Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-02-07, 05:53

Midi question with reason 4

I don't know alot about midi recording , I can hook my midid keyboard up and record with it but heres a dumb question for anyone who might know alot about Midi .

I have a drum machine that has MIDI IN & MIDI OUT on the back , why can't I use my drum machine to add drums to a Reason 4 song I'm creating .
I hooked it up and it recorded something but when I go back to play it back there no drum sounds on that track .
My other keyboard has MIDI jacks in and out on the back , shouldn't I be able to record a MIDI TRACK in reason and hear all the notes that I played on the keyboard.

In REASON 4 you can IMPORT MIDI FILE in the FILE section , what file would you import ?
Are they talking about importing a MIDI FILE from another source ?
Old 2010-02-07, 10:59

Reason doesn't have MIDI out. You can use your MIDI keyboard or drum machine to control Reason's internal instruments and record that into its sequencer, but the sequencer can't send that info back to your hardware.

However, you can use your drum machine as a MIDI clock to control Reason's tempo.
Old 2010-02-07, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmeans View Post
Reason doesn't have MIDI out. You can use your MIDI keyboard or drum machine to control Reason's internal instruments and record that into its sequencer, but the sequencer can't send that info back to your hardware.

However, you can use your drum machine as a MIDI clock to control Reason's tempo.
Thanks but I figured out another workaround using my REWIRE in SONAR HOME STUDIO 7 XL I have had for a year now .
I tried it out last night and it works great , I can record anything in Reason 4 onto Sonar tracks and then freeze those tracks as I add more tracks a very useful tool .
My computer is ok but its only has a single core processor in it , with my computer I have to freeze tracks .
Most of my songs end up having more then 30 recorded tracks in them sometimes more so I need to freeze them .
Another good thing with Rewiring Reason 4 into Sonar is I now can use my Addictive Drum software to create all of my drum tracks plus I have other good VST Synths I paid for I used in Sonar so I can add that to my toolbox too .

I should have all of this worked out in a month , I'm having to figure all of this out while I'm packing all my things up.
In another week or so my wife and I move , that means packing up my computer and everything else in this apartment and then move it all to the new apartment we are moving into this month.
What a drag but the next apartment will work better for me for creating my music , more space for my computer and other things I work with .

Anyway thanks for the help and tips, cheers! GhostriderXL