Propellerhead Software
Old 2006-06-17, 19:27

VIP member Virtual Project Area

Let's say I submit an idea with discretion to the Prop's.

They find the idea inspiring, but don't have any resources to develop the feature details and design further at that time.
Instead, the Prop's announce a VIP member group virtual project - and asks for project participants among the VIP members.

The participants in the VIP member group have initially (Once. When they become VIP members.) signed a generic non-disclosure agreement to protect the ideas developed in the project groups.

A project group has the goal to specify requirements/functionality/design for the idea. This is performed in a restricted forum area. All projects could have a Prop's employee as mentor/moderator/oracle.

If the project group is successful in the idea development, the project is handed over to the Prop's development team. And the group participants get rewarded (no Prop's T-shirts please:-)

If the group is unsuccessful, they'll get that too-small T-shirt.

Old 2006-07-08, 20:19

*bump* n/t

Old 2006-07-16, 14:56

Re: VIP member Virtual Project Area

not a boad idea at all, woud involve the users more and allow props to develop things they may never have thought of or though people would use.

: Let's say I submit an idea with discretion to the Prop's.
:
: They find the idea inspiring, but don't have any resources to develop the feature details and design further at that time.
: Instead, the Prop's announce a VIP member group virtual project - and asks for project participants among the VIP members.
:
: The participants in the VIP member group have initially (Once. When they become VIP members.) signed a generic non-disclosure agreement to protect the ideas developed in the project groups.
:
: A project group has the goal to specify requirements/functionality/design for the idea. This is performed in a restricted forum area. All projects could have a Prop's employee as mentor/moderator/oracle.
:
: If the project group is successful in the idea development, the project is handed over to the Prop's development team. And the group participants get rewarded (no Prop's T-shirts please:-)
:
: If the group is unsuccessful, they'll get that too-small T-shirt.
:
:
Old 2006-07-17, 03:32

Kick this forum-software

I would agreed your Idea...

: This is performed in a restricted forum area.

... but not with this crappy forum software.

And I see also a great failure in this idea: The thing is, that you cannot create good ideas on a volunatry base in a limited area.

See the story of wikipedia... the wiki grows up, when they open it.

No, all I want is a better forum-software, like PHPBB or so.

Cause I see this every day: There are always the same ideas. They are posted nearly every month. They don't know, because it's so complicated, to lookup, if an idea like theirs is already posted. A good forum makes it possible to organize this a little bit better.

But BTW. I said "wiki": How about a wiki, which describes the most asked questions about Reason and shows, which are the best ideas, how Reason should look in the future...?
Old 2006-07-23, 01:31

Feature Sugg. Board creates,Virtual Project Area refines

: Well,
the Virtual Project Area teams would be responsible for refining interesting ideas - not creating them.

Wikipedia is a different story. An encyklopedia needs massive amounts of information. Perfectly suitable for a large group of contributors.

The Prop's also needs massive amounts of ideas and inspiration (I hope!) - suitable for the Feature Suggestion board. (and I agree - with a much better forum interface)

But a specific idea that needs to be analyzed and refined does not need - should not have - a large number of participants. I'm convinced this would be performed much more efficiently if you run it as a project - with dedicated project members. (Prop's wanna-bees I guess:-)
Old 2006-07-23, 13:58

Re: VIP member Virtual Project Area

My guess is that they're not short of ideas, more short of time. They have employed more programmers in the last year so at least now they have more man hours available. Another point I feel is important is longer term employment for the staff you have employed. Ableton appear to have a larger development team and are making huge improvements to Live, but I have to wonder if they will eventually hit a plateau and have to say goodbye to half of the team. At this rate how much better will Live 9 be compared to Live 8? And would you upgrade for features that you don't really need? No upgrades means no income for the company.
Old 2006-07-25, 15:03

Re: Feature Sugg. Board creates,Virtual Project Area refines

: But a specific idea that needs to be analyzed and refined does not need - should not have - a large number of participants. I'm convinced this would be performed much more efficiently if you run it as a project - with dedicated project members. (Prop's wanna-bees I guess:-)

To analyze and refine specific ideas you need special people. People, which earn their money for that. Cause refining an idea to a ready product (or part of a product) is a job, which doesn't make so much fun, that I would like to do that work for nothing, cause it is very time consuming to do that seriously.
Old 2006-07-25, 23:43

Functional specification

: I wouldn't expect the goal for a VPA project to be a finished product...but instead for example a draft functional specification for a new Reason device.

I agree working for nothing doesn't seem very tempting. Still people continue supplying the Prop's with feature suggestions without any credit or compensation. (but as previously mentioned, some more feedback from the Prop's would be welcome!)
But I see no reason why the Prop's wouldn't reward the VPA group members.

I believe the diversity of skills in the VPA teams could be a good supplement to the Prop's ordinary teams!

And again, Prop's: Get a clear policy of how to reward ideas given to you. How many out there have great ideas that they don't feel like sharing because of uncertainty about reward? I know at least one...
Old 2006-07-26, 00:03

Merging

Interesting thoughts.

Perhaps it would be good for Propellerhead to merge with a suitable company instead of solely growing by employing. Most resources could be allocated for the making of a new major update for Product B, just after the major update for Product A has been released. "Keep the staff busy"