Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-10-23, 12:14

How much do I charge?

A local hypnotist has asked me to create some music for his website, obviously I'm going to do this in Reason and estimate it's going to take me no more than 4 hours.

As I'm new to this I will primarily use the project as exposure so the remuneration isn't all that important. However I don't really want to charge £50 for something that may be worth £300 - £400 in the professional industry.

Anybody have any ideas or resources?

Thanks in advance
Old 2009-10-23, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmcnally View Post
As I'm new to this I will primarily use the project as exposure
I've heard that one before. Is it really worth doing just for the exposure? Did you look into his eyes? Did you? Are you confident that it will only be 4 hours and he won't want to make any changes? I'd say whatever you charge should be based on an hourly rate. £XX for the first draft (based on 4 hours) then additional hours at £XX per hour.
Old 2009-10-23, 13:04

Thanks for the reply Dioxide,

The agreement I made with him was to "come up with something" for him to listen too. If he is happy with it he pays me - if not he doesn't.

I'm happy with £100 for x4 hours - this is the rate I usually charge per hour as I'm a freelance Graphic Designer. Do you think this is too cheap for this kind of work?
Old 2009-10-23, 13:21

Quote:
I'm a freelance Graphic Designer.
Me too. That's why I'm cautious of this.

Quote:
If he is happy with it he pays me - if not he doesn't.
He should pay regardless of whether he is happy or not. He has (should have) selected you on the strength of your past work not that you will do it for free. Your rate seems fair to me. If you really want to compromise why not offer a lower rate if he's not happy and wants to pay you for more work on it? Or offer a discount if he's not happy with the results? And you probably shouldn't tell him that that is the case upfront.

If this were me I'd head over to iStock as they do audio files now. I'm getting the feeling that this might not be worth your time and effort. If you do music for free why not do it for your own enjoyment or to sell as stock library material? You could always just sell something on to him. It's the same as what happens with iStock photos.

Last edited by dioxide; 2009-10-23 at 13:23.
Old 2009-10-23, 16:42

Quote:
A local hypnotist has asked me to create some music for his website, obviously I'm going to do this in Reason and estimate it's going to take me no more than 4 hours.

As I'm new to this I will primarily use the project as exposure so the remuneration isn't all that important. However I don't really want to charge £50 for something that may be worth £300 - £400 in the professional industry.

Anybody have any ideas or resources?

Thanks in advance

My advice to you in working with a client is to not assume anything initially. I worked closely with a dance choreographer and assumed that the music I gave her initially would blow her mind. It didn't, in fact she hated it, and it took me 20 hours or so to compose the piece. I ended up working close to 80 hours to get the damn woman what she wanted. I would recommend you sit down with this person and find out EXACTLY what they want in terms of melodic content, rhythmic content (which i assume there won't be much of), and other elements. This can save you hours of time. Once you know these things it's easier to assess how much to charge. I would also be sure that if you are charging 300 or 400 bucks that what you are gonna deliver is top notch in every way. This will likely require a lot more than 4 hours of work to accomplish. Working from the point of view of let's see how little work I can do and get as much money as possible is a shitty fact of the business, but I have worked with too many idiots who over-charged me for things (mainly in the graphic design world) because they thought I didn't know any better. If you only work 4 hours on it be honest and don't charge an outrageous amount. It can show whether you think so or not and can cause clients to start to wonder what exactly they paid for. Oh yeah, and even if you like what you made and the client hates it, you need to change it even if you think the person is a moron. That took me a while to figure out too. Best of luck I hope it goes great!

Last edited by bw120205; 2009-10-23 at 16:52.
Old 2009-10-23, 16:53

put it all in writing--whatever you decide

music at: http://soundcloud.com/techdef
or http://techdef.bandcamp.com/

mixes are up at http://www.mixcloud.com/techdef/
theatrical sound design blog at http://thtrsnd.wordpress.com/
Old 2009-10-23, 16:58

Just my 5 cents worth.

I suppose we are all different but when I got asked if a track could be used for the background music for a video to promote a construction company I just let the guy have it (as long as I got a mention).
I would say that you must be pretty good if you can come up with a track worth $400 in 4 hours. I'd say get in there quick as he might do some research and realise that he might not have to pay a bean.

Grum.
Old 2009-10-23, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
I suppose we are all different but when I got asked if a track could be used for the background music for a video to promote a construction company I just let the guy have it (as long as I got a mention).
I would say that you must be pretty good if you can come up with a track worth $400 in 4 hours. I'd say get in there quick as he might do some research and realise that he might not have to pay a bean.

Grum.
Yeah 400 bucks for 4 hours of work is straight up robbery. Who do you think you are, Phillip Glass? haha. At least lie and say it took longer if you are gonna jip the dude.
Old 2009-10-24, 01:07

In my experience Contras rarely pan out. Or if they do pan they somehow end up outside the stereo field :lol:

In design work I find that clients are happy to give really vague ideas at the start but when presented with drafts suddenly get specific. While many will try to resist try not to design on the page. Get a sketch pad and draw roughs till everyone agrees that if the way to go.

In music that can be a bit harder but it saves a lot of false starts and frustrations that always cost someone (invariably you because the client never accepts they were vague or changed their minds half way).

Hope it goes well or you. Don't let us worry you, just get in there and do it. If you make mistakes, learn from them for next time.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2012-11-14, 01:47

Hahaha this is all I needed to know....