Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-08-30, 22:49

Reason 5 / Record 1.5 upgrade installed and complete - easy peasy

I've seen a few posts over the days with people upgrading to Reason 5 + Record having issues getting it to work. I just completed it and all is well. I hope this helps someone that is having trouble. Hopefully it's not a repost.

1) Uninstall Reason 4 and Record 1.0 (if you have any personal files stored in the Reason/Record folders, please make backup copies before you uninstall)
2) Go to www.propellerheads.se/upgrade (do this before installing to get it out of the way)
3) Login with your normal account
4) Choose your software upgrade (i.e. Reason 1/4 -> Reason 5)
5) Enter the Upgrade ID and Verification number with the dashes
6) ** Select your OS platform (I forgot this the first time and it gave me an error "Apparently something went wrong...")
7) Submit your info
8) Check your email for the new License number that you will enter into Reason 5.
9) Install all your software
10) Run Reason and enter the emailed License number into Reason went prompted.
11) Reason Upgrade Complete

Continue for the Record part of the registration:

12) Install and start Record
13) CodeMeter will open a window and prompt you with a Launch browser button.
14) Click the Launch button
15) Propellerheads registration page will open
16) Select the Record 1.5 license that should be already generated
17) Procede with the registration of the new code
18) Your Reason 5 license will need to be added to the Ignition key, so you might as well add this while you are here. If you are having trouble finding it, check under Your Products on the account page. Select Reason 5 and click "Manage License" and then Authorize! on the following page
19) Done

You may also need to tell Record where your Reason installation is. In Record, open the preferences and choose File Locations to fix it. Then restart Record. Make sure you pointed it to the correct install. If it's pointing to your old Reason 4 folder or the demo, it won't work.

I might be missing a "Next button" click or two in the details above, but that should give you the general idea. I hope that helps.

Last edited by Knickle; 2010-08-31 at 00:23.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:07

Great work, very detailed. I haven't done this yet, but wouldn't it be safer to leave uninstalling until just before you install the new? That way if some previous step fails you're no worse off than you were.

If there's a reason why that shouldn't be done, ignore this. In fact, let me know and I'll edit out the bad advice.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:14

I too had an easy time. Funnily it could all be accomplished by reading all the documentation regarding installation, which was like 2 small cards with 3 steps each or something. Super easy. For those who claim to have gotten bad license numbers tho, I can see why they would be having trouble.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:21

It's always best to do start clean and fresh, which is why I started at the uninstall. I actually uninstalled everything last week and I've been playing with the demo all this time. If the software is critical to your job or if you have deadlines to meet, then you can hold off on uninstallation until your new license is emailed to you.

Alot of people like to install new software on top of old software without giving it a thought. In my opinion it's a bad habbit and asking for trouble. My moto is "start clean and fresh".

The only other suggestion I would make is to copy any of your old files (such as patches, songs, and refills) out of the Reason or Record folders. Those are bad places to store personal files, but if it's where you keep them copy them somewhere else first!

Hmmm... I think I'll add that to the first step.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:26

I'm not talking about installing on top of the old version, but holding off on the uninstall until it's necessary to do so -- just _before_ the new software goes on. This is how I advise my clients to install the software I write -- but it's medical, not musical. :-}
Old 2010-08-31, 00:28

I know. I was just explaining why it was my first step. A lot of people will miss it in the excitement if you don't tell them.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:28

Ah! Gotcha.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:37

I installed the Record 1.5 update/authorization a couple of days ago, but I'm waiting for the Reason 5 upgrade to come on Wednesday. I hope it will work.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:41

It should, I've gathered all the serial number screwups were in the Reason/Record duo package, so if you're receiving a Reason 5 upgrade you should have no problem. That's what I got, worked like a charm (to install- having performance issues with my comp).

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlejunkie View Post
It should, I've gathered all the serial number screwups were in the Reason/Record duo package, so if you're receiving a Reason 5 upgrade you should have no problem. That's what I got, worked like a charm (to install- having performance issues with my comp).
Some people with Record for Reason Owners or Record/Reason DUO already bought Record for Reason Owners again and the key doesn't work as it looks for an unbound Reason license when you enter it (also it's a new product and not an upgrade key!)

Can't blame props for this but apparently GC were saying it was the correct upgrade to buy :-/