Propellerhead Software
Old 2006-12-31, 18:08
novamano

No Music experience

I just wanted to ask a question, Is Reason only for professional musicians, or people with some music background?

I have no music making backgroung, I don't play any instrumet but I like making music.
So, is reason or me?
Old 2006-12-31, 18:20

Re: No Music experience

Of course.

That's like asking, I have no idea how to play guitar, but I like guitar music. Is buying a guitar for me?

There's only one way to learn, and that's to take the plunge and do it. That said, there are sooooo many resources for helping beginners with learning Reason.

My two favorites for noobs such as yourself (respect), are the following two video tutorials. They are affordable and will have you making sweet music with Reason in no time. The first is slightly dated (made during 2.0), but highly recommended for basic song structure creation. The second is more advanced...

Producing Music With Reason:

http://www.amazon.com/PROPELLERHEAD-.../dp/B000084VGP

Ask's Reason Tutorial DVD:

https://askvideo.com/product_info.ph...products_id=43

Good luck!
Old 2006-12-31, 18:21

The lesser 'musical knowledge' you have, the better.

NOT kidding here!
I had some classical training years ago and believe me: it's a burden!!

For electronical music, no knowledge of notes or scales is needed! Rather NOT have that 'knowledge' even!!

good luck making music
Old 2007-01-01, 13:00

Yes, Reason is for you. Very user friendly. Fast and easy learning curve.
Old 2007-01-01, 19:55
novamano

Thanks A Lot for the links and for your encouraging answer.

All The best and Happy New Year 2007!!
Old 2007-01-01, 19:56
novamano

That's very good to know friend!

Thanks a lot ...
Old 2007-01-01, 23:36

: The lesser 'musical knowledge' you have, the better.
:
: NOT kidding here!
: I had some classical training years ago and believe me: it's a burden!!
:
: For electronical music, no knowledge of notes or scales is needed! Rather NOT have that 'knowledge' even!!
:
: good luck making music

Actually, I would disagree with comment. Traditional music theory knowledge and audio engineering knowledge is essential if you really want to maximize what you want to get out of Reason or producing any type of music with any other soft synth. If you don't you will soon run out of ideas, and never reach the level of pros. Trust me. Go to the forums at kvraudio.com and just ask them. The have a whole section dedicated to Music Theory and scales, and they promarily focus on creating electronic music. The site also has the largest database of VST (Virtual Instruments) that you can use with a host ex (Acid ro, Cubase), and then Rewire to Reason. You should get a book on Music Theory such as Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory and the Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman for learning how to "professionally" compose electronic music. I've been doing this for six years now. I ended up learning Music Theory after running out of ideas and frustration. Then my music improved dramatically. I learn also how to read drum notation in addition to composing music. Trust me the more music experience you get the better. You could start blending styles together to really create original stuff. Not learning traditional music theory will limit you ultimately and don't forget you can always break the rules when it comes to it.
Old 2007-01-01, 23:39

: Yes, Reason is for you. Very user friendly. Fast and easy learning curve.

It's very user friendly, but it has alot of advanced features that will require you to take time with the program such as signal routing and synth programming, dynamics, etc. It's easy to learn, hard to master.
Old 2007-01-01, 23:39

: Yes, Reason is for you. Very user friendly. Fast and easy learning curve.

It's very user friendly, but it has alot of advanced features that will require you to take time with the program such as signal routing and synth programming, dynamics, etc. It's easy to learn, hard to master.