Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2009-06-18, 11:01

Using reason 4 and a novation sl mkii keyboard -help!!!

Hi
there seems to be little info on this on the web and so i didn't know where else to ask.
Just got this new midi controller hoping it would work straight out of the box.
Sadly no.
No little LEDs, no touch sensitive controls, no scratch pad, no quick select dial.
Just wondered if there was, by chance, anyone else here who has tried to set one of these things up.
Anything else I can do?

Thanks
Old 2009-06-18, 14:24

Ok rabidhyena, can't leave this hanging around, I don't have one of those, but I do have an x-station.

So I assume that if you got the device with a power pack you have tried it 'free standing' to see that it does at least work? If you can't even get a light flashing or anything then you probably got a dud (you sure it isn't turned off at the back or something obvious?). I know the x-station has a power off switch on the back.

Assuming now that you have power to your device, and you are now trying USB. This should also fire her up like a Christmas tree? If not, then I suspect you are having either driver issues or you got a dud.

Again, referring to the X-Station, the literature suggested that it is a "class compliant" device and should not need dedicated drivers. Well they lied! If I recall correctly my XP machine would not talk nicely to her until I installed the correct set of drivers (There were two sets that came with my X-Station one didn't do anything useful). So next step is check any drivers that came with.

Once I got Windows talking to my X-Station and vice versa I could then follow the instructions in the Reason manual about adding her as a midi-controller to Reason.

I do recall elsewhere someone talking about the Remote SL mkII series using native mode instead of automap or something like that, but I suspect that you aren't getting quite that far yet?

So step by step, check that the device receives power and does lite up. Once that is established as working (and confirming you didn't get a dud machine) then try drivers to allow the OS to speak to your controller. And then lastly follow the instructions for setting up your device in Reason.

Pretty sure that the mkII does work with Reason, if you have another host available perhaps try it there too just to elimiate any other problems

BTW without that nifty little badge showing you as a registered Reason owner, I suspect this is the only response you are likely to get. Good luck
Old 2009-06-18, 14:30

thanks so much for the reply sceyefeye, you are a diamond.
Yes, I am much further along than this
powers up, communicates with reason, even has knobs working etc. Its just that all the classy functions i mentioned (the reasons i chose this one) dont work.
You are right - it seems you dont use it with automap but advanced mode instead. I hope this doesnt conclude that all the bells and whistles work for everything except reason.....thats the feeling im getting.

Thanks again
Old 2009-06-18, 14:39

weird that - reading the blurb on the novation site, it is seems to be clearly aimed at ableton Live.

not wanting to make you feel glum about your purchase but am feeling a little better about budget constraints that have left me waiting for my Zero SL mk1 to arrive at the end of the month for my birthday
Old 2009-06-18, 14:46

haha, you swine! Well, maybe i'm just not techno enough. The reason I chose it was cos i believed it would work straight out of the box, which it doesn't. I've never really had much joy with midi controllers - always such a pain in the neck. Maybe I'll solve this one, once i get another very slow reply from novation. However, I have noticed in their DAW list for the SLII, reason always appears near the end, if at all. So i think Reason maybe the forgotten one on this piece of kit. Shame.
Maybe they will develop it a but more, but this did seem to a dirty little secret that wasnt so obvious on the promotion material.
Cheers for chipping in, anyway.
Regards

PS my mate has an old MK1 and he reckons it works a treat, so perhaps I have a semi-dud one. that would be a real shame, cos i would never know either way.
Old 2009-06-18, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidhyena View Post
haha, you swine!

Quote:
Well, maybe i'm just not techno enough. The reason I chose it was cos i believed it would work straight out of the box, which it doesn't. I've never really had much joy with midi controllers - always such a pain in the neck. Maybe I'll solve this one, once i get another very slow reply from novation.
hmmnnnn seems very little actually works "straight out of the box" these days. I am wondering what fights I am going to have between my 3 controllers once my SL arrives.

Quote:
However, I have noticed in their DAW list for the SLII, reason always appears near the end, if at all. So i think Reason maybe the forgotten one on this piece of kit.
which is why I suggested trying something like Reaper (free download with nag screen till you register) to see if it behaves itself in another environment. You can download a 14 day free trial from the ableton site too.

If it isn't working in either of those environments take it back to the shop. Particularly if it isn't working in Live which seems to have a very dedicated LIVE mode after all. If it works in one of those environments (perhaps use Live LE as a Rewire host and then route the controls through that to Reason?)

Quote:
Cheers for chipping in, anyway.
Regards
not a problem

Quote:
PS my mate has an old MK1 and he reckons it works a treat, so perhaps I have a semi-dud one. that would be a real shame, cos i would never know either way.
perhaps you should "swap" controllers for a while - assuming his one works with Reason? and he might part with it?
Old 2009-06-18, 19:05

Quote:
Hi
there seems to be little info on this on the web and so i didn't know where else to ask.
Just got this new midi controller hoping it would work straight out of the box.
Sadly no.
No little LEDs, no touch sensitive controls, no scratch pad, no quick select dial.
Just wondered if there was, by chance, anyone else here who has tried to set one of these things up.
Anything else I can do?

Thanks
I use a remote sl 61. The first thing you should do is check for updates in software. Click on the Auto map server.
Old 2009-06-23, 17:57

hey, just thought i should tell you novations reply. thanks again!
>the touch sensitivity on the dials isnt working.
>The pan pot lights dont work, nor does the speed dial

This is normal for the moment. The Reason Automap was written for the Remote SL (mkI), hence the encoder ring, button LED and touch sense is not support for the moment.

The Automap technologies has evolved since its very first release. We do realize that there are few DAWs that needs to be integrate into Automap fully, including Reason.

However we have been in touch with Propellerhead developers and this will be include in future updates of Reason and Automap, any new updates will be available on our website:

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/automap/

please check back in the very near future.

>ooopps and one last thing - the scratch paddy thing - doesnt seem to do >anything

By default, the Reason template will not automatically assign any parameter, you need to right click a parameter in Reason, click on 'Edit Remote Override mappings', then get Reason to learn this parameter.