Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2005-12-19, 01:43

New track by Dance FX 21 - Drum up the Bass! - SoundClick

Hi,

Happy Christmas to all you guys!

I?ve just uploaded a new track called *Drum up the Bass!* which has some Drum n Bass elements to it, but the genre is strictly Techno. However, I mentioned that there are some significant departures from the norm. One is the tempo which at 160 BPM, might take a little while to get used to. Another is a cinematic style section which pushes theme variation to the limit. Finally, mind your ears and especially your speakers, this track is a lot louder than any other I?ve uploaded to date, particularly when the sub-bass and percussion are on full power.

I think one of the reasons why the mix is significantly louder is that I?ve created an 8 band compressor set-up. Another is the intensity of the percussion and bass-line, which also adds a considerable gritty touch to the theme. Unfortunately, when I converted the song to wav and mp3, a slight ringing sound on parts of the modulated warm pad has reared its ugly head in both formats. Also, a slight loss of volume at 2:10 is rather a mystery, since no such fault occurs in the RNS version. I wonder if anyone can advise me on this? - Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In any case, I?ll let you hear it for yourselves (click on the link below) - Now, I won?t be around for the next couple of days, so until then,

Christmas Cheers!!!

Dance FX 21

Drum up the Bass!
Old 2005-12-22, 01:10

Site Update: Drum up the Bass!

Hi,

I've just posted some information regarding *Drum up the Bass!* to the website. The link below will take you to the sitemap which will allow one click access to any article, or indeed, the SoundClick Music Page.

On the sitemap itself, you should easily find the song info article towards the bottom, marked (new!).

Please use the link below to access the sitemap,

Christmas Cheers!

Dance FX 21

Dance FX 21 - Website - Site Map
Old 2005-12-24, 15:55

Re: New track by Dance FX 21 - Drum up the Bass! - SoundClick

Happy holidays to you Dance FX 21. i posted my review of this song a few days ago (at least i thought i did) but it's not here oops!!! anyway here ia another.

i love the synths and piano throughout the song and at 2:12 the bassline that rolls in is awesome but i am not feeling the drums...it's not the pattern but the sound. i don't really know how to explain it. but the the drums don't do it for me (but what the hell do i know???). the production and mix is great every sound breathes quite well.

cool track

mike
click hear my music
Old 2005-12-24, 23:47

Re: New track by Dance FX 21 - Drum up the Bass! - SoundClick

I like the use of pads in this one - they're pretty good and compliment the rest of the song nicely. I have to agree with mike though about the drum line, though my beef is that the kicks could be bassier.

Also, when the sawtooth and piano begin to play together, you have the same sequencing on both, my recomendation would be to transpose one to form a major triad with the other - meaning move either the sawtooth or piano up 4 semitones.

Cheers
Seirecho Audio - Music For Film
Old 2005-12-28, 00:40

Glad you like it!

Hi,

I've been taking it very easy this Christmas and it's only now that I've checked the internet - haven't done so since the 23rd.

What surprised me was that when I checked my SoundClick Stats, there was a good number of plays across the seven tracks - so quite a bit of traffic on the forum then.

Now, about *Drum up the Bass!* - I'm glad you liked it and I hope to upload a better recording of it in January sometime. In the meantime, I'm currently working on another track called *Dark Echo!* - even did some music on Christmas Day! I hope to have this track uploaded also for January.

You were mentioning that the drums didn't penetrate the track enough - Well, I think it might be down to compression issues. I used an eight band compressor set-up, but I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem may be in the amount of volume before compression. I also remember forcing a lot of compression (possibly a very low threshold setting) on the percussion, so maybe that's where the anomaly lies.

In any case, I'll tweak around with the track's mastering in January and will bear the above in mind. Another problem I want to sort out is the unwelcome presence of a ringing sound on the strings.

I'll leave it there for now - Many thanks for the reply!

Cheers mate!

Dance FX 21

Drum up the Bass!
Old 2005-12-28, 01:02

Glad you like the track!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you liked the new track!

About the drums, I can see where both you and omnyc are coming from - I think the percussion might be over compressed, thereby levelling the sound too much. I will have a look at the compression parameters, particularly on the percussion.

You have also made a good observation on the piano/saw combination. I did feel that something sounded a little bland in that area. Although I decided to let the combination stew in the interim, it still sounds rather bland. I think you've mentioned about creating second harmony with either the piano or saw (where they overlap), so I think that's more or less what I'll do.

I'll leave it there for now, and again, many thanks for the feedback,

Christmas Cheers!

Dance FX 21

Drum up the Bass!
Old 2005-12-31, 00:27

Any advice on drum compression?

Hi,

I've just had a look at the stats and *Drum up the Bass!* is doing pretty OK, while *Into the Abyss!* and *Let's Rock!* are also doing well. In short, thank you guys for listening!

Now, I'm not sure about the drum compression on *Drum up the Bass!*. Two people have stated that the drums did not sound quite right in the track, although they weren't sure exactly why (I think they were talking about the sound dynamics rather then the pattern layout).

If anyone can advise me on particular areas such as threshold levels, ratios, attack and decay, it would be greatly appreciated (assuming that compression is the main problem). Also, if anyone has anything to add on the subject of compression in general, please don't hesitate! Of course, any comment or suggestion (regarding any aspect of the track) is welcome.

Many Thanks!

Dance FX 21

Drum up the Bass!
Old 2005-12-31, 18:41

Re: Any advice on drum compression?

Happy New Year Dance FX 21

i saw the link below about compression settings it's what i have been using...don't know if it's right or wrong and i am certainly not a knob tweaker but, i guess its a good place to start.

peace

mike

:Hi,
:
:I've just had a look at the stats and *Drum up the Bass!* is doing pretty OK, while *Into the Abyss!* and *Let's Rock!* are also doing well. In short, thank you guys for listening!
:
:Now, I'm not sure about the drum compression on *Drum up the Bass!*. Two people have stated that the drums did not sound quite right in the track, although they weren't sure exactly why (I think they were talking about the sound dynamics rather then the pattern layout).
:
:If anyone can advise me on particular areas such as threshold levels, ratios, attack and decay, it would be greatly appreciated (assuming that compression is the main problem). Also, if anyone has anything to add on the subject of compression in general, please don't hesitate! Of course, any comment or suggestion (regarding any aspect of the track) is welcome.
:
:Many Thanks!
:
ance FX 21
:
compression settings
Old 2005-12-31, 22:34

Cool kind of crazy tune.

I'm no authority on compression so I don't know if that is the issue or not. To my ears the drums are a bit weak in the mix. I think they have trouble holding the rest of the music up, if that makes sense. They are loud enough but they aren't big enough. The kick needs a bit more oomph to it and perhaps a bit of reverb on the drums in general.

Not sure if that helps or not. :P

Rob
My noize here.
Old 2005-12-31, 22:57

Hi,

Happy new year to you too! (We?ve only a couple of hours left of 2005 in Ireland!)

Many thanks for the link, I?ve just uploaded the info. I think the listed compression settings will make a good starting point no matter what configuration I end up with. There are many differences compared to my current settings. For example, I use a ratio of 4.1 all the time, but the list displays anything from 1.5 to 6.0 - and that?s just one parameter! With the above in mind, I'll start experimenting with the compression for *Drum up the Bass!* and the my next track *Dark Echo!* in the coming year.

As a co-incidence, I?ve just been playing your track *Lost and Found* now (I?ve downloaded it since review), and have been playing it among my other favourites over the Christmas period - I just love the upper synth against the powerful bass, not to mention the awesome effects. In short, Great track!

Now, for anyone reading this, I?ll be in Spain for the next eight days, but as always, all comments and suggestions are welcome, and I hope to catch up by 10th January. For now, it?s Hola Espana!!!

Happy New Year to all you guys!!!

Dance FX 21

Drum up the Bass!