Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2009-05-02, 15:24

Ideas & Feature Requests for Reason 5

Hello

I have been a long time user of Reason. Reason has helped me learn about signal flow in a studio. The RV7000 is my favourite reverb out of all those I've demoed and the Malstrom is my favourite synth ever!

I'd like to contribute a few ideas for Reason 5. I realise that some ideas may not make it into the next version. Sadly, I must admit to beginning to think about migrating to alternative audio solutions, specifically due to the lack of user requested updates to the old devices. The digital audio apps industry has come leaps and bounds over the last few years, but at the same time, ignoring user demands only leaves punters voting with their feet...

I realise I may sound pushy or irrate? I simply want to see a better product that reflects the needs of the users, instead of products like Pro Tools or Cubase which began to lose their market dominance due to convoluted workflows and lack of implementation of user feature requests. On the flip side, Reaper seems to be winning a lot of new users due specifically to its fast revision & bug fix cycles!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ideas for new devices:

New Filter device

• A new filter device that combines all the filters from the existing units. While it is already possible to route audio through both the Malstrom and Thor, the process is unnecessarily convoluted. As work flow speed is a consideration for many people, this will help speed things up when building custom Combinators etc.
  • The device would probably need to be a full rack width unit, and possibly have a drop down section like the RV7000.
  • Maintain the X/Y tracking control from the Thor
  • Include all the filter types found in Reasons existing units
  • Have an on-board ADSR for when it is Combined in a Combinator
  • Include LFO modulators like those found on the Malstrom, complete with one shot modes and invertible CV
  • CV inputs for the filter cut off and resonance.
  • True frequency readouts in hertz as opposed to midi values 0-127

Granular time-stretching & pitch-shifting effect. A simple effect can be built with the NN-19, why not create a unit that does this to live audio inputs?

New LFO device with user drawable LFO shapes

New Sampler

• Fully automatable controls
  • Waveform view, allowing sample start and looping points to be moved directly on the waveform window

New Rex creator/player.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improvements on old devices:

Redrum

• Reverse button for each channel

Combinator

• More Combinator controls. 8 rotaries and 8 buttons, possibly contained in a drop down section a la RV7000.
  • Selectable modes for the rotaries, allowing them to go from -63 - +64 as well as the current 0 – 127.
  • Selectable modes for the buttons. It would be useful to have 'flick switch' buttons. Ones that only stay on until the mouse/midi control is let go again. This would allow for more creative live applications of the Combinator.
  • Allow CV trim pots to be assigned to the Combinator front panel controls, complete with minimum & maximum range
  • Assignable controls for the Matrix device
  • Assignable controls for the 'advanced' controls in the NN-XT device

Malstrom

• You know what's coming. User waveforms in the oscillators. I know this is possible as the free VST Atlantis, available from http://jeremyevers.com/?page_id=15 , does it with ease.
  • More Modulator shapes. (Or similar to Atlantis VST again, user waveforms that can be used as Modulator shapes)
  • Automatable oscillator waveshape changes, either directly in the sequencer, or in Combinators.

NN-XT

• Automatable 'advanced' controls.
  • Assignable 'advanced' controls in the Combinator

NN-19

• An updated 'sample start' control that allows for longer sample lengths.

Thor

• A new, more logical layout. For example: Why are the amp env ADSRs not next to the oscillators? Why are the LFO's not next to each other? Why aren't the filter env ADSRs next to each other or the filters? Why aren't the filters stacked like the oscillators?
  • Even if a new layout would take marginally more screen space, the work flow improvement and ease of use for beginners would be a great advantage. To be honest, the new chorus and delay sections are unnecessary as these effects can be added as a insert or send using the existing rack devices. They take up space that could be used to make the synth portion of Thor more accessible.

Thank you for taking the time to read my ideas.

Pat

Last edited by ukpat; 2009-05-02 at 15:34.
Old 2009-05-05, 17:10

Reason must add only the things you can't do now.

I think that Reason must add only the things you can't do now.

New Filter device.

You can make a lot of filters with diferent posibilities with combinator, save patch and you will see the workflow

New LFO device

with the actual mod sources, cv routing and combi capacities you can make awesome fx.

New Sampler

i don't see this is necesary but...

Fully automatable controls
Waveform view, allowing sample start and looping points to be moved directly on the
waveform window

this would be interesting adds for nn-xt

Improvements on old devices:

Redrum - Reverse button for each channel

if you want to reverse samples, why don't you use nn-xt?

NN-XT

Automatable 'advanced' controls.
Assignable 'advanced' controls in the Combinator

i think this is a must be. i know there are some problems because the midi limitations.

you can only administrate 128 CC different per unit and the advance configuration of nn-xt with 200 samples loaded have more knobs than CCs.

but Vaz Modular solves this problem with a menu to asignate synth controls to midi CC.

there are another problem with sample points, the resolution.
Old 2009-05-05, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardy View Post
if you want to reverse samples, why don't you use nn-xt?
I think he wants to reverse the pattern, and not the samples.
Old 2009-05-05, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasys View Post
I think he wants to reverse the pattern, and not the samples.
oh like the thor can do now...

I like the new chorus effect in thor alot personally...

music at: http://soundcloud.com/techdef
or http://techdef.bandcamp.com/

mixes are up at http://www.mixcloud.com/techdef/
theatrical sound design blog at http://thtrsnd.wordpress.com/
Old 2009-05-05, 19:49

Hello

I do save Combinators regularly, including quite a few filter configurations. I just think it would be waaay quicker and easier to have a dedicated unit instead of having to find workarounds all the time.

Regarding the NNXT as a drum sampler, I find it fiddly to use compared to the Redrum. The redrum is clearly laid out, and has the advantage of having named drum lanes in the sequencer. If I'm going to use a full sampler as a drum machine, I'd rather use something like Directwave or Battery, as both have better feautres and more accessable GUI's than the NNXT. I mean, if Hammerhead has a reverse button, why can't the redrum?

I use Reason a lot, and have been using it since v1. While I understand the reasons for things like the advanced NNXT controls being unautomatable, things like a sample reverse button on the Redrum are long over due.

To be honest, I really didn't like R4. I completely dislike the new sequencer, and as I've mentioned above, I find Thor to be very poorly laid out. All things considered, I've stuck with v3 and started Rewiring for extra functionality. If R5 has enough features/fixes, then I may also upgrade to that. If not, I'm simply going to leave Reason as a fond memory......

Ps. There is no right or wrong in this, and I'm not really trying to call anyone out. I've simply offered my opinions based on my experiences as a long time Reason user... -:shrug:-

Last edited by ukpat; 2009-05-05 at 19:52.
Old 2009-05-06, 09:26

Super Fast Browser is the most important. not the ones that reads files one-by-one.
Old 2009-05-06, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpat View Post
Ps. There is no right or wrong in this, and I'm not really trying to call anyone out. I've simply offered my opinions based on my experiences as a long time Reason user... -:shrug:-
If you're so a long time user, why haven't you registered your software yet?
Old 2009-05-06, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasys View Post
If you're so a long time user, why haven't you registered your software yet?
Ding and phasys keeps making people feel bad . . .
Old 2009-05-06, 18:22

Because I'm a pirate! ARRRH!

Or maybe I use Reason at my place of work?

Either way, I sleep well at night. Do you?

Last edited by ukpat; 2009-05-06 at 18:27.
Old 2009-05-06, 21:19

>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirnikas View Post
Ding and phasys keeps making people feel bad . . .
Yeah, but he is right on this one. Reason user since v.1 and still no registration, we can't agree with that.