Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-12-23, 06:36
Kronsteen

Each drum its own effects - good idea?

Have I gone mad or is this normal?

Have a look at the graphic below - it shows one "unit" in my drum combinator. Each drum slot gets it's own dedicated compressor, foldback, EQ, slapback panning and reverb - all disabled by default so the effects can be turned on as needed.

(Channel 8 and 9 for the closed and open hihats get spidered together and treated as a single drum, making for 9 channels, routed through a mixer. The whole drum mix is given a wash of tape effect at the end.)

For months I tried processing the drums all at once, putting each drum through a mixer channel and adding effects using send busses. But the gated reverb which was perfect for kicks stopped gating properly when the snare was added, they needed slightly different compressions, another drum worked well when mixed with a distorted return of itself, but only the undistorted "part" got the reverb which sounded wrong, etc.

So I've wound up with this slightly absurd drum rack. Does real producers do this sort of thing, or have I missed something important? Is there an easier alternative?
Attached Images
File Type: gif q2.gif (19.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 2009-12-23, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronsteen View Post
Have I gone mad or is this normal?
Short answer: It's completely normal

Long answer: What is normal anyway? You shouldn't focus on what other people think or do too much. Find a way that works for you and be happy with it. Trust your ears and gut more than anything else and you can't go wrong. Of course be open to constructive critisism but still, what works for you is automatically normal.
Old 2009-12-23, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Short answer: It's completely normal

Long answer: What is normal anyway? You shouldn't focus on what other people think or do too much. Find a way that works for you and be happy with it. Trust your ears and gut more than anything else and you can't go wrong. Of course be open to constructive critisism but still, what works for you is automatically normal.
This. If it sounds right, it is right.
Old 2009-12-23, 14:01

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfielding View Post
This. If it sounds right, it is right.
And whatever doesn't sound remotely right is probably recorded in stereo or panned hard left

<_<
-_-
>_>

I think it's good to learn both conventional practices as well as be aware of other people's methods. I've had lots of people "show" me how to make songs sound better by throwing loads of combinator compressors, or boosting all the bass and treble using the 14:2 ... or adding an MClass mastering combinator before the output; but knowing classical textbook approaches helps contrast.

... so long story short, convention provides a nice little reference point (IMO), and you can deviate from it whenever you feel to.
Old 2009-12-23, 14:42

The advantage to working this way is that it makes it very easy to switch drum sounds. As opposed to a more traditional set-up where you would have certain effects on sends.
Old 2009-12-23, 14:57

I do this as well even though i know it bucks convention. The only thing to watch out for is the reverbs creating an unnatural sense of space due to vastly different reverbs settings, and even that can be useful in its own right. I use a chorus as a send effect due to it not sounding right by itself. I think the props need to look at updating the old modules both synth and effect wise.