iTunes without ejecting the iPod (no I don't want automatic updating from some playlist), it's not ejected automatically, meaning I either have to start iTunes again just to eject, or choose to ignore the stupid "Do Not Disconnect" warning.

- The Gracenote database it gets tag info from is a complete joke, compared to the one Windows Media Player uses. Every other CD has the compilation flag on (since when is PJ Harvey's original album "Is This Desire?" a compilation?) which means it's saved to the wrong place. One Miles Davis CD had the artist/song names confused which meant 21 individual folders were created for 21 different tracks called 'Miles Davis'!

- Unlike Media Player, iTunes has no tag for featured artists which means "PJ Harvey", "PJ Harvey & Tom Yorke" and "PJ Harvey & Tricky" get listed as three different artists. Sigh. I bet hiphoppers love that, with all the "featuring..." going on, they should have about 30 different Missy Elliotts in their libraries if iTunes gets its way.

- Unlike Media Player, iTunes can't retrieve sleeve art - you have to do it manually! Yeah right I'm gonna go hunting for 300+ different jpegs and format them uniformly. And the weirdest part is, the jpeg is saved into every song of an album, a complete waste of space.

But, it looks kinda cool, and I suppose that's why Apple rules the portable player world, cause it sure ain't the outdated software or the shifty hardware quality.

The Shuffle has been good so far though, but Apple can stick the iP Mini up their rears and I'm not touching the standard iPod with a 40 ft pole. "It just works", my ass...

/rant over

Fred
diod.design
Old 2005-07-26, 09:45

Damn

I'll bet you're just gushing over the coming OS wars? I mean, since Apple's run the flag up and are going x86. To find out they've been secretly testing running OSX on PC frames for five years was a bit of a load, wasn't it? (which rumors were true and which were stamped out again?)

Still, it could really be something. Appreciate the info, maybe we could have some other learned rebuttals? I kind of like iTunes and hadn't noticed these peccadilloes. But I haven't tried to use it with a half dozen apps going yet.

-Oggy
Old 2005-07-26, 09:57

:What *REALLY* got me, however, is the first time I installed iTunes when I got my iPod and I accidentally answered 'Yes' when it asked me to reorganize my music collection - almost 3500 song files that I had in one folder were now slapped into their own sub-folder with an artist name. D'oh!

Thx! Now I can be sure-I never hit that button on any prog. I hover over it, and think of all those files it might mix up, and how long it will take, and I've never had the nerve to hit that button. Long ago in a Winplayer install I hit it once when there wasn't too many files and I know what it does. When it works, its cool, but I couldn't do it again. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig, dude.

-Oggy
Old 2005-07-26, 15:22

Re: Does Reason 3.0 take advantage of Athlon X2's dualcore?

Dual Xeon is faster than dual core - to get dual core to work, they have dropped the clock speeds (2 processors 1 bit of silicon = heat). Dual Xeon processors run at high Ghz.

On Opteron it is dual 2.2GHz - as opposed to dual 2.6 Ghz dual individual processors.

It's cheaper to at he moment to buy dual processor 2.6 Opteron than 2.2GHz dual core - this is because AMD are aiming at dual-dual core systems (quad processors) and are charging a premium.
Old 2005-07-28, 05:58

Re: Does Reason 3.0 take advantage of Athlon X2's dualcore?

Yeah but the whole dual Xeon thing... besides being able to fry a turkey on that thing, it seems like an evolutionary dead-end: the future is dual-core, and apps will be coded for them in numbers in the future.

Intel is completely committed to saturating the desktop market with their dual-cores; AMD will do the same. I still say dual-core is the way to go over dual processors...

Cheers,

EnochLight