Propellerhead Software
Old 2008-03-12, 20:08
BlindMelon

How can I?

Extend a note of a guitar as if I were holding it (using the guitar samples that are in Reason, Reason 3 to be precise)... I'm assuming I need to create a loop, but how do I go about doing such a thing? I'd really like to make it appear like a guitar note getting louder then the song breaks back in. If anyone could point me in the way of a text tutorial or some insight, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 2008-03-13, 17:03

Re: How can I?

: Extend a note of a guitar as if I were holding it (using the guitar samples that are in Reason, Reason 3 to be precise)... I'm assuming I need to create a loop, but how do I go about doing such a thing? I'd really like to make it appear like a guitar note getting louder then the song breaks back in. If anyone could point me in the way of a text tutorial or some insight, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I'm assuming you have a device playing a guitar patch and a sequencer track for the device in your sequencer. And I'm also assuming you're using Reason 4.

1. Create a clip in your sequencer by using the pencil tool on the sequencer's toolbar and drawing over a few bars.

2. Select the arrow tool on the sequencer's toolbar and double-click on the clip. This opens it in edit mode so you can add notes.

3. Switch back to the pencil tool and draw a few notes inside the clip. The longer you draw your notes, the longer the note plays.

4. Once the notes are drawn in, look at the bottom of your sequencer (below the note lane. You'll see the velocity lane which looks like a bar graph. To ramp up the velocity, make the bars taller. To soften the velocity, make them shorter.

5. When you're happy with your notes and everything is as you like, click on the edit mode icon on the toolbar (it's the icon at the far left corner of the toolbar). You'll have to click this twice to get back into your main arrange mode in the sequencer.

6. Now, in your mixer you can adjust the levels of the guitar in real-time. If you want to automate the level for the guitar track, right-click on the level slider and select "Automate parameter". This creates a blue automation lane in the sequencer where you can draw a vector curve to adjust the volume level for your guitar track. The clip for the automation will already be drawn in for you, so as you did with the note clip, double-click the clip with the arrow tool to open it, and with the pencil draw your points and edit the curve up or down to adjust the volume of the guitar over time.

7. Now here's what confuses some people. If you click once on the edit mode icon (remember top left corner), you're taken to a "special" edit mode for your sequencer. In this mode, you'll see some arrows to the left of each automation lane. This is the "Default" setting for the parameter you're automating. In other words, whatever you set this arrow marker to, that will be the setting for your parameter whenever there is no clip present on the sequencer (anywhere outside the clips). In your case, whatever you set this parameter to will be the default volume level for your guitar (outside from the edits you just performed on the clip).

8. Click the edit mode icon again and you're back in arrange mode. That's pretty much it. And it's a long-winded way to say "Read the manual!"

cheers.
Please take some time out to listen to the music. Thanks.
Old 2008-03-13, 17:06

: : Extend a note of a guitar as if I were holding it (using the guitar samples that are in Reason, Reason 3 to be precise)... I'm assuming I need to create a loop, but how do I go about doing such a thing? I'd really like to make it appear like a guitar note getting louder then the song breaks back in. If anyone could point me in the way of a text tutorial or some insight, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
:
: I'm assuming you have a device playing a guitar patch and a sequencer track for the device in your sequencer. And I'm also assuming you're using Reason 4.
:
: 1. Create a clip in your sequencer by using the pencil tool on the sequencer's toolbar and drawing over a few bars.
:
: 2. Select the arrow tool on the sequencer's toolbar and double-click on the clip. This opens it in edit mode so you can add notes.
:
: 3. Switch back to the pencil tool and draw a few notes inside the clip. The longer you draw your notes, the longer the note plays.
:
: 4. Once the notes are drawn in, look at the bottom of your sequencer (below the note lane. You'll see the velocity lane which looks like a bar graph. To ramp up the velocity, make the bars taller. To soften the velocity, make them shorter.
:
: 5. When you're happy with your notes and everything is as you like, click on the edit mode icon on the toolbar (it's the icon at the far left corner of the toolbar). You'll have to click this twice to get back into your main arrange mode in the sequencer.
:
: 6. Now, in your mixer you can adjust the levels of the guitar in real-time. If you want to automate the level for the guitar track, right-click on the level slider and select "Automate parameter". This creates a blue automation lane in the sequencer where you can draw a vector curve to adjust the volume level for your guitar track. The clip for the automation will already be drawn in for you, so as you did with the note clip, double-click the clip with the arrow tool to open it, and with the pencil draw your points and edit the curve up or down to adjust the volume of the guitar over time.
:
: 7. Now here's what confuses some people. If you click once on the edit mode icon (remember top left corner), you're taken to a "special" edit mode for your sequencer. In this mode, you'll see some arrows to the left of each automation lane. This is the "Default" setting for the parameter you're automating. In other words, whatever you set this arrow marker to, that will be the setting for your parameter whenever there is no clip present on the sequencer (anywhere outside the clips). In your case, whatever you set this parameter to will be the default volume level for your guitar (outside from the edits you just performed on the clip).
:
: 8. Click the edit mode icon again and you're back in arrange mode. That's pretty much it. And it's a long-winded way to say "Read the manual!"
:
: cheers.

Rereading this, I realized you are on v.3. I honestly forget most of how R3 works, but my suggestion is to download the R4 demo and try that out instead. It's worthwhile getting to know the latest software, not the older version.

Cheers.
Rob
And the music just keeps playing in my head.
Old 2008-03-13, 17:47
BlindMelon

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a try... yeah, I was reading the help file that comes with Reason, but didn't find anything like this... and this way I can actually hold out a note, right?

Well, I'll give it a try, even though I am using Reason 3, but it can't be that different... right? Either way, thanks for taking the time.
Old 2008-03-13, 18:12

: Cool, thanks, I'll give that a try... yeah, I was reading the help file that comes with Reason, but didn't find anything like this... and this way I can actually hold out a note, right?
:
: Well, I'll give it a try, even though I am using Reason 3, but it can't be that different... right? Either way, thanks for taking the time.

R3 is similar in some respects. You use the edit mode icon to switch from "note editing" to "arrangement" editing. One is the micro view and the other the macro view in your sequencer.

If by holding a note, you mean that you want it to be a long note, then it's easy. You simply draw the note for as long as you want it to sound. Keep in mind that your amp envelope is also going to be a factor in the way your note works over the course of its length (attack, decay, sustain, and release which are found on the guitar device you are playing) so you might have to set those up to suit your needs. But the basics are that you draw the note as long as you want it to sound.

In R3 the velocity lane is pretty much the same where you adjust how forceful the note sounds. Higher velocity = more forceful. In your original message, you were talking about how you wanted to ramping up the note so that it gets louder. This is where the mixer's "level" slider comes into play. If you want it also to get gradually more forceful, then you would use the line tool in R3 and also ramp up the velocity. But velocity works on a note by note basic (unless you have aftertouch, which is a different matter altogether). Basically, you only have one velocity setting (between 0-127) for each note played. So if you have several notes, you can gradually ramp up the velocity across these notes. If you only have 1 note, you need something like aftertouch to ramp up while the single note is played. It allows you to adjust velocity up or down over a single note being held for a long period of time.

There are other tricks on adjusting movement over a single note, but it goes farther than what I could or would want to write here. For now, focus on the note length, velocity and mixer volume (and your amp envelope settings). That's more than enough to get you started.

Rob

That's really all there is to it.
link to my music
Old 2008-03-13, 21:07
BlindMelon

Yeah, but the sampled note only goes as long as it lets you, since it's just a looped sound effect... someone had told me to set up loop points and keep looping it, but I don't know how to do that, and wouldn't that start the note at the beginning then? I just wish that if you drew the note as long as you want, it'd just keep holding that note that long... but it doesn't, it stops after a short time.
Old 2008-03-13, 21:29

: Yeah, but the sampled note only goes as long as it lets you, since it's just a looped sound effect... someone had told me to set up loop points and keep looping it, but I don't know how to do that, and wouldn't that start the note at the beginning then? I just wish that if you drew the note as long as you want, it'd just keep holding that note that long... but it doesn't, it stops after a short time.

Ahhhh I see where this is going. My bad. I didn't realize you were using sampled material. I thought you were creating or using a guitar "synth" patch. Ok, well for starters, you should load up the sample in an NN-XT device, and then you can play with all the parameters to make the sample do what you want it to do, including looping it, setting up where the sample starts from, amp envelope, etc. Expand the NN-XT editor (click the drop-down found in the bottom left side of the device). Then load the sample. You'll see it loaded into the keyzone area. After you load it in, then you can play with how the sample is looped, as well as it's start position. All the knobs for controlling the sample are located along the bottom of the keyzone area, directly underneath.

Hope that helps.
my music
Old 2008-03-13, 22:28
BlindMelon

Yeah, my problem is that I really don't know what to mess with to get what I want... is there a tutorial you know of? I know how to expand the NN-XT, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at... like I've tried finding the note that I'm playing and raising the hold, attack, all that stuff, but nothing seems to work... I'm really confused.
Old 2008-03-13, 23:31

: Yeah, my problem is that I really don't know what to mess with to get what I want... is there a tutorial you know of? I know how to expand the NN-XT, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at... like I've tried finding the note that I'm playing and raising the hold, attack, all that stuff, but nothing seems to work... I'm really confused.

well honestly, it's all about toying with the settings to figure out what each one does. And also consult the documentation, which is available here on the website. Read through the section on the NN-XT to figure out what each one does. Also try youtube as I'm sure there are several tutorials out there. And there are a good group of people here that are more than willing to help, though they will probably help you more if you're in the Phead User Forum, as that means you've actually bought the product.

Not sure I can really help you further with this.

But good luck.
Rob
messing with my tunes
Old 2008-03-14, 04:10
BlindMelon

Oh really, I didn't know that. I'll definitely try there. Thanks a lot man!