Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2007-02-14, 16:57

Re: NOTCH MODE FOR COMBINATOR ROTARY KNOBS

Excellent idea! That would make combinator so much more flexible.

Infact, add four more rotaries while your there! 8 rotaries would be the biz!
Old 2007-03-10, 20:41

: Excellent idea! That would make combinator so much more flexible.
:
: Infact, add four more rotaries while your there! 8 rotaries would be the biz!

I'd be happy with just the notch mode. That wouldn't require any change to the Combinator itself. It would just be an extra option (accessed by right clicking on a knob) that would make the device much more powerful.
Old 2007-05-06, 10:11

Surely the Prop's can impliment this for Reason 4?

Come on guys, You know it makes sense?
Old 2007-05-06, 13:47

No need for manual selection of notch mode.

: This mode could be selected automatically, because the knob can query/access the type of values of the target it controls.

So, there's no need for a menu-driven NOTCH mode selection. The knob would simply be in the correct mode depending on the target parameter. Either in continous value mode (0..127 or -64..+64) or notch mode (with as many steps as the controlled paramater requires), automatically.

This is possible, useful and required for a proper use of the Combinator knobs with non-continous value parameters.
CombinatorII

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-05-04 at 03:38. Reason: link update
Old 2007-05-06, 13:55

Automatic NOTCH MODE FOR COMBINATOR ROTARY KNOBS

ah, I see now that you already did mention the "automatic" possibility.

Good ...because it's the way it makes the most sense and it's so weird to not have this already at Reason 3.0.
What were they thinking ?!

---------------------------------------
It just occured to me as well that to simplify this idea further the notch mode could be automatic. So for example if you assign a rotary controller to a Matrix pattern selector, set the range in the programmer to maybe 0-15 then the rotary pot could automatically be split into this many divisions. The rotary controller would snap/click into these positions as you rotate it. The maximum resolution for the rotary controller notch mode would only need to be 32 positions as this is the maximum number of selectable options you get on any device (not the 64 maximum that I first suggested) i.e. 32 Subtractor waveforms or 32 patterns on a matrix/Redrum)
:
:
:
No need for manual selection of notch mode.
Old 2007-05-09, 22:31

Yes - Make it automatic! (+ a possible caveat)

Now we're talking! If this will work, it's a definite thumbs up from me. The only problem I could imagine would be that, although this should work nicely as far as is concerned the Combinator communicating with the devices inside it, but a MIDI controller would still be sending a 0-127 signal to the Combi, wouldn't it? I'm no techie, but I assume that the only problem would be that the value on the controller display wouldn't be correct?

Anyway, to expand on the idea, considering that the rotary will have to spread shorter ranges (e.g. for LFO destination) over the same span it uses for a full 0-127 range, the rotary should smoothly snap to the key-points, so that you don't have to check the device parameter to make sure you're at the right spot.

/spork
Old 2007-05-10, 10:55

Re: Yes - Make it automatic! (+ a possible caveat)

: but a MIDI controller would still be sending a 0-127 signal to the Combi, wouldn't it?

As long as the Combinator knob snaps to the correct values even while receiving the 0-127 range from the controller, it would give a visual cue. That would be (not perfect but) better than the current solution.

: Anyway, to expand on the idea, considering that the rotary will have to spread shorter ranges (e.g. for LFO destination) over the same span it uses for a full 0-127 range, the rotary should smoothly snap to the key-points, so that you don't have to check the device parameter to make sure you're at the right spot.

Exactly.
Combinator Knob Value's

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-05-04 at 03:35. Reason: link update
Old 2007-05-16, 12:24

Re: Yes - Make it automatic! (+ a possible caveat)

: : but a MIDI controller would still be sending a 0-127 signal to the Combi, wouldn't it?
:
: As long as the Combinator knob snaps to the correct values even while receiving the 0-127 range from the controller, it would give a visual cue. That would be (not perfect but) better than the current solution.
:
: : Anyway, to expand on the idea, considering that the rotary will have to spread shorter ranges (e.g. for LFO destination) over the same span it uses for a full 0-127 range, the rotary should smoothly snap to the key-points, so that you don't have to check the device parameter to make sure you're at the right spot.
:
: Exactly.

Nice idea. This should work much better than my original idea of having a menu with rotary 'notch' values. Make it work automatically. Brilliant.
Old 2007-06-01, 10:56

What would be interesting is if the notch mode aspect could be automated so that the dials automatically represent the source inputs values based on what device is being used and overridden by what has been programmed in the combinator itself. I'm sure this is possible for the front dials to become device/program settings aware.

Might be a bit of a headache for the logician's to work this out but I believe would totally transform the combinator.
Old 2007-06-20, 00:54

REASON 4 Combi updates

I didn't see anything about ...

NOTCH MODE FOR COMBINATOR ROTARIES

... in the Combinator update section of the Reason 4 unveiling :-(