Propellerhead Software
Old 2007-05-03, 15:27

Slagging off Props!

This may annoy a few people, and i may get my head bitten off, but don't you think that these forums are becomming a little too negative about the props and the fact that they haven't released anything for a while.
i don't post much here because i can't be bothered with all the "when will R4 be out" "come on props give us something" sort of thing.

i don't have a problem with reason 3, i spend a lot of time finding new sounds with it, also i found that when i added control surfaces it became an even greater creative tool.
people just need to spend time finding sounds and not expecting things like Thor to be the saviour of all there musical creativity.

Why do people come on to the forum to just to slag props and reason off, if they think it is rubbish don't use it, if live is the bees knees just use that then. Why waste your time just being negative.

I use this software nearly everyday, and been using it for years but i am always learning on it.

i look forward to see reason 4 like everyone else but it is not the be all and end all of for me. (does that make any sense)

I feel that if you haven't got anything good or interesting to say about the software or the props then don't bother.

right i will get off my soap box now

the very rev. chalkline

p.s i don't care about audio in either
Old 2007-05-03, 15:39
FUNKSHOT

Re: Slagging off Props!

word!...of course little bit of a criticism is always needed for not letting props(or any other softcompany) go lazy on us, which is not the case at the moment.im pretty sure they are sweating with the BIG NR.4! piic
Old 2007-05-03, 16:00

So true, I have a post much like yours here...
http://www.propellerheads.se/board/g...playMsg=313635
Old 2007-05-03, 16:11

: So true, I have a post much like yours here...
: http://www.propellerheads.se/board/g...playMsg=313635

i remember that one now.
it is replies like what maxlatency said on yours that get my goat up.
i don't believe for one minute that people like that have got anywhere near to knowing all there is to reason that the can't do anymore with it.
some people just need more toys to make anything seem worthwhile.
Old 2007-05-03, 17:37

Not a bite nor even a nibble!

Absolutely not bitting your head off. I agree wholeheartedly
Nick
Chapora
Old 2007-05-03, 19:40

: : So true, I have a post much like yours here...
: : http://www.propellerheads.se/board/g...playMsg=313635
:
: i remember that one now.
: it is replies like what maxlatency said on yours that get my goat up.
: i don't believe for one minute that people like that have got anywhere near to knowing all there is to reason that the can't do anymore with it.
: some people just need more toys to make anything seem worthwhile.

And compare a program to "driveing a car until it breaks"? c'mon, so he thinks a program is useless when he have had it for a few years...?
I think ppl is TOO used to haveing updates TOO often.
Just to get everyone more upset I say: Props, when you are ready to launch a new version, post it on your site that now it is finished and WAIT A FEW MORE WEEKS LONGER! :P
Old 2007-05-03, 20:23

"i don't believe for one minute that people like that have got anywhere near to knowing all there is to reason that the can't do anymore with it."

Well I don't think anyone here has ever claimed to having done that. It would like be claiming to have 'completed' Adobe Illustrator, as there are no more colours or shapes to explore. None of these applications are like completing a level on the Playstation. They are toolboxes for creating, and sometimes you need very specific tools for very specific jobs.

The "some people just need new toys" angle is just empty macho posturing as far as I'm concerned. Its like claiming that because a good drummer can make a set of pots and pans sound good, then there's no need for Pearl, Ziljian etc. People can make C64 chips sound great but the world still needs samplers and synthesisers as well as C64s. I guess you could take the view that R2.5 was good (as it was) and that is good enough. But there was also a real need for the MClass effects. The additions to R3 were worth far more than I the
Old 2007-05-03, 21:29

:
: The "some people just need new toys" angle is just empty macho posturing as far as I'm concerned.

i am being far from macho about what i said, but i am stating that too much space is wasted on these threads about waiting for reason 4 and the slating of the props.

i am not saying that they don't need reason 4 and that 3 is good enough to end all upgrades, i can't wait for it to come out, but i am not beating myself up about it, and until then i will go on making music and working with what reason offers.
and going back to my macho statement as it has been called, the whole toys thing i stick to what i say, i agree that the combinator and mclass was a huge improvement on 2.5 and what comes out with 4 well who knows yet, we will find out in props own time. but reading a lot of posts here and statements by certain individuals do come across like they just want new toys and that they seem to have lost all creative ability with reason 3.
i personally don't just use R3, but for creating sounds you never cease to find something new with it, the pure manipulation that you can create with the front and back of each instrument.
and i agree fully with you about the use of exspensive drum kits to pots and pans, that is why if you really can't get the sounds you need, look at other software, otherwise there would be only 1 software manufacture. i use alot of hardware and software, from old analogue to game boys and circuit bent, guitars and pretty much anything that makes an interesting sound.

but the whole point of the first thread was to say that just because we are waiting for a new version, which everyone knows is in development, there is no need to slag the props off and just be constantly negative on these pages. surely there are better things to talk about?

seems the soap box came back out!!!
Old 2007-05-03, 22:51

The truth of the matter is props dont have to do anything. It's THERE product. There already wealthy and truthfully probably dont have to make another version of reason ever again and still live happily ever after.

Now as to why they get so much crap...They get so much crap because reason is a GENIOUS software that COULD (but never will be because props dont wanna spend the time doing it) be the greatest software known to man. This frustrates many users and always will.

Would a Super Reason (Audio in,sequencing,mastering,vst etc.) type program benefit the public? ...YES!!!!!

Would all the time and money and effort and hasle of making a Super Reason type program benefit the props much more then updating reason the way they have been? ...No, not really. There already rich.

: This may annoy a few people, and i may get my head bitten off, but don't you think that these forums are becomming a little too negative about the props and the fact that they haven't released anything for a while.
: i don't post much here because i can't be bothered with all the "when will R4 be out" "come on props give us something" sort of thing.
:
: i don't have a problem with reason 3, i spend a lot of time finding new sounds with it, also i found that when i added control surfaces it became an even greater creative tool.
: people just need to spend time finding sounds and not expecting things like Thor to be the saviour of all there musical creativity.
:
: Why do people come on to the forum to just to slag props and reason off, if they think it is rubbish don't use it, if live is the bees knees just use that then. Why waste your time just being negative.
:
: I use this software nearly everyday, and been using it for years but i am always learning on it.
:
: i look forward to see reason 4 like everyone else but it is not the be all and end all of for me. (does that make any sense)
:
: I feel that if you haven't got anything good or interesting to say about the software or the props then don't bother.
:
: right i will get off my soap box now
:
: the very rev. chalkline
:
: p.s i don't care about audio in either
:
THE BEST MUSIC DONE ON REASON PERIOD
Old 2007-05-04, 12:11

I'm a mere noob on the Prop's forums and I already find the "I can't wait" and "It's all Prop's fault" threads very tedious.
Sometimes it's like listening to a... well, I won't say as I find some folks here get upset easy as well.
lol
Glad it ain't just me anyway!
Thanks for posting.

:-B
Acorn abuse is wrong.