Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-07-31, 06:12
SymmetryofIllusion

Experimental Electronic Music

Hello. I'm rather new to DAW music creation, and I had some questions I was hoping those here wouldn't mind answering. I apologize if it is trite, but I want to be sure my search is thorough. I'm searching for a DAW that will suit my needs. Unfortunately, funds are very limited at the moment, which makes this difficult. But I would like to know about Reason, nonetheless, and how it may (or may not) be suited to the style of music I aim for.

I have a particular passion for experimental electronic music, and would love to incorporate such qualities into my own music - especially the weird, techy synth sounds and styles.. I’ve sampled demos of several (what I assume to be, and forgive me if I am wrong, entry level) programs - Magix Music Maker 16, FL Studio 9, and then Mixcraft. FL seemed a bit more complex than the others, for the price.

A general online consensus (from what I’ve seen) seems to be that programs like Reason (of course) Cubase, and Logic are the preferred DAWs, albeit more expensive (hence my tentativeness to sample them as of yet).

Of what I did demo, FL Studio seemed possibly more able than the others to do what I am looking for (for the price), however I find its interface incredibly confusing. There doesn’t appear to be much order, it’s just - all there, all at once...It’s rather counter-intuitive to me. This person at BandAmp put it well here: http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/6903.html#id6941

I've read about REAPER - nothing but great things (especially for the price!); however it seems like this is less suited to electronic music, and the kind of fine-tuning I would need to do and not have a headache.

Then of course I’ve read about the open source stuff - It seems great, however, the top candidate for Windows, though, seems to be LMMS (apparently modeled after, what do ya know, FruityLoops).

Oi, I’ve gotten myself into a predicament. I only can afford between $100-$200. I’m trying to find something that is well designed for electronic music, is affordable, and isn‘t a headache to use. I’d love to edit the socks off of sounds, and really tweak and make my music quite unique - The experimental process is very important.

What do you suggest? The other programs are affordable, very easy to use, but they don’t seem as apt at the really, really fine details that I’m looking for (at least thus far in my experience - I’m still such a novice, forgive my ignorance). Could I link up a less expensive program with a program like LMMS, and other various internet tidbits (or does LMMS lack said features too)?

Also, I’ve heard of Orion...It seems more affordable as well, but I don’t know how different it is from the others in that price range. What do you think?

I would very much appreciate any feedback and/or advice.

Thanks so much for reading, sorry if it was long.
Old 2010-07-31, 06:44

Well, first of all, Reason isn't a DAW it's a soft-synth/music production software. Record is closer to a DAW but quite. The big 3 DAW's are Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic.

I have never used Reaper personally but I hear a lot of great things about it, especially for the price.

If you go with Reaper, that opens you up to the world of VST instruments and effects. If you're looking to use synths, there are many FREE VST synths out there. MinimogueVA and Arp2600VA come to mind as well as many, many others. I'll round up some links on post them here for you.

I am not an electronic musician by any stretch of the imagination so do hold out for advice from people more directly involved in this general area of music. I just figured I'd pile on my 2 cents. Best of luck.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
Old 2010-07-31, 06:49

OK, here are some links to get you started:

http://www.home.no/gunnare/downloads.htm

http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

http://www.vstplanet.com/Instruments...nthesizers.htm

http://www.vst4free.com/

If you don't need to record actual audio tracks, and are only working with synths, Reason may be the way to go because it is extremely powerful and flexible in terms of routing and making complex patches. You can mix master and export directly from Reason depending on what your goals/needs are.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
Old 2010-07-31, 07:14

Having used quite a few DAWs for writing fully electronic albums I am 100% confident to say I find Reason (and now Record) the most functional and fulfilling choice.

Sonar is pretty hight-end but at version 2.2 is was very crash prone. Energy XT held me for quite a few years but 2.5 is not the most complete software. The holes become annoying. Fruity I have never managed more than a simple piece because, as you say while it has a million features, they are all just there and not really in a flow.

The synths and samplers in Reason are fully capable and professional (yes even compared to VST) and if you put in the time the Combinators and CV routing options open up a lot of possibilities. Most importanatly the workflow is very "sorted" allowing you to work fast and smooth.

I hope that helps you some

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2010-07-31, 09:18

Why not try the demo versions for a trial..... I have Cubase5.5 and Reason/Record and I know which I use most of the time, R/R especially if I'm looking for an electronic feel....