Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-07-13, 18:46

kong drum designer

will reason 5s kong drum designer eliminate the need for a real drum machine. why or why not
Old 2010-07-13, 19:16

I think it is up to the user himself what or what not to do or use :P
But in my opinion it rocks
Old 2010-07-13, 19:58

i already dont need a drum machine
Old 2010-07-13, 19:59

I think it won't replace the tactile benefits of a good standalone machine, so an Akai MPD or something similar might be nice for MPC fans. Other than that, I don' know why any Reason users would need a standalone drum machine again. NI Maschine looks interesting to me--use as much standalone vs controller as needed.

Anyone have any opinions on which controller would work best ergonomically with Kong? I hate trying to remember which specific remote control is mapped to which software control.
Old 2010-07-13, 20:09
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreneer View Post
Anyone have any opinions on which controller would work best ergonomically with Kong?
I've been enjoying using my Korg padKontrol with it but that doesn't give you knob and faders, really. But Scene 11 from the factory settings on the padKontrol map to Kong's pads so I'm happy.
Old 2010-07-13, 20:47

I use a Korg Kontrol49, which works pretty well with Reason overall. It has pads and keys as well as knobs and sliders.
Old 2010-07-13, 21:40

Keep in mind that Kong isn't actually a drum machine anyway. As it doesn't sequence, unlike say Redrum, or of course just about any hardware drum machine out there. So they are quite different in that respect.

That said, you could use Redrum to sequence Kong very simply. So then both will behave much like a single drum machine. But with rather better sonic possibilities than you'd get from using Redrum alone.

That said (Part 2) I have a great Jomox drum machine that packs some pretty serious punch. No software has yet come close to it for outright clout, so Kong or not, it's a keeper I can still sample it for use in Reasons devices of course, if I wished. So again, all this stuff can work together if that is what you want to do..

But in short, you shouldn't need a hardware drum machine at all with Reason 5. But if you got a really nice one, then you can certainly integrate it to some extent.
Old 2010-07-13, 21:42

What is a Drum Machine?
Old 2010-07-13, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanharlin View Post
I've been enjoying using my Korg padKontrol with it but that doesn't give you knob and faders, really. But Scene 11 from the factory settings on the padKontrol map to Kong's pads so I'm happy.
But you do get the X/Y pad and 2 knobs.

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU