Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2007-11-15, 03:21

CLIPS SUCK! Let me turn them off!

I don't know why they had to change the way midi blocks work in reason. The old way rocked, it's simple logic made reason easy to use. This new clip system sucks! I am continually frustrated by it each time I use this software, and in often for new reasons. Today is one of those days. I am so frustrated by these damn clips that I am stopping in the middle of a recording session to vent on this site in the vague hope that the programmers might listen and give us the option to turn this god damn clip thing off! Clips interfere with automation, and especially for loop tracks where keeping midi in neat chunks is preferable. Yes I know that I could put one long clip to overlap the other clips, but why would I want to do that? Automation should be separate from the clips or in the very least have separate clips. God I am starting to consider going back to version three. Even Thor doesn't make it worth this crap.
Old 2007-11-15, 03:32

Clips mess up automation!

Automation on rex tracks has gone from being relatively simple with the old versions of reason to being either completely broken or just generally more complicated than it should be. Why the f#%k would I want clips from the tracks above me to cut into the automation I am working on? This is seriously not good people. Please, please change make clips optional. Not just optional to turn off, but an option to turn on. If given the option I would never, never use these annoying little bastards. Is anyone from Propellerhead listening? This much I can say for sure, I will never buy another upgrade for this program if they keep this system the way it is.
Old 2007-11-15, 09:35

Re: CLIPS SUCK! Let me turn them off!

: I don't know why they had to change the way midi blocks work in reason. The old way rocked, it's simple logic made reason easy to use. This new clip system sucks! I am continually frustrated by it each time I use this software, and in often for new reasons. Today is one of those days. I am so frustrated by these damn clips that I am stopping in the middle of a recording session to vent on this site in the vague hope that the programmers might listen and give us the option to turn this god damn clip thing off! Clips interfere with automation, and especially for loop tracks where keeping midi in neat chunks is preferable. Yes I know that I could put one long clip to overlap the other clips, but why would I want to do that? Automation should be separate from the clips or in the very least have separate clips. God I am starting to consider going back to version three. Even Thor doesn't make it worth this crap.

I Agree, working with clips is complicated and tiresome. I dont need them, they only slows down the editing...I like a color of a new sequencer and a keyboard switches - qwert, but I dont like the clips and new vector automation...The old sequencer concept was very sympathetic...
Old 2007-11-15, 12:37

Re: Clips mess up automation!

: Why the f#%k would I want clips from the tracks above me to cut into the automation I am working on?

I don't get what you are saying here. Is there any chance you could give a step by step example of what you are doing (screen shots would excellent if possible)? I have just created a REX track and applied automation without any problems. I am not saying there is no problem I just don't understand what it is. Thanks.
Old 2007-11-15, 12:43

Re: Clips mess up automation!

: I have just created a REX track and applied automation without any problems.
####
Ditto.
No problems using or automating DrRex for me either.

:-B
ReSkwirrell 4.0.1 beta
Old 2007-11-15, 16:10

It turns out there are two automation types

I figured out that there are two places that create automation tracks. One on the top right corner of the track area, the other on the top center. The one on the top works fine, the one on the right must be made for something else. It puts the automation on the same track as the notes and makes it very hard to work with. I got it working about five minutes after posting.
Old 2007-11-15, 16:48

Yeah! And they cause dandruff and bad breath too!!!!

OK, I'm joking obviously. I admit that at first I was not entirely comfortable with the new sequencer. I had gotten so used to the old one that the new one just didn't feel right. But after working with it for a while I'm not just comfortable with it, I wouldn't want to go back.

To each his own I guess. If it bothers you that much nobody's forcing you to use it. But I would suggest calming down and giving it a chance, and you may just find that once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever did without it.

For me, the only thing I miss about the new sequencer is the line tool.
gwmatt's music (such as it is)
Old 2007-11-15, 16:55

Why f@&* with a good thing?!!!

: I actually like the fact that they made the automation vector based. Most good wav editors use vectors anyway, and I think it does make it easier to work with once you get used to it.
Clips on the other hand, don't really make any sense. Why would I want to have to double click into a clip in order to edit it? It breaks my work flow. I don't work with sections of music as isolated objects. There are always notes that flow from one section to the other and overlap. If I have to click out of one and into another in order to edit then I am wasting time, and considering the fact that an album can take over six months to complete anyway, adding time to it in even the slightest way is not good. Propellerhead if you are listening, remember this: Always give the user options! Let us choose whether to use this fancy new clip system if you really must leave it there. Is there any benefit of the new clips? I haven't found one. I was able to do virtually everything I wanted to in the old system. It made sense, it worked, it was the most logical midi editing system in the world. WHY F@&* WITH A GOOD THING?

: I Agree, working with clips is complicated and tiresome. I dont need them, they only slows down the editing...I like a color of a new sequencer and a keyboard switches - qwert, but I dont like the clips and new vector automation...The old sequencer concept was very sympathetic...
: : I don't know why they had to change the way midi blocks work in reason. The old way rocked, it's simple logic made reason easy to use. This new clip system sucks! I am continually frustrated by it each time I use this software, and in often for new reasons. Today is one of those days. I am so frustrated by these damn clips that I am stopping in the middle of a recording session to vent on this site in the vague hope that the programmers might listen and give us the option to turn this god damn clip thing off! Clips interfere with automation, and especially for loop tracks where keeping midi in neat chunks is preferable. Yes I know that I could put one long clip to overlap the other clips, but why would I want to do that? Automation should be separate from the clips or in the very least have separate clips. God I am starting to consider going back to version three. Even Thor doesn't make it worth this crap.
:
Old 2007-11-15, 18:05

Re: Yeah! And they cause dandruff and bad breath too!!!!

"To each his own I guess. If it bothers you that much nobody's forcing you to use it."

Erm, yes they are if you're using Reason 4!

" For me, the only thing I miss about the new sequencer is the line tool."

Select the pencil tool and then hold CTRL.
Old 2007-11-15, 19:22

Re: Yeah! And they cause dandruff and bad breath too!!!!

That's just it though. You said no one is forcing me to use it. Well obviously no one is forcing me to use the new version of reason, but if I want to use the software I paid for then I have to use the clips. There is no option in the preferences to turn them off. Yes to each his own... that's why software should be configurable to the users preferences. You like clips... great, use them. I don't like clips, I want to turn them off (or at least have them only appear when I create them.) By the way, the old system had clips too, and I used them extensively, and yes I couldn't do with out them. The difference is that now I have to put in a clip before I start working. I don't work that way. I like to get the general idea of what I am doing before I divide it up into sections.

: OK, I'm joking obviously. I admit that at first I was not entirely comfortable with the new sequencer. I had gotten so used to the old one that the new one just didn't feel right. But after working with it for a while I'm not just comfortable with it, I wouldn't want to go back.
:
: To each his own I guess. If it bothers you that much nobody's forcing you to use it. But I would suggest calming down and giving it a chance, and you may just find that once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever did without it.
:
: For me, the only thing I miss about the new sequencer is the line tool.