Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-07-12, 13:34

"Noob" needs help with samplers!

Hi folks,

Just bought Reason 4 - literally a few days ago - and this is my first post here (yeah, that faint popping sound you can hear is that of fireworks going off in celebration!).

So far, I've read through the 'Getting Started' guide and have cobbled together enough basic knowledge to begin writing music. The trouble I'm having is with the samplers...

At the moment, I'm creating sample loops - i.e. drum loops and vocals - using software outside of Reason (such as Audacity) and then importing these loops into one of the Reason samplers in .wav format. So far so good - I've worked out how to import the .wav files and get them to play in the sequencer.

The problem I have is that I'm having to use one sampler per sample - e.g. I load a vocal loop into the NN-XT; it plays fine; but I'm unable to add another sample to the same NN-XT without it over-riding the first sample - if that makes any sense?

In short: how do I load multiple sample loops (.wav format) into a single sampler?

Or do I really have to continue using one sampler per loop? (which seems ridiculous!).

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Pat
Old 2010-07-12, 13:40

You have to set the key-range for this sample in the NN-XT. A tutorial how this can be done is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhR-...eature=related DonĀ“t forget to save this as a patch when your done. You can reload this patch simple then in other song files too.

If you play to work with audioloops from time to time, my best advice for you is to get Record also...

And finally: Welcome!

Last edited by Truhse; 2010-07-12 at 13:43.
Old 2010-07-12, 13:49

^ Thanks for the quick reply - I'm currently at work but have bookmarked that link for later; looks useful!
Old 2010-07-12, 13:51

if you right click on the Sampler and select ADD ZONE you can add another sample of your choosing but as Truhse mentioned.. you will need to adjust the key-range for each sample. So technically you could add a loop for each key of your keyboard.

thepmpod@gmail.com
www.thepmpod.com
www.facebook.com/thepmpod
www.twitter.com/thepmpodcast
Old 2010-07-12, 14:08

^ Cheers folks - this is starting to make sense now!

I did try assigning .wav loops to different keys on my keyboard (Oxygen 25) last night, using 'Add Zone' - only I ended up with my loops playing at different pitches (i.e. the loops would always play at the same pitch as the key I'd assigned them to - rather than key simply being a trigger). So it sounds like I was getting close, but no cigar...

I'll try out your advice when I get home later.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 2010-07-12, 14:23

you would also need to adjust the ROOT of each sample. Use the left knob under the sample zone window

thepmpod@gmail.com
www.thepmpod.com
www.facebook.com/thepmpod
www.twitter.com/thepmpodcast
Old 2010-07-12, 15:47

Also check the NN-XT and/or NN19 sections of your PDF manual (the full one not the Getting STarted one) and it covers all this quite well. The PDF gets installed with Reason.
Old 2010-07-12, 15:58

^ Thanks again folks, very helpful indeed.

And you're absolutely right...it's probably time to put down the 'Getting Started' document and pick up the full manual. I've been delaying this due to it's sheer size (400 pages - yikes!), but I guess it's time to take a deep breath and dive in...

PS: I'm very out of touch with music-making (I used to tinker about on Cubase and various freeware over 10 years ago...), but so far I'm VERY impressed with Reason. I like the 'all under one roof' approach which seems to make it a very stable platform - at least it hasn't crashed on me yet.
Old 2010-07-12, 16:10
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat303 View Post
at least it hasn't crashed on me yet.
It has crashed on me yet, either. 10 years and counting.
Old 2010-07-12, 19:17

Pat if you are using reason and you like to create your own loops,
let me just say ReCycle!!

Also,
if you are working per project, and have X number of loops for one NNXT..
just go to load sample, point to loops, select them all, and load.
then while they are all still selected, "automap chromatically"