Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2007-05-25, 16:48

Getting a good Rhodes sound in Reason 3 ????????

Peace Phamily

I like to produce neo soul, lounge, jazz step drum n bass type sounds. What is key to these sounds is the Rhodes to give it that soulful sound. I have found some Rhodes, but they don't have that sound of the Chords like I hear in the sample loops (which are too short for me to use and make whole songs).

I don't play the piano natively and I am wondering how would you get that good Rhodes sound? It sounds like a Rhodes mixed with an Organ type sound.

For those who have Reason 3, the following Dr. Rex Loops have the sound I am talking about that I would like to emulate [ I am currently using an Edirol PCR m50 Midi Controller]:

Reason Factory Sound Bank Music Loops Variable Tempo (Rex2) Downtempo

- - - 090_Running_Rhodes (1 and 2)
- - - 090 Smooth_Rhodes
- - - 100_Phase Rhodes

If anyone can point me to how to emulate those sounds I would be greatfull. I know eLab makes some good Rhodes sound, but I want to create my own.

The current refills that I have now exclusively with Rhodes sounds for NNXT or NN19 are

Peff 018 Mark I
Peff 018a Rhodes Patches
Triton Rhodes
raapie#Rhodes

I should ask specifically, what types of effects do I need to add to get em to sound like the Rhodes in the above examples and not plain like the 4 right above this text?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 2007-05-25, 19:56

Re: Getting a good Rhodes sound in Reason 3 ????????

If you expand the edit window in the NNXT, and load up the Rhodes MK sample, you can simulate vibrato by selecting all of the individual samples at once, and using LFO2 to modulate the pan.

Hope that helps!!!!!
Old 2007-05-25, 20:21

: Peace Phamily
:
: I like to produce neo soul, lounge, jazz step drum n bass type sounds. What is key to these sounds is the Rhodes to give it that soulful sound. I have found some Rhodes, but they don't have that sound of the Chords like I hear in the sample loops (which are too short for me to use and make whole songs).
:
: I don't play the piano natively and I am wondering how would you get that good Rhodes sound? It sounds like a Rhodes mixed with an Organ type sound.
:
: For those who have Reason 3, the following Dr. Rex Loops have the sound I am talking about that I would like to emulate [ I am currently using an Edirol PCR m50 Midi Controller]:
:
: Reason Factory Sound Bank Music Loops Variable Tempo (Rex2) Downtempo
:
: - - - 090_Running_Rhodes (1 and 2)
: - - - 090 Smooth_Rhodes
: - - - 100_Phase Rhodes
:
: If anyone can point me to how to emulate those sounds I would be greatfull. I know eLab makes some good Rhodes sound, but I want to create my own.
:
: The current refills that I have now exclusively with Rhodes sounds for NNXT or NN19 are
:
: Peff 018 Mark I
: Peff 018a Rhodes Patches
: Triton Rhodes
: raapie#Rhodes
:
: I should ask specifically, what types of effects do I need to add to get em to sound like the Rhodes in the above examples and not plain like the 4 right above this text?
:
: Any help is appreciated.

if you register your copy of reason you can download a great refill that has what ur looking for. its called electro mechanical refill.
Old 2007-05-25, 20:23

I actually already have that refill and it doesn't have what I need. It just has loops, but not anything I can play on my own with that sound for nnxt, subtractor, nn19 or subtraktor.
Old 2007-05-25, 20:27

: I actually already have that refill and it doesn't have what I need. It just has loops, but not anything I can play on my own with that sound for nnxt, subtractor, nn19 or subtraktor.
http://www.propellerheads.se/board/general/index.cfm?nextStop=displayMsg&d
Old 2007-05-25, 20:27

And I should make it more clear, I have more than enough Rhodes refills. I am just looking for the effects set up to make it sound like the ones in the loops provided by Reason.
Old 2007-05-25, 20:28

: : I actually already have that refill and it doesn't have what I need. It just has loops, but not anything I can play on my own with that sound for nnxt, subtractor, nn19 or subtraktor.

whoops!

i meant to post this:

http://www.propellerheads.se/download/refills/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_art
Old 2007-05-25, 20:29

: And I should make it more clear, I have more than enough Rhodes refills. I am just looking for the effects set up to make it sound like the ones in the loops provided by Reason.

try some delay, reverb.
Old 2007-05-25, 20:50

: try some delay, reverb.

I've actually tried that, but it just doesn't give me that sound. I'm hoping someone who makes jazzstep drum n bass, or neo-soul music who uses reason could hip me to the technigue. Reverb and delay isn't cutting it.

It's more so for the lounge effect.
Old 2007-05-25, 20:55

: : try some delay, reverb.
:
: I've actually tried that, but it just doesn't give me that sound. I'm hoping someone who makes jazzstep drum n bass, or neo-soul music who uses reason could hip me to the technigue. Reverb and delay isn't cutting it.
:
: It's more so for the lounge effect.

i think i'm pretty sure i know what ur talking about. i listen to dnb and make it. ur looking for like a ltj bukem type rhodes, no? you need to do some tweaking with the rhodes patches in that electro mechanical 2. thats ur ticket bro.