Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-04-21, 05:59

Electric Guitar ReFills

So, does anyone know of any good Electric Guitar Refills? I already have the AudioWarrior Elektric Guitar ReFill, but I am looking for a bunch of different guitars to play with...

The Reason Bass Refills are fantastic. If anyone knows of any Refills like that, or any similar, let me know!

Thanks.
Old 2009-04-21, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimball View Post
So, does anyone know of any good Electric Guitar Refills? I already have the AudioWarrior Elektric Guitar ReFill, but I am looking for a bunch of different guitars to play with...

The Reason Bass Refills are fantastic. If anyone knows of any Refills like that, or any similar, let me know!

Thanks.
Big bad guitars?
Old 2009-04-21, 07:44

Big bad guitars? I mean, whatever. Any guitar refills are cool. But something that I do like about the Bass ReFill are the actual real guitars they sampled.
Old 2009-04-21, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimball View Post
Big bad guitars? I mean, whatever. Any guitar refills are cool. But something that I do like about the Bass ReFill are the actual real guitars they sampled.
Big Bad Guitars is the name of an actual ReFill, from Nine Volt. Think it's all REX loops though so maybe not what you're after. You might be better off looking for some older AKAI format sample CDs, and then using ReLoad to get them into NN-XT. There are loads of multisampled guitar collections in that format and seeing as they are a bit older you should be able to find some nice deals. Old sample libraries in general can be a lot of fun, and you likely won't hear those sounds being used all over the place like you do with the latest loops collections. Old samples can be a great, cheap "secret weapon".
Old 2009-04-22, 07:55

I think clean (i.e. dry) DI guitar samples would be better than miked amplifiers. Then use the excellent Scream 4 Sound Destruction Unit (or more likely several chained together) as the basis for the amp/cabinet simulation. I've gotten some pretty convincing heavy distortion sounds out of Subtractor patches run with lots of distortion - but I've not managed more subtle electric guitar sounds yet where the actual pluck attack is needed.

It's too bad none of the synth modules (AFAIK) can do something like Karplus Strong synthesis as I'm sure that could produce some very interesting results.

I don't think samples with the amplifier/cabinet as part of the sound will be convincing on the transition between notes and during the release phase of the envelope.
Old 2009-04-22, 08:47

I agree with the above. My best guitars have come from using scream 4 on a dry sample, with a hint of RV7000.

Also, you might want to check out combinator hq, there are a number of guitar refills there for free. Stratpack 2 comes to mind, alond with many others....

Last edited by descathach; 2009-04-22 at 11:10.