Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2007-06-14, 18:41

My last "Feature Suggestion" post (or something like that).

As of today, I'm "Reasonless" (i.e. with no access to a full version of Reason) and for a (very long) time, I'm afraid.

So, I guess I'd better "dump" here all the various notes I've been taking about what I missed while using Reason now and forget about it

Not every suggestion here is mine, of course. I mixed mine with others I've seen here and agree with.

This is just a quick copy-paste from a .txt file I used to keep track of these things while using Reason or reading this forum, so sorry for any weird grammar or typos.

So, if you don't like long posts or you're tired of these crazy "Feature Suggestion" threads, now's the time to skip to a more interesting thread

-----------------------------------------

GUI:
- Multi-column Rack
- Device icons on each menu item

Browser:
- Favorites as a folder tree (aka virtual file system)
- Show files inside ReFills greyed instead of hidden
- Possibility of dragging a folder tree to favorites and automatically get all the sub-folders created.

Sequencer:
- Drag'n'Drop'ing a device on a track should assign/connect that device to that track
- Device track assignment selection through a Cascading menu by device hierarchy/type (devices inside Combinators as sub-items)
- Vector-like modes on parameter editing (like using the SHIFT key when designing Matrix curves)
- Optional Tempo master track

reMix:
- Possibility to hide/collapse various sections (Aux, Eq, ...) so multi mixer setups only display the needed sections saving rack/screen space

Combinator:
- A Transpose setting, for each device (like existing note range)
- Knobs should snap to the correct target parameter values automatically
- Micro-display per knob showing the target parameter's value changes
- Multiple note range segments
- CV triggable "Run pattern devices" and "Turn effects off"
- Extra global volume (CC07) knob/slider to control every internal device volume
- Extra hideable section/segment with 8 to 10 sliders, knob+buttons or drawbars(!!!)
- Note/Gate CV internal output (like existing audio)
- Note/Gate CV internal to external output (like existing audio)

NN-XT:
- Support for .sfz format (like existing .sf2 support)
- Wave graphic display for visual loop point editing
- Optional time stretched pitch-shifting mode

Matrix:
- Loop Start CV trigger input with various modes:
- "Play once": (a.k.a. "Single Shot")
- "Start": to ignore the global START transport and only start after the first trigger.
- "Start/Stop": the same as the above but the second trigger would stop the sequence.
- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts (a bit like controlling the START button through a Sustain on/off pedal).
- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the step cursor each time the CV signal stops.
- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current step's values and advance to the next step, bypassing the Matrix internal "clock" or resolution setting.-
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32(or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)
- More automation/combinator controllable parameters, like step selection, resolution selection
- Step cursor control through MIDI surface/keyboard
- Direct note+gate+curve(mod wheel?) input from MIDI surface/keyboard
- Paste (up to 32) note from sequencer to pattern
- More steps... 64 maybe ?
- Arpeggiator mode (matrix of played note order vs time)
- Show/Hide modes to the 3 displays (Note matrix, Gate now, Curve display). With this, one could have a more compact use of the rack when using just 1 of the possible signals (or expand to see all 3 at the same time, if required).

Dr.REX:
- Embedded ReCycle for in-rack .wav/.aiff slicing and saving as .rex
- Note/Gate CV input
- Loop Start CV trigger input with various modes
- "Play once": (a.k.a. "Single Shot")
- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts.
- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the slice cursor each time the CV signal stops.
- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current slice and advance to the next slice.
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32 (or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)

ReDrum:
- Loop Start CV trigger input with various modes (*check Matrix)
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32 (or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)
- Paste (up to 64) notes (C1-A1 range) from sequencer to pattern
- Possibility to hide/collapse some sections useful in a multi ReDrum setup to only display the needed sections saving rack/screen space

Malstrom:
- Loadable alternate graintable sets

T**r:
- erm... detailed specs and more screenshots, including T**r's back?

New Effects Devices
- Pitch shifter
- hmmm... a trueish Leslie emulator ?

New CV Devices: (*please check "Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" thread for details)
- Arpeggiator (standalone or part of a new advanced CV processing device... or new Matrix mode)
- Spider CV II (backwards compatible enhanced Spider CV)
- MIDI2CV
- CV envelope/shaper (with invert and CV Sample&Hold triggable by CV)
- MicroTuner/NoteDetector

other Feature Suggestions (sorted by impossibility ratio ;P):
- Patch selection through MIDI "Program Change"
- MIDI-out
- Audio-IN
- Audio-Recording
- VST hosting
- Virtual MIDI (CV-like) cables and in/out on each device for in-rack poly-note processing and rerouting (PeterTools-like)

.done.
"Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" thread

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-04-14 at 11:26. Reason: Link to a forum thread updated to the new Forum URLs
Old 2007-06-15, 16:31

All good points Koshdukai

: All good points, apparently Props already have a good idea of what thier product is. Which makes me wonder why they have a forum in the first place.

If you like you can help me gather ideas for Liven which is my open source virtual rack based instrument that I will eventually write one day.
My Website. (wiki)
Old 2007-06-15, 18:05

Re: All good points Koshdukai

: All good points,

Thank you. Some of those are yours too, so...
btw, I guess I should post a retouched version of it... heck, I'll do it later.

: apparently Props already have a good idea of what thier product is.

Sure, but... Reason 5 ? eheh

: Which makes me wonder why they have a forum in the first place.
:

From what I could gather, this forum is just one of a set of resources they use when they brainstorm for a new product.

: If you like you can help me gather ideas for Liven which is my open source virtual rack based instrument that I will eventually write one day.
:

I guess the best advice to anyone wanting to make an open source "Reason-like" app, would be to start with a "simple" Rack-like VST-host.
Due to the chaotic VST-GUIs out there, it would be impossible to fit the standard VSTs into the Rack look'n'feel, but that could be solved exactly like I suggested for Reason, through a generic rack-device serving as a simple interface to the VST. At the front it could have some generic knobs to tweak configurable vst parameters and at the back it would have MIDI IN, OUT, Audio(s) IN and OUT according to the query it would make to the VST (instrument would have MIDI IN, Audio OUT, Effects would have Audio IN and OUT, some hybrid VSTs would have a mix or all of these).
The VST GUI would only be shown on an external window if requested/activated by the user.

Besides this generic device, it would show in-rack (like Reason) only those VSTs developed acording to the GUI-specs of the rack. The app would know what type of VST was being loaded by querying the VST.

This approach, IMHO, would be the best to start with, because one could focus the energy of development on the rack functionality at first, maybe making a small set of custom developped VSTs as an example (1 synth, 1 reverb) but usable enough to be usefull. As simple as it could be in the beguinning, it would be open enough to anyone still use existing VSTs in a virtual rack way, like with Reason.

The problem with this approach would be that VSTs is Win32/64 specific and to be used in a *ix environment, one would have to include wrapper code that would use WINE to make the VST runnable (like the DSSI plugin wrapper for Win32 VST plugins on some existing open source apps).

All this being said, I'm glad someone's planning to bring the virtual-rack concept to the open source world

I'll keep an eye on your Liven project and jump in as soon as I see that there's something interesting to do
"Do You Want to Design the Next Version of Reason?" 2005
Old 2007-06-16, 17:05

(er.. still) My last "Feature Suggestion" post (ReVisited ;)

: So, if you don't like long posts or you're tired of these crazy "Feature Suggestion" threads, now's the time to skip to a more interesting thread
:

I know I'm talking to the wind here, but I just can't resist.
I've been looking at this thread and started to remember some things I didn't get to put on that .txt (maybe because some were too wacky), so, here we go (again):

-----------------------------------------

Reason 3.0:
- An entry level 149.99€ for home hobbyists
-- Use only 1 master MIDI controller and an aditional MIDI surface
-- Use only DirectX sound card (no ASIO)
-- Save to .RSN (but not .RPS)
-- Audio export at 16bit/22KHz
-- Full patch save capabilities
-- with the full Reason Factory Sound Bank
-- without the Orkester Sound Bank
- An entry level 99.99€ for amateur sound designers or refill creators
-- Use only 1 master MIDI controller and an aditional MIDI surface
-- Use only DirectX sound card (no ASIO)
-- Save to .RSN (but not .RPS)
-- Full patch save capabilities
-- Audio export at 16bit/44KHz for 1min (just for HiQ demos of patches)
-- Includes just the Demo Sound Bank
-- if needed, it could be crippled: sound engine stops after 60 mins of use but app doesn't quit

GUI:
- Snapshot option for full-size Rack "screenshot" (Front and Back, maybe side by side) to song .jpg file
- Multi-column view of Rack
- Resizable window (with "Resize to fit rack" and "Resize to default" for traditional Reason size)
- Zoom to selected device external window (useful with rack resized to less than 100% for overview)
- Device icons on each menu item

Browser:
- Favourites as a folder tree (aka virtual file system)
- Show files inside ReFills greyed instead of hidden
- Possibility of dragging a folder tree to favourites and automatically get all the sub-folders created.

Sequencer:
- Drag'n'Drop'ing a device on a track should assign/connect that device to that track
- Device track assignment selection through a Cascading menu by device hierarchy/type (devices inside Combinators as sub-items)
- Vector-like modes on parameter editing (like using the SHIFT key when designing Matrix curves)
- Optional Tempo master track

reMIX:
- Possibility to hide/collapse various sections (Aux, Eq, ...) so multi mixer setups only display the needed sections saving rack/screen space
- Level CV out for each slider, so the reMix could double as a virtual CV controller
- Audio output for each channel (much more practical than using a bunch of Audio Spiders when ReWired)

Combinator:
- A Transpose setting, for each device (like existing note range)
- Extra global volume (CC07) knob/slider to control every internal device volume
- Extra hideable section/segment with 8 to 10 sliders, knob+buttons or drawbars(!!!)
- Extra Aux CV input for generic use inside combinator
- Note, Gate and generic extra Aux CV output (internal input to external output, like audio)
- Note, Gate and Aux CV internal output (so internal devices can use the Combinator's external input)
- Mod Wheel internal CV output

NN-XT:
- Optional time stretched pitch-shifting mode
- Audio input for sampling (even more usefull if Audio IN implemented) and saving to .wav/.aiff

Matrix:
- Little (Automation and MIDI controllable) Next/Previous Pattern front panel
-- "Play once": (a.k.a. "Single Shot")
-- "Start": to ignore the global START transport and only start after the first trigger.
-- "Start/Stop": the same as the above but the second trigger would stop the sequence.
-- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts (a bit like controlling the START button through a Sustain on/off pedal).
-- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the step cursor each time the CV signal stops.
-- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current step's values and advance to the next step, bypassing the Matrix internal "clock" or resolution setting.-
- More automation/combinator controllable parameters, like step selection, resolution selection
- Arpeggiator mode (matrix of played note order vs time)
- PolyTrigger/Drum mode (with respective 13 CV trigger outputs, like having a 32 steps x 13 channel ReDrum in one display)
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32(or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)
- Show/Hide modes to the 3 displays (Note matrix, Gate now, Curve display). With this, one could have a more compact use of the rack when using just 1 of the possible signals (or expand to see all 3 at the same time, if required).
- Pattern selection CV input (direct CV control instead of taking up a Combinator knob's CV in)
- Next/Previous Pattern CV input triggers
- Rotate Pattern Left/Right CV input triggers

Dr.REX:
- Audio input for sampling (even more usefull if Audio IN implemented)
- CV triggable sampling for real-time audio sample & hold
- More Slices (maybe 127?)
-- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts.
-- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the slice cursor each time the CV signal stops.
-- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current slice and advance to the next slice.
- Note/Gate CV input for slice selection and triggering or at least a Slice cursor CV input (*almost like the Matrix Step cursor CV input request)

ReDrum:
- Little (Automation and MIDI controllable) Next/Previous Pattern front panel
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..64 possible step positions.
- Possibility to hide/collapse some sections useful in a multi ReDrum setup to only display the needed sections saving rack/screen space
- Pattern selection CV input (direct CV control instead of taking up a Combinator knob's CV in)
- Next/Previous Pattern CV input trigger

Malstrom:
- Mini Wave editor, to view, edit or create alternative OSC waves
- Mini Wave-chain/table editor

T**r:
- erm... detailed specs and more screenshots, including T**r's back?

New Effects Devices
- Enhanced ECF-42 (*check "ECF-43" - GBathgate2 2007-05-27 15:00)
- Pitch shifter
- hmmm... a trueish Leslie emulator ?

New CV Devices: (*check "Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" - Koshdukai 2007-05-23 22:52)
- Arpeggiator (standalone or part of a new advanced CV processing device... or new Matrix mode)
- Spider CV II (backwards compatible enhanced Spider CV)
- MIDI2CV
- MicroTuner/NoteDetector
- ReTrax: A Tracker-like instrument device (almost like a ReDrum device but with a vertical multi-column sequencer window with note+gate info per cel)
-- with Note/Gate CV outputs per track/channel
-- capable of importing various MOD/Tracker file formats, like .S3M, .IT, ... ?

other Feature Suggestions:
- MIDI-out
- Audio-IN
- Audio-Recording
- VST hosting
- Virtual MIDI (CV-like) cables and in/out on each device for in-rack poly-note processing and rerouting (think Peter Tools's LiveSet rack backside)

"Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" thread
Old 2007-07-11, 00:18

time for a Reason 4 aware Revised version if this list

Remote:
- Make available to Remote some device parameters in context/aware of the audio path of the selected instrument (i.e. provide some extra spare CC's to control the knobs/sliders/buttons of the reMix channel to which the selected device is connected to)
- Visual feedback for selected "Keyboard Shortcut Variations" maybe through an optional "Remote Display" device available for each MIDI surface connected, useful when using surfaces/keyboards without display feedback

Browser:
- Favorites as a folder tree (aka virtual file system)
- Show files inside ReFills greyed instead of hidden (i.e. show samples, songs, midi when browsing for patches)
- Possibility of dragging a folder tree to favorites and automatically get all the sub-folders created.

GUI:
- Multi-column view of Rack (n X standard width Rack)
- Mouse wheel should also be used to change values, knobs, sliders and wheels when hovering those objects with mouse pointer
- Snapshot option for full-size Rack "screenshot" (Front and Back, maybe side by side) to a songname .jpg file
- Resizable window (with "Resize to fit rack" and "Resize to default" for traditional Reason size)
- Zoomable external window for selected device (useful when rack resized to less than 100% for overview)
Requests (kinda) addressed by R4:
+ Device icons on each menu item = through Tool Window's The Device pane

Sequencer:
- Multi track recording (not only from Master Keyboard)
- Device track assignment selection through a Cascading menu by device hierarchy/type (devices inside Combinators as sub-items, like right-clicking a cable connection)
- Tap Tempo (check *Tap Tempo - Again - MusicDir 2007-06-21 19:52)
- Drag'n'Drop'ing a device on a track should assign that device to that track
Requests addressed by R4:
+ Vector-like modes on parameter editing (like using the SHIFT key when designing Matrix curves)
+ Optional Tempo master track

reMIX:
- Aux knobs CV in (at least for Aux 1 and 2)
- Level CV out for each slider, so the reMix could double as a virtual CV controller
- Stereo audio output for each channel (much more practical than using a bunch of Audio Spiders when ReWired)

Combinator:
- Extra global volume (CC07) knob/slider to control every internal device volume, just like Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel (CC01)
- Extra Aux CV input for generic use inside combinator
- Note, Gate and generic extra Aux CV output (internal input to external output, like audio)
- Note, Gate and Aux CV internal output (so selected internal devices can capture the Combinator's external input)
- Mod Wheel internal CV output
- Internal extra auxiliary panel just for CV to Automation convertion. Maybe 16 CV inputs at the back and a Routing matrix at the front. It would free up the use of the rotary CV input for this and it would solve the problem of changing parameters on some devices lacking CV inputs.
+ A Transpose setting, for each device (like existing note range) = DONE in improved Combinator

NN-XT:
- Fixed pitch Time-stretching
- Fixed time Pitch-shifting
- Audio input for sampling (even more usefull if Audio IN implemented) and saving to .wav/.aiff

Matrix:
- Little (Automation and MIDI/Remote controllable) Next/Previous Pattern front panel buttons
-- "Start": to ignore the global START transport and only start after the first trigger.
-- "Start/Stop": the same as the above but the second trigger would stop the sequence.
-- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts (a bit like controlling the START button through a Sustain on/off pedal).
-- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the step cursor each time the CV signal stops.
-- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current step's values and advance to the next step, bypassing the Matrix internal "clock" or resolution setting.-
- PolyTrigger/Drum mode (with respective 13 CV trigger outputs, like having a 32 steps x 13 channel ReDrum in one display)
- Next/Previous Pattern CV input triggers
- Rotate Pattern Left/Right CV input triggers
- Make more of the available buttons/knobs/selectors controlable through MIDI/Remote and Combinator.
+Arpeggiator mode (matrix of played note order vs time) = DONE through RPG-8

Dr.REX:
- Audio input for sampling (usable for internal sampling even if Audio IN is not implemented)
- CV triggable sampling for real-time audio sample & hold
- More Slices (maybe 127?)
-- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts.
-- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the slice cursor each time the CV signal stops.
-- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current slice and advance to the next slice.
- Note/Gate CV input for slice selection and triggering or at least a Slice cursor CV input (*almost like the Matrix Step cursor CV input request)
- Make more of the available buttons/knobs/selectors controllable through MIDI/Remote and Combinator.

ReDrum:
- Little (Automation and MIDI/Remote controllable) Next/Previous Pattern front panel
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..64 possible step positions.
- Next/Previous Pattern CV input trigger
- Make more of the available buttons/knobs/selectors controllable through MIDI/Remote and Combinator.

Malstrom:
- Mini Wave editor, to view, edit or create alternative OSC waves
- Mini Wave-chain/table editor

Thor:
- Need screenshots of the back

RPG-8:
- Need screenshots of the back

New Effects Devices
- Pitch shifter
- a trueish Leslie emulator
Requests (possibly) addressed by R4:
+Enhanced ECF-42 (*check "ECF-43" - GBathgate2 2007-05-27 15:00) = Maybe Thor's filters take care of this ?

New CV Devices: (*check "Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" - Koshdukai 2007-05-23 22:52)
- Spider CV II (a backwards compatible enhanced Spider CV)
- MicroTuner
- ReTrax: A Tracker-like instrument device (almost like a ReDrum device but with a vertical multi-column sequencer window with note+gate info per cel)
-- with Note/Gate CV outputs per track/channel
-- capable of importing various MOD/Tracker file formats, like .S3M, .IT, ... ?
Requests (more or less) addressed by R4:
+ Arpeggiator (standalone or part of a new advanced CV processing device... or new Matrix mode) = DONE with RPG-8
+ NoteDetector = DONE with Vocoder+Combinator Transpose
+ MIDI2CV = DONE with RPG-8

other Feature Suggestions:
- MIDI-out
- Audio-IN/Sampling
- Audio-Recording/Tracks (if possible, using Celemony's Melodyne technology. It would be perfect!)
- Embedded ReCycle functionality (mentioned above in Dr.REX)
- VST hosting
- Virtual MIDI (CV-like) cables and in/out on each device for in-rack poly-note processing and rerouting (think Peter Tools's LiveSet rack backside)