Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-08-26, 21:43

What Propellerhead could do for their frustrated customers

I'm a new Propellerhead customer who bought Reason 4 and Record a few weeks ago specifically because of the features advertised in the coming upgrade, and I'm one of many who were surprised and disappointed by the way the new versions were released yesterday.

The crux of the issue is that I, and many other people, feel quite misled by what Propellerhead said to sell me their product. It's not a positive way to start a new relationship with a company, and it leaves me wondering whether I'm going to be frustrated by lots of other surprises down the road.

I recognize that it is beyond Propellerhead's power to wave a magic wand and redo this product launch, but here is what I would like to see them do to mitigate the issues:

1) Admit that they didn't set customer expectations well regarding the Reason 5 upgrade offer. Not all of us have been Reason customers for a decade, and we certainly didn't expect our upgrade to be in the hands of some company we've never dealt with, or for it to take weeks after launch day. A mea culpa and some transparency go a long way to defusing customer frustration. Please stop blaming newer users for not knowing "how we've always done things" or for not catching details buried on the site when your own marketing materials and main site pages neglected to mention critical information.

2) Update the Reason 1.5 download page (http://www.propellerheads.se/download/record/) immediately to warn that it is not compatible with Reason 4. This is a work stoppage issue and should therefore be treated very seriously by Propellerhead. The severity is exacerbated by the fact that the Record and Reason updates are not available simultaneously for most users. Burying this info in the FAQ is clearly not enough.

3) Provide assurance that Propellerhead will fix it if something goes wrong while redeeming free upgrades via their designated distributors. I've never purchased anything from Line 6, and I have no reason to trust that they'll do a good job processing my upgrade. Most rebate processors are motivated to deny as many rebates as possible and I've had to fight wrongful denials in the past.

Also, Line 6's terms and conditions for the upgrade offer stipulate: "Must be purchased as new from an Authorized Line 6 Dealer in the United States". I will be righteously livid if they deny me an upgrade because Propellerhead didn't tell me I had to buy Reason 4 from some secret list of "authorized Line 6 dealers".

Propellerhead offered the upgrade deal so that they would not lose customers who buy something else because they don't want to wait. It would be wise to show some consideration for the commitment those customers made. It sucks to look back a few weeks and think I would have been better off not purchasing Reason/Record (and maybe deciding to buy some NI products instead - which I was seriously considering).

Does taking customers on good faith open Propellerhead to risk of giving software to someone who doesn't deserve it? Possibly - though if someone can produce a valid Reason 4 registration key, they're likely legit. Is it worth it for Propellerhead to take that risk? Definitely. They will lose far more in reputation and future sales if those who took them up on the free upgrade offer end up not getting what was promised.

4) Finally, Propellerhead should take a hard look at their marketing practices and their copy protection strategy. Whoever wrote their "Upgrading Made Easy" guide missed the boat in a big way, for example. Nowhere does it say that the products are delivered via different channels. Claiming I'll get my upgrade from "my distributor" is completely misleading since the companies I consider my distributors aren't Line 6.

And if they're going to insist on physical-only copy protection for Reason, they could do a lot to make it less painful to obtain a physical DVD (pre-order and pre-shipment so it arrives close to release day? Let me redeem my free upgrade from a vendor I trust?). Lots of companies, small and large, have figured this out - it just takes better planning.

This is probably more than most frustrated users what to read, but I hope that Propellerhead sees it and seriously considers how much positive impact they could have by offering some transparency and assistance to their users.

-- Kerry
Old 2010-08-26, 21:54

Line 6 has been the US distributor for a long time, so i'm not really surprised by that. It should be a non issue redeeming said upgrade

My big problem is that they didn't start the upgrade process awhile ago, so as to not have this mystery over the upgrade process until near release... then disappoint people with a 4-6 week processing after release, when they could have been doing this all along.
Old 2010-08-26, 21:56

First of all whew! you type too much!
and i think you posted that same thing somewhere here earlier ((so i just skimmed over it this time))

Anyway, its sad to see so many people lose their cool over this because

A: GuitarCenter (& who knows where else) sold early. their bad.

B: Props never changed their story,
many of us have been sitting here watching the whole thing unfold..

They MOST CERTAINLY DID tell everyone (and always do)
that you must buy from a authorized reason dealer.
and upgrade paths, prices, buying from Props or distributor, infos...
were always here, and clear.

I dont think we can really blame Props for anything except
announcing some bad ass software and then releasing it.
Old 2010-08-26, 22:03

I dunno, i think failing to let people know that it will take up to 6 weeks for the upgrade to arrive is a valid point.

But then again i'm pretty sure thats down to line 6 and not propellerheads, as no other country seems to be suffering that problem ("only in america" as the saying goes).
Old 2010-08-26, 22:09

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldele View Post
Line 6 has been the US distributor for a long time, so i'm not really surprised by that. It should be a non issue redeeming said upgrade

My big problem is that they didn't start the upgrade process awhile ago, so as to not have this mystery over the upgrade process until near release... then disappoint people with a 4-6 week processing after release, when they could have been doing this all along.
I totally agree. This is why soooo many people are upset. The waiting game is sooo much fun.
Old 2010-08-26, 22:14

I'm with Khammil on this one. Line 6 makes no mention of a Record 1.5 upgrade on their site. That has me worried. This sucks! 6 more weeks. B.S.!!!
Old 2010-08-26, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldele View Post
My big problem is that they didn't start the upgrade process awhile ago
I can't put it any better than that. I love props and their software, but right now I am also playing a waiting game and it is quite unsatisfying.

*Soundcloud
Old 2010-08-26, 23:56

playing the waiting game too. not cool. i thought we'd get a download first to use until the real deal came in the mail, kinda like a internet verification until it hit your home.

the people bitching about not being able to use reason 5 BEFORE the release date are out of line.

but us who have not gotten the software AFTER the release date have a valid point i think.

as much as it would have probably killed me to walk into guitard center im kinda thinking it was the better route to go.
Old 2010-08-27, 08:48

Unhappy 6 weeks is a long time

there are so many things wrong with this release and I have not even put it on my computer
Old 2010-08-27, 10:02

This has been on the site for months and months and months...

"Open positions VP of Product Management

Propellerhead is seeking a VP to oversee all product management work for the company."

How on earth does a software company have a long term VP PM vacancy? Not a good sign.