Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2006-09-21, 18:51

ReCycle BPM slicing (not based on audio content)

I don't use ReCycle too often (had it for a while and just recently registered it, go figure, that's how often) but the auto-detection is frustrating some times. As it currently stands, you load in a sample and set your left and right boundaries, set your bars and beats and time sig "sign", and then ReCycle automatically detects the BPM, or "original tempo". It would be ABSOLUTELY WONDERFULLY GREAT if you could then just click on a button to place slices on the 32nd notes, or 16th notes, or 8ths or whatever, no auto-detection sensitivity needed, just place slices based upon the auto-detected BPM... you could then create slices at the highest point needed, then mute the extras, and have perfect slices, locked in dead on the proper beats.

This is a workaround I currently use: I was working on a project recently where the audio itself was very busy and cluttered and the auto-slice detection wasn't picking up on ANYTHING. I had to draw in the slices, all of them, by hand. Then I had an idea... this was a mono sample... so I put it in an NN-XT in Reason and panned it hard left, set up my left and right loop markers and played the song and set the click on so I could adjust the tempo until I had Reason's tempo setting locked in with the sample. I then created a ReDrum and put in a 16th note sidestick... loud... panned it hard right. Exported this as an aif sound file, loaded it into ReCycle, did the auto-detect slices sensitivity thing and it locked in to all the sidesticks before it touched the left side audio content. I then converted it to mono and chose the left side only... tada... perfect slices.

This works fine if you're working with mono stuff, but stereo files... forget it, I have to slice manually if auto-detect sensitivity isn't detecting correctly. Well, I shouldn't say "correctly", because it's doing what it's supposed to do based on volume and what not, but it might not hit the proper slice points.

So yeah, perfect slices based on BPM and loop length, not on the audio content... that would be cool.
EditEd4TV's Reason Pages
Old 2006-09-21, 20:47

Re: ReCycle BPM slicing (not based on audio content)

Just a quick reply as Im still at work. Check out the grid in recycle, then go to Add Slices at Grid in the menus somewhere. I'm not sure if its what youre after but i overlooked it.
Old 2006-09-21, 21:16

Yeah, I totally forgot to mention the grid, doh!... exactly what the grid does, except make the grid slicing dominant over the audio content slicing... more control over the grid too, like, well, what I mentioned in the previous post.
EditEd4TV's Reason Pages
Old 2006-09-24, 01:38

OH my.... I don't think I EVER saw that "add slices at grid"... is that even in the freakin' manual?!! Dang, I must have completely missed that back when I cracked open the manual. Shoot. Well, now I know.

Nevermind.
EditEd4TV's Reason Pages
Old 2006-09-24, 23:34

"Add Slices at Grid" is NOT in the Operation Manual, can you believe it? On page 34 of the printed Operation Manual, it briefly mentions "Show Grid". But if you look on page 56, you'll see "Crop Loop", then "Remove DC", then "Re-Analyze", and then next should be (drum-roll) "Add Slices at Grid", but it's not. On the disc, there's a file called "Menu and Dialog Reference.pdf", and "Add Slices at Grid" is mentioned in there. I wonder why they left it out of the official Operation Manual?
EditEd4TV's Reason Pages
Old 2006-09-25, 09:45

Oh thats bad. I was the same, hadn't seen it until one day, "whats that?". Maybe drop the props an email and tell em to add it to the manual.

PS: I think the Props sampling products could do with an update. Recycle could be so much better and dare I mention audio-in for Reason?
Old 2006-09-25, 16:40

yeah, I figured that one out on my own as well. LOL! I'm not sure why they didnt add it. Nuts, I know!! The last update to Recycle was actually good enough for me. I think they want to keep it simple stupid. ya know? It suites it's purpose, thent he Dr. Rex takes over from there really. I mean, they could do more w/ adding certain effects to each slice and all that crap, but you can do all that in the Dr. Rex. I'm heard some crazy shit manipulating the sounds in the Rex player. It shouldnt be called a Rex player, cuz it's more than just that. It's a Rex Manipulator. ;-)

: Oh thats bad. I was the same, hadn't seen it until one day, "whats that?". Maybe drop the props an email and tell em to add it to the manual.
:
: PS: I think the Props sampling products could do with an update. Recycle could be so much better and dare I mention audio-in for Reason?