Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-01-31, 01:43
shwebk

Problem with M-class Compressor in Reason 4

Hi

I recenty tried Reason 4 and loaded one of my older tracks and found that the Compressor doesn't compress the signal properly because now when I look at the level meters on the mixer they are in the red. Then I tried a new song and found that the compressor doesn't limit the signal to 0db like it did in Reason 3. Any body come into this as well in Reason 4, and is there a fix. So in other words the compressor is not working like it should.

Well here is how to recreate what I am doing.

1. Open up a new song in Reason 4 and create an NN-XT and load up maybe a 808 Kick Drum.
2. Add an M-Class Equalizer and boost up the bass all the way.
3. Add an M-Class Compressor. Set the threshold to 0db, set the ratio to infintie (this should limit the signal).
4. Set the mixer channel so that it is not peaking into the red. Then boost up the input gain on the compressor and you will see the channel on the mixer go into the red. Now if you re-adjust the channel on the mixer to not peak into the red after this the volume is to low! (defeats the purpose!).
5. Now if you use the output gain the channel will go back into the red.

This is what I am talking about, this did not happen in Reason 3 and I used to depend on it for making a certain bassline sound.

Last edited by shwebk; 2009-02-02 at 05:02.
Old 2009-01-31, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwebk View Post
Hi

I recenty tried Reason 4 and loaded one of my older tracks and found that the Compressor doesn't compress the signal properly because now when I look at the level meters on the mixer they are in the red. Then I tried a new song and found that the compressor doesn't limit the signal to 0db like it did in Reason 3. Any body come into this as well in Reason 4, and is there a fix. So in other words the compressor is not working like it should.
My Mercedes Compressor works just fine
Old 2009-01-31, 21:50

Smile

Quote:
Hi

The M-Class works perfectly well for me, register your software then go into the user forum and ask "How do I use a compressor?", after this if it is still sending the meters drastically in to the red, then you will be qualified to tell whether or not it is an issue with the compressor.

From what you're saying it sounds like confusion between the behaviour of a compressor and a limiter.

hth
B
Old 2009-02-01, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon View Post
My Mercedes Compressor works just fine
LOL....good one!!!
Old 2009-02-01, 13:35

This is because the old compressor has an auto make up gain which the MClass compressor doesn't have. You should change the settings to get to the same level of compression and gain.
Old 2009-02-01, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphamusic View Post
LOL....good one!!!
Thank You! !

Last edited by eric; 2009-02-01 at 14:06. Reason: Is The Best!
Old 2009-02-01, 19:06
shwebk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
This is because the old compressor has an auto make up gain which the MClass compressor doesn't have. You should change the settings to get to the same level of compression and gain.
Sorry I meant the M-Class, I am not using the Comp-01. Well here is how to recreate what I am doing.

1. Open up a new song in Reason 4 and create an NN-XT and load up maybe a 808 Kick Drum.
3. Add an M-Class Compressor. Set the threshold to 0db, set the ratio to infintie (this should limit the signal).
4. Set the mixer channel so that it is not peaking into the red. Then boost up the input gain on the compressor and you will see the channel on the mixer go into the red. Now if you re-adjust the channel on the mixer to not peak into the red after this the volume is to low! (defeats the purpose!).

This is what I am talking about, this did not happen in Reason 3 and I used to depend on it for making a certain bassline sound.
Old 2009-02-01, 21:16

Smile

Quote:
Sorry I meant the M-Class, I am not using the Comp-01. Well here is how to recreate what I am doing.

Yes, this is exactly what should happen with these settings.
First register your software
Then read up on compression
As a suggestion, always use a limiter for bass, set to approx -3dBFS thru -6dBFS
BTW quick hint, the method you describe above is not compressing the signal at all

hth
B
Old 2009-02-11, 23:15

use the limiter /maximizer

( put softclip on to keep the sound from clipping the first 4 miliseconds )