Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2006-03-17, 07:51
bubbafong

Help the Newbie! My song file is too big...

I'm new at this Reason thing...about a week in. I went to export a song file to burn it to a cd and it was 60mb. How do I go about keeping the sound quality but getting the size down to reasonable? Do I need other software? If so, what?

Thanks a ton.
Old 2006-03-17, 11:50

Re: Help the Newbie! My song file is too big...

60MB doesn't sound too big at all, assuming we're talking about an ucompressed AIFF or WAV file. I'd guess a 60MB stereo uncompressed WAV file at 16-bit, 44.1kHz would be about...a little under 6 minutes? I'm not sure I understand the problem, a blank CD holds about 700MB, so you should be fine whether you're buring an audio CD, or trying to burn the audio file as a data file on a data CD.

- R

: I'm new at this Reason thing...about a week in. I went to export a song file to burn it to a cd and it was 60mb. How do I go about keeping the sound quality but getting the size down to reasonable? Do I need other software? If so, what?
:
: Thanks a ton.
Old 2006-03-17, 14:49
bubbafong

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking basically about getting the file size compressed enough to email. I can burn it onto a cd...and have, but I was trying to email it to someone and their limit is 10mb. I know finished songs are not normally that big, so basically I'm just trying to figure out what I need to shrink it down. Do I need mastering software? And if so, is anything good that doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks much.

: 60MB doesn't sound too big at all, assuming we're talking about an ucompressed AIFF or WAV file. I'd guess a 60MB stereo uncompressed WAV file at 16-bit, 44.1kHz would be about...a little under 6 minutes? I'm not sure I understand the problem, a blank CD holds about 700MB, so you should be fine whether you're buring an audio CD, or trying to burn the audio file as a data file on a data CD.
:
: - R
:
:
: : I'm new at this Reason thing...about a week in. I went to export a song file to burn it to a cd and it was 60mb. How do I go about keeping the sound quality but getting the size down to reasonable? Do I need other software? If so, what?
: :
: : Thanks a ton.
Old 2006-03-17, 15:23

Finished songs that are uncompressed at full quality ARE always this big. What you're talking about is compressing with a lossy method like MP3, which is very commonly used when emailing audio files. There are a zillion apps to convert your uncompressed audio file to MP3 or other lossy compression file format. One of the simplest ones, which I use, is Apple's iTunes, which is also free. (I actually use AAC format, not MP3, but whatever, they're both lossy compression formats.) Reason by itself doesn't have the feature of converting to these compressed formats upon export of your song. Also, this conversion from WAV to MP3 has nothing to do with mastering.

Just keep in mind that these compressed formats are NOT what you want to use to burn to CD if you can help it and have access to the full quality uncompressed format file the MP3 came from. If you take a good sounding WAV file at CD quality (16bit, 44.1kHz), compress it to MP3 at anywhere from 128-320kbps (pretty common compression levels used when converting to MP3), and then later try reconverting that MP3 file back into a 16bit, 44.1kHz WAV file, it is going to LOSE QUALITY and you'll definitely hear it, so don't bother converting MP3s back to WAVs, there's very little point in that.

- R

: Thanks for the reply. I'm talking basically about getting the file size compressed enough to email. I can burn it onto a cd...and have, but I was trying to email it to someone and their limit is 10mb. I know finished songs are not normally that big, so basically I'm just trying to figure out what I need to shrink it down. Do I need mastering software? And if so, is anything good that doesn't cost a fortune?
:
: Thanks much.
:
:
:
:
: : 60MB doesn't sound too big at all, assuming we're talking about an ucompressed AIFF or WAV file. I'd guess a 60MB stereo uncompressed WAV file at 16-bit, 44.1kHz would be about...a little under 6 minutes? I'm not sure I understand the problem, a blank CD holds about 700MB, so you should be fine whether you're buring an audio CD, or trying to burn the audio file as a data file on a data CD.
: : - R
: : : I'm new at this Reason thing...about a week in. I went to export a song file to burn it to a cd and it was 60mb. How do I go about keeping the sound quality but getting the size down to reasonable? Do I need other software? If so, what?
: : :
: : : Thanks a ton.