Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2008-10-03, 01:06

combining reason tracks with other recording software tracks

whats good everybody, I have a question....I have drum tracks I created with reason 4, (cause reason is real useful when it comes to drum tracks), and I have melody tracks I created with a cakewalk program. When trying to combine the 2 together to complete the song its as irritating as a dentists drill. trying to get the 2 to play on perfect timing is crazy. I know theres a better way to do this, to somehow sync the 2 together or something. Someone please speak on it.
Old 2008-10-03, 08:23

You should rewire the two together. Rewire is a way to make sonar (or what your'e using) and Reason play as one, synced and tempolocked to eachother.
Old 2008-10-04, 12:09

What Cakewalk Program? Close Reason first. From SONAR, choose in the "insert" menu, soft synths, choose rewire diveces and choose Reason there. Answer the dialogue.

Then form the "view" menu choose synth rack there, and doubleclick the piano icon in the synthrack representing Reaon. Reason will open, open the right file, and play!
Old 2008-10-04, 13:34

Are you getting Sonar 8 in the near future?

Grum.
Old 2008-10-04, 15:24

Yes, Grumbleweed, allready ordered it. They say it has performance enhancements. I really neeed those or I'll have to buy new hardware.

And when I do buy a new system. I'd like to go 64 bit, so I'm hoping for 64bit Rewire.
Old 2008-10-06, 08:05

thanks for that vallin
Old 2008-10-06, 08:10

Zonno i'm actually still using pro audio 9. I know I know, but thats the first software I ever used and learned how to use recording softwares. Its too outdated to have the rewire feature, but I also have cubasis 4, and will dumped the pro audio midii files in there. I see how rewire works, but when I start cubasis now, it says no more mixer channels, and wont control reason..... What mixer channels and how have they been used up?
Old 2008-10-07, 23:53

Hi

I don't know about Cubase, but there's two main ways of rewiring Reason.
1. One stereo channel, from the 14:2 Mixer through channel 1 and 2 of Reasons audio interface to your Rewire host (Cubase, etc).
2. 64 mono channels. All synths go through separate channels in Reasons audio interface to your host program.

When you choose the latter, your host program will insert 64 audio channels. Maybe your Cubase 4 can't handle this.

Try to find an option Rewiring trhough one stereo channel.
Old 2008-10-14, 22:30

I think I know what the problem is now. Actually , its cubasis VST 4 oem version that I have, which I think is a different program from Cubasis 4 cause when I see tutorials of Cubasis 4, it doesnt even look like the same program. And from what i've been reading lately, reason is not compatible with VST's. Am I right? What are vst's? so bottom line I think is....the Cubasis VST 4 that I have wont work with reason rewire, right?
Old 2008-10-15, 00:45

Zonno, No... now i dont think that the vst program is the problem cause if it was, why would reason allow itself to be put into rewire mode? propellerhead support told me maybe my system doesnt have the requirements to run both programs simultaneously, but it must do cause I can run them simultaneously. just cant control reason with the cubasis cause of the (no mre mixer channels) message. See when I open reason 1rst, then cubasis it doesnt give me that message, so when I open cubasis 1rst its telling me theres no more mixer channels to control reason. How can I add the 64 mono channels?