Propellerhead Software
Old 2008-04-11, 08:30
AJCC

Reason 3 vs Reason 4

I know this has been spoke about heaps before (I just notice people weren't too impreesed for the greater part), but at the time of 4's release I wasn't even interested in it.

Essential how do you guys rate it to 3.0 As far as I know, it has a new synth, groove mixer, modified interface (?)

I have all my songs done in 3.0....I am wondering whether to step up to 4.0??

I play rock with lots of electro in their!

Old 2008-04-11, 12:12

Re: Reason 3 vs Reason 4

: I'm still using v.3, and have no intention of upgrading at the moment.

I feel that upgrading just because a new version has come out is a bit unneccesary. I already work really efficiently within R3 and so an upgrade (especially with the complete restructuring of v.4) would just delay my musical progress. I'm not even interested in trying it out.

You've gotta ask yourself, will these new devices really make you create better compositions or make the production of your sound better? If your writing great songs at the moment why change?

The only new device that people really rave on about is "Thor", but as i use another DAW (now Logic 8) i have access to other synths which are just as good if not better. Perhaps that is another thing for you to consider if you would like to increase your arsenal of production tools?

Like i said, I wouldn't recommend upgrading just because you feel you may be missing out or that the people who own R4 are able to create better quality songs than you. They don't have any more of an advantage. A good song is a good song.

Matt

http://www.myspace.com/mrmrkelly
Old 2008-04-11, 14:57

i've used reason 4 almost two months since its released.
after playing extensively with it i've found out that the new sequencer (smaller & very different from previous versions) was slowing down dramatically my work flow!

i fact i hated so much that i've decided to move back to version 3 which was by far more creative for me!

i surely miss some new features like transport track, arpeggiator and thor, but with the new version i believe that propellerheads missed the way from the right path!

probably the best way for you is to try out version 4 and decide if it suite you or not.
Old 2008-04-11, 17:24

4.0 all the way. I thought it was a big improvement (although most changes were small stuff). Most people sigh at sequencer improvements but that is the interface you use to compose so I think it is very important.

Notable improvements:

1. Thor. Thor is a great synthesizer capable of a wide variety of sounds. The presets they include with the thing is great. I actually have favorite go to bass patches out of softsynths now. With Malstrom, Subtractor, and Thor and combinator functionality you can get a super phat sound (Thor is phat enough as is). It is not perfect but it is waay ahead of subtractor.

2. Updated Sequencer. Clip muting. Track lanes. Pressing record alone now starts Recording, makes Reason a joy to work with now.

3. Regroove. Reason now has one of the coolest quantization schemes out in software now. The cool thing is it is all non destructable.

4. Arpegiattor. Don't use it too much but if that is your style. I'm sure plenty of people love it.

The only two criticisms I had was one fairly major criticism and another small one:

1. Piano roll editing: Must select clip before editing notes. This don't make much sense why I want to do this. I think many hardcore piano roll programmers are mad about this one.

2. More of an annoyance criticism. Quantize paremeters got moved to the tool window. If you use input quantize and want to change a quantization setting you go to that different window to change the setting but you must select the main Reason window again if you want to press Num(*) to record. This is fairly minor but it is an annoyance. A workaround though is assigning a hardware controller button to the record button. If you have a controller with transport control, you probably won't even have an issue with this one.

But even with the criticisms 4 is miles ahead better than 3. Main reason is the sequencer is more user friendly (IMO). I always thought of the older sequencer as clunky (even though many people adapted to it and love it).

: I know this has been spoke about heaps before (I just notice people weren't too impreesed for the greater part), but at the time of 4's release I wasn't even interested in it.
:
: Essential how do you guys rate it to 3.0 As far as I know, it has a new synth, groove mixer, modified interface (?)
:
: I have all my songs done in 3.0....I am wondering whether to step up to 4.0??
:
: I play rock with lots of electro in their!
:
:
Old 2008-04-12, 11:42

: I use the regroove mixer on everting I do now, I also use the ARP a lot but not for aprpegaition (I make IDM and its good for meeting stuff up)

The one thing I thought Id use a lot but don't really is the Thor, I find it awkward to use compared to the Sub and Mal and the final results aren't much better than what I can get from the old synths in a combi.
Loopcache - IDM & Electronica Refills
Old 2008-04-12, 13:55

: ..and Mal and the final results aren't much better than what I can get from the old synths in a combi.

Hehe, that's because Reason already was perfect from version 1.0.1/ the rest of the versions is only there to feed the staff's/employees' mouths
Old 2008-04-12, 14:03

: : ..and Mal and the final results aren't much better than what I can get from the old synths in a combi.
:
: Hehe, that's because Reason already was perfect from version 1.0.1/ the rest of the versions is only there to feed the staff's/employees' mouths

Well, not like I said.. laying in bath today I was thinking how lucky we are as customers, paying only a small fee for an upgrade or the same for the full version after having MClass developers working for u!s

+''
+'!'

(:

Old 2008-04-12, 15:46

Hey ajcc just to give you an idea of the difference between the sequencer in version 3 and 4, on picture above you?ll see the same project on its default opening in Reason 3(left) Reason 4(right).

As you can see, the view in arrangement window is bigger in version 3! If you look carefully in the ruler area you?ll see that in reason 3 you can view till number 46, but in version 4 you can see till number 37.

Also the name on its device on version 3 its readable and clear, which in version 4 you?ll have to blow your eyes out to see the name of its device!

Finally, in version 3 you can see 21 devices but in version 4 you can only see only 14 devices!

In other words your vision and workflow is quite limited in Reason 4 compare to Reason 3!
Old 2008-04-12, 19:18

Don't forget the 'pre' button lit up at the bottom left of reason 4?
-------------------------
I use it all the time. It's the greatest thing for counting in to time your play to the tempo.

See that transport bar instrument at the top of the devices?
------------------------
That let's me control tempo of the song. I've used it well before. Love it.

Do I agree with some of the posters here on workflow? That I DO. But, I won't go back.

Old 2008-04-14, 06:27
AJCC

: Hey ajcc just to give you an idea of the difference between the sequencer in version 3 and 4, on picture above you?ll see the same project on its default opening in Reason 3(left) Reason 4(right).
:
: As you can see, the view in arrangement window is bigger in version 3! If you look carefully in the ruler area you?ll see that in reason 3 you can view till number 46, but in version 4 you can see till number 37.
:
: Also the name on its device on version 3 its readable and clear, which in version 4 you?ll have to blow your eyes out to see the name of its device!
:
: Finally, in version 3 you can see 21 devices but in version 4 you can only see only 14 devices!
:
: In other words your vision and workflow is quite limited in Reason 4 compare to Reason 3!

Thanks for this mate! I'm assuming u feel it's best that i NOT step up to 4.0?! Like I said, most of the opinion on 4 hasn't been to flash!

I am suprised as why they would make work harder by limiting the arrangement view....and I don't see anything to compensate for this???

Cheers again!
Andrew