Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2010-06-27, 23:33

Wink The official "One Product, Not Three" thread

Yeah, I said it. One Product. There's too much hate in the world and on the forums. It's obviously caused by product suite inequality, the have's against the have not's. I feel complete shame when I see a post from someone who only owns Record or Reason, or, I can barely say it, Recycle. Why do I deserve to have so much amazing software and they so very little?

I say.. Unite us all under one master dongle! Creative freedom is bought and paid for only through submission to the Law Of The Dongle. I've sacrificed a USB port and I expect everyone to do the same-- or perish in unlicensed/unregistered exile. And for all you One Product haters out there, imagine all the fun you'll have browbeating legacy product posters.

Who's for a New Product Order?!

Note: Any similarity of the NPO's slogan "One Product, Not Three" to Sting's "One World, Not Three" is purely coincidental. The NPO is not associated with the New Pacific Order (Cybernation alliance), New Polar Order (Cybernations Alliance), Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (Dutch public broadcasting system),
National Productivity Organization (although it would make us more productive), Nurses Professional Organization, National Public Observatory, Navy Purchasing Office, Naval Petroleum and Oil Shale Reserves, Naval Project Office, NWTS Program Office (US DOE), or any Non Profit Organization (although we might not profit from this thread)

Last edited by danreneer; 2010-06-27 at 23:43. Reason: added apologist slant
Old 2010-06-27, 23:35

are you mildly intoxicated or am I
Old 2010-06-28, 03:47

I'm getting an uneasy feeling that "ReCycle in R+R!" threads are going to soon overtake those for VST Support (aargh!).
Old 2010-06-28, 04:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post
I'm getting an uneasy feeling that "ReCycle in R+R!" threads are going to soon overtake those for VST Support (aargh!).
HEY! Asshole.

Yup. +1 for this, obviously. Now, who's going to make a shiny "NPO" banner to put in my sig?

EDIT:

Although, your snarkiness seems a bit counterproductive.
Damn it. I've GOT to stop winking.

Currently awaiting Phasys' resurrection.

My Soundcloud

Last edited by ddaygames; 2010-06-28 at 04:19.
Old 2010-06-28, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaygames View Post
..your snarkiness seems a bit counterproductive.
The snarkiness is the result of years in software development. I have little to no confidence that most corporations have the stomach to relinquish their product suites via a consolidation.

As for VST.. I'd want VST too if I was only a Record user and had not seen the sheer awesomeness of complex Reason effect combinators (For example, many great effects make use of Thors & Malstroms, not as instruments but as modulators. "Effects" for Record-only users are subsequently gimped by not having "instrument" devices-- doesn't make much sense.) At any rate, whatever I'd ever want a VST to do I'd rather have Props build it their way, because it's always better Prop's way. NPO would actually reduce the likelihood of needing a VST/VSTi/AU/ball-gag.

Another benefit of NPO is that user input would be based on a more uniform set of user-to-product profiles, instead of users submitting requests and feedback from grossly different perspectives. Fewer "you can already do that, all you need is the other product" confusion.

Oh yeah.
Old 2010-06-28, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreneer View Post
The snarkiness is the result of years in software development. I have little to no confidence that most corporations have the stomach to relinquish their product suites via a consolidation.
Aaah...here's where I shut my mouth in quiet respect.

Yes, I agree with all your points, and I think you're definitely (obviously) right about the companies not wanting to make that dive. Is your idea to maintain the modularity of the Three R's or do suggest an all-in-one package for everyone?

Currently awaiting Phasys' resurrection.

My Soundcloud
Old 2010-06-28, 17:35

At some point Props will release REX3 and Recycle 3. They know just as well as we do that Recycle is showing its age interms of algorithms and interface. Recycle 3 will probably be integrated into Record as well, giving people even bigger reason to buy Record. It might not get any cheaper but it will probably have some more tasty features and be easier to use.

It seems likely that Props are starting a yearly release cycle. Record last year, Reason this year and maybe Recycle 3 next year. Point is that it they wouldnt just integrate Recycle 2, but wait till theyve redesigned 3.
Old 2010-06-29, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaygames View Post
Is your idea to maintain the modularity of the Three R's or do suggest an all-in-one package for everyone?
This idea is a complete consolidation.

Probably the best comparison would probably be the way several productivity suites are sold & run. Microsoft Office is available as a suite and individually, and each "module" is installed as a separate application. Apple's iwork is only sold as a suite and installed each module as separate application. NeoOffice for Mac (it might be the same for Open Office, I'm unaware) installs one application, and from that application a user can launch word processor, spreadsheet, drawing, presentation, or even database documents types.

I would argue that Record, Reason & Recycle are better suited to consolidation than productivity tools like (Office, iWork or OpenOffice) or even suites like Adobe Creative Suite. Adobe would love to have the consolidation potential of R/R/R but that's just not possible with the massive cognitive footprint that each of their products have. Photoshop alone dwarfs a R/R/R.

I'd place a R/R/R somewhere in the space of something like Fireworks which allows users to do vector illustration (ie illustrator), image editing (i.e. Photoshop), and can even output HTML & flash code. It's an amazing professional tool, and consolidates many pro level features much in the same way the R/R/R would.

As Record and Reason become more consistent, I suspect more and more people will question the rational for a suite (the delta between the two will all but disappear, at least from the Reason perspective). This won't be over cost either, but rather for convenience and ease of use. One purchase, one license, one application.

By the way, there's no need for quiet respect. There's plenty people in software dev who would disagree with me. My opinions are merely the result of seeing great products supported by hundreds of people get buried by disruptive models supported by minuscule organizations. Unnecessary suites and feature bloat were to blame, IMO.

Dammit, I just realized that the product consolidation of phone/camera/mediaplayer would have been a better example. Sigh.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:52

absolutely

i would love this 100%

make a reason suite of all progs combined and keep the single programs around for the other guys to pick up if they don't want all of it.

but sign me up for the reason suite.

1 dongle, 1 program under props
Old 2010-06-29, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreneer View Post

By the way, there's no need for quiet respect. There's plenty people in software dev who would disagree with me. My opinions are merely the result of seeing great products supported by hundreds of people get buried by disruptive models supported by minuscule organizations.
Well having done a lot of software dev work, my experience is that "ours is not to reason why" - we just do it. Insane managers, or marketing departments make these kinds of 'overall direction' decisions. I'm not sure about PH but I imagine the devs there have a more direct input.

MIDI out: Deep down, in the darkest corner of their hearts, even trolls want it.