Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2007-09-07, 19:34

Reason 4 NEEDS Multi-core Support!!

Propellerhead brags when it comes to how lean and cpu efficient Reason is, "It's lighter on your cpu than any other digital studio out there" they would say, and they are right, but it is definitely NOT the most cpu efficient, ESPECIALLY on multi-core computers. Let me give you an example...

Propeller Rep: "Our Reason system is very cpu efficient and takes less cpu than any other audio software!"
Prospective Buyer: "But does it offer multi-core support?"
Propeller Rep: "Uh... no."
Prospective Buyer: "So then even if Fruity Loops Studio, your competitor, uses 150% more cpu than Reason, wouldn't I be able to run it smoother because it distributes the load evenly across my dual core, therefore using 75% of each cpu instead of 100% of one, while completely ignoring the other, like Reason does?"
Propeller Rep: "Uhhh, uhhh... maybe?"

Dual and quad core computers have been around for a while now and they have been replacing a lot of single core computers. It's more common to see a computer with 2 processors running at 1.6ghz (3.2ghz total) than with 1 processor at 2.4ghz. Yet the weaker 2.4ghz would run Reason better because Propellerhead, unlike all of their competitors, are too lazy to implement multi-core support! So the 3.2ghz computer will actually only be able to use 1.6ghz to run Reason with. For a serious producer who builds complex combinator patches, has many sequencer tracks, and who is also looking for smooth performance, Reason's lack of multi-core support is a very troubling setback. For several of my friends, and myself included, whether Reason 4 includes multi-core support is the major deciding factor of whether we intend to buy the program or not.

Please Propellerhead, don't be cheap and skip implementing such a crucial and common feature in all other applications today, include multi-core support for Reason 4. If it somehow interrupts your plans for the release date, then do it in the form of a free path Reason users can download from your site later to fix up this terrible limitation and inefficiency in cpu usage.
Old 2007-09-08, 20:20

Re: Reason 4 NEEDS Multi-core Support!!

: Propellerhead brags when it comes to how lean and cpu efficient Reason is, "It's lighter on your cpu than any other digital studio out there" they would say, and they are right, but it is definitely NOT the most cpu efficient, ESPECIALLY on multi-core computers. Let me give you an example...
:
: Propeller Rep: "Our Reason system is very cpu efficient and takes less cpu than any other audio software!"
: Prospective Buyer: "But does it offer multi-core support?"
: Propeller Rep: "Uh... no."
: Prospective Buyer: "So then even if Fruity Loops Studio, your competitor, uses 150% more cpu than Reason, wouldn't I be able to run it smoother because it distributes the load evenly across my dual core, therefore using 75% of each cpu instead of 100% of one, while completely ignoring the other, like Reason does?"
: Propeller Rep: "Uhhh, uhhh... maybe?"
:
: Dual and quad core computers have been around for a while now and they have been replacing a lot of single core computers. It's more common to see a computer with 2 processors running at 1.6ghz (3.2ghz total) than with 1 processor at 2.4ghz. Yet the weaker 2.4ghz would run Reason better because Propellerhead, unlike all of their competitors, are too lazy to implement multi-core support! So the 3.2ghz computer will actually only be able to use 1.6ghz to run Reason with. For a serious producer who builds complex combinator patches, has many sequencer tracks, and who is also looking for smooth performance, Reason's lack of multi-core support is a very troubling setback. For several of my friends, and myself included, whether Reason 4 includes multi-core support is the major deciding factor of whether we intend to buy the program or not.
:
: Please Propellerhead, don't be cheap and skip implementing such a crucial and common feature in all other applications today, include multi-core support for Reason 4. If it somehow interrupts your plans for the release date, then do it in the form of a free path Reason users can download from your site later to fix up this terrible limitation and inefficiency in cpu usage.

Yes I am with you on this man!
Old 2007-09-10, 01:31

Yes I am with you on this man!

i also have to agree. the name of the game is to stay ahead of the competition.

the props seem not to want to do that....how very strange!
Old 2007-09-15, 00:15
jongenshon

Does 4 actually now have dual processor capabilities, since i'm on the run for buying a new pc, while running on a single amd3000 now... if it is true what you say, it seems it dont benefit me..at all?
Old 2007-09-15, 02:32

"Does 4 actually now have dual processor capabilities, since i'm on the run for buying a new pc, while running on a single amd3000 now... if it is true what you say, it seems it dont benefit me..at all?"

R4 will still run on your machine if it has 2, 4 or even 8 processors, but it will only use one of them. So basically, if you have a computer with a single 3.2ghz processor, you'll be better off than some guy who has a quadcore with 2.8ghz processing power per CPU. The quadcore guy may have over 10ghz in processing power total, but Reason will limit itself to only using 2.8ghz of that 10ghz since it doesn't have multi-core support, and therefore won't spread the load across all 4 CPUs, but instead dump it all on one.

If you're going to buy a multi-core PC to run R3 or R4 on then make sure that EACH CPU has AT LEAST 2ghz of processing power. 2ghz is a good top and you'll most likely never go past it, but that's not to say that it isn't possible. I think that 2.4ghz or more is the safest you can get, unless you rewire Reason into another DAW, like FL, Cubase or Pro Tools... then you may need more.

All in all I think deciding what kind of computer to get because Reason doesn't support multi-cores is just unfair, Props should just patch it up and give it at least dual core support. That'd make a ton of people happier.
Old 2007-09-16, 19:46
jongenshon

thx for your explanation. thing is, i use reason as songwriting tool but! i do also use reaper (which i really enjoy) for doing the vocals and mixing down as much as sperate audio tracks from reason thru rewire...when needed fcorse. so when you think of that, would it be so that when using reaper and reason thru rewire, it does run smoother? since reaper does use multicore, so the total cpu spreaded over the whole system, should benefit from a muli system vs my singel amd3000, right? even if reason isn't supporting multi thread. but reason should!!! update this

then again i wouldn't go for less that 2ghz/processor as you mentioned

thanks, john
Old 2007-09-17, 23:54

Hmmm, that gets tricky, I don't know whether a host that supports multi-core processors would enable Reason, in slave mode, with multi-core support because Reason is rewired into it. My best guess is that all the sounds you are generating and playing are all still being processed by Reason and without the multi-core support. Rewiring Reason into another program just syncs the sequencers, more or less. But as long as you get something over 2ghz, or at least over 2.4ghz, then you should be good.
Old 2007-09-18, 02:00

Reason uses more than one CPU!

: it will only use one of them.

*That* *is* *not* *correct!!*

Reason uses threads. For example threads for displaying. And I can say from own experience, that Reason provides from more than one CPU. For example: You can put the preferences-slide, of how much CPU Reason can use, up to 100%. Cause the Event-Handling is another thread, which runs on the other free CPU!
You can test this: Try Reason with dualcore up to the limit. Even at extremly CPU-intensive songs, you can work with Reason. Now open the task manager, find all Reason-Threads (membership) and force the threads to work only on one CPU (right mouseclick, belongs to).
Old 2007-09-18, 03:00

thing with all of that though, is also the operating system. ok , running xp on my dual core amd x2..

someone noticed amd released a patch on the amd site which increased the performance by a lot, i benchmarked it and there was a great improvement.

my machine shipped with xp-media centre not 64-xp.. also the update to vista is again 32 bit which seems more the standard thing for operating systems.. u might see most new machines ship with the 32 bit versions of vista, but that seems the "normal" thing. Even though the pc is 64 bit, the only 64 bit OS I have is of suse linux.

I find it odd, they should just standardise it regardless of applications/os etc so it adapts to the type of cpu you have, oh well not a perfect world... hehe
Old 2007-09-18, 16:18
Elthariel

Implementing multi-core support in an audio application is quite tricky. It's not a simple feature that could be added in an afternoon. This depends on the basement's design of the software. Realtime software (as audio ones) generally use more than one thread (the other solution is to emulate scheduling ...). But there is most of the time only one audio thread, due to synchronisation issue.
Here comes the problem, multi-threading is what makes a program run on the different cores at the same time.
Then if we want to compute audio on the 2 cores, we need 2 audio threads. So, still due to synchronisation issue we have fo find out (dynamically) 2 'audio paths' that could be rendered each on a different cpus. But we we came at reason this is not that simple because we can interconnect everything to everything else.

In the case of reason it could (never read the code introduce big changes in the core of the program. When we say introducing new things in the core, we means by the way potentially introduces bugs etc. Even if a propellerhead software is correctly tested before releasing we could undertand that they prefer for the moment introducing new musical features.

Let them the time to do it. I personnally prefer to have a _really_ reliable software than a program which runs on many core. And, after all, you could really use a lot of machines even at 192kHz before lacking of cpu.

Regards,
Elthariel.