Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-08-21, 05:46
NicholasD

MIDI and Importing Audio Issues...

I've connected a MIDI cable from my digital piano's MIDI OUT into my audio interface's MIDI IN and made all the necessary changes in Reason with regards to it's MIDI and AUDIO options, but i still cant get this thing to sound! My audio interface works fine but it's not seeming to notice my digital piano plugged into it. Before i bought an audio interface i've been using a direct MIDI to USB interface, and that's worked fine (albeit with some latency issues), but i simply cant get a straight MIDI cable to work with my audio interface. Any help would be really appreciated.

Also, I've been recording guitar and vocals in a different program and importing them into Reason through ReDrum so that i can add synth/pad layers etc. Is there any better way of having them play in the background while i tinker in Reason? Furthermore is there any way of being able to play the guitar and vocal track(s) without always playing it from the very start. Hypothetically if i only wanted to add Reason effects halfway into a song, how would i go about doing that without having to listen from the start every time?
Old 2009-08-21, 06:32

Sorry if you already know this, but it sounds like you don't have a complete midi chain. you should have 2 cables ..MIDI OUT from you keyboard then MIDI IN to your sound card then MIDI OUT from your soundcard to MIDI IN on your keyboard.

as far as audio goes, yes you will have to start at the front of the audio. There are a few work arounds tho... No. 1 you can convert your audio to a rex file via recycle as long as you split at zero points then insert your new rex file into your song....or No. 2 use the nnxt, load the same audio file..let just say 5 (OR MORE) times, then chromaticly auto map zones (in the edit tab) and edit each of keys until your original audio performance is spread across the keys, or just wait for RECORD!!
Old 2009-08-21, 11:03

Since Reason doesn't output any MIDI, the MIDI input on the keyboard doesn't need to be attached. ie: You can't have Reason's sequencer play things and have the sounds come from your piano.

But I just skimmed the Prop's newest newsletter and did I see something about somebody coming up with some sort of workaround for this?
Old 2009-08-21, 13:07
NicholasD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbeatz View Post
Sorry if you already know this, but it sounds like you don't have a complete midi chain. you should have 2 cables ..MIDI OUT from you keyboard then MIDI IN to your sound card then MIDI OUT from your soundcard to MIDI IN on your keyboard.

as far as audio goes, yes you will have to start at the front of the audio. There are a few work arounds tho... No. 1 you can convert your audio to a rex file via recycle as long as you split at zero points then insert your new rex file into your song....or No. 2 use the nnxt, load the same audio file..let just say 5 (OR MORE) times, then chromaticly auto map zones (in the edit tab) and edit each of keys until your original audio performance is spread across the keys, or just wait for RECORD!!
I wouldnt think i'd need a MIDI cable out from my audio interface into my digital piano since there's no information travelling in that direction. It's not a MIDI Synth keyboard, its a digital piano. It has no Reason to Keyboard functionality, only the other way around.

What's even more troubling though is that i tried out my aforementioned MIDI to USB interface and it's not working either.

Thanks for your help with the audio stuff. It's a bummer that there's no simpler option.
Old 2009-08-21, 13:25
NicholasD

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeren View Post
Since Reason doesn't output any MIDI, the MIDI input on the keyboard doesn't need to be attached. ie: You can't have Reason's sequencer play things and have the sounds come from your piano.

But I just skimmed the Prop's newest newsletter and did I see something about somebody coming up with some sort of workaround for this?
Are you replying to me or brickbeatz? I know I can't have Reason's sequencer play things and have the sounds come from my piano. What i've previously been able to do, however, is set up sounds in Reason which i then play on my digital piano, sending the information through Reason, then lastly out through speakers attached to my computer. I don't understand how the addition of an audio interface has rendered that an impossibility.