Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-05-28, 19:41

Is Kong Propellerhead's First Use of Physical Modeling?

Will they be bringing other instruments and effects based on physical models? I like this trend.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:44

That would definitively be cool. But I think instrument physical modelling is a weeeee bit more complex than drum modelling.
Old 2010-05-28, 20:09
Kronsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
That would definitively be cool. But I think instrument physical modelling is a weeeee bit more complex than drum modelling.
Plucked strings, bowed strings and blown tubes can all be modeled as a single column of 'particles' vibrating in one perpendicular dimension, which is actually simpler than the 2D model needed for vibrating drumheads.

However, the types of excitation are more varied and difficult to model - the slip/stick movement of a bow, the rapid repeated 'puffs' of lips playing a trumpet, the 'pull and release' of plucking a string, the 'hammer' of a piano...all different.

Also, the vibration of a cymbal (fixed at the center, unfixed at the edge) is very different from the vibration of a snare (fixed at the edge), which may be why it's not (yet?) included in Kong.