Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-09-04, 08:37

Blocks questions

I have a few questions about blocks in Reason.

1) Is there any way to assign a block to a region already recorded in song mode? Like just draw a block over it and have everything within that region placed in a new block ready to be arranged?

2) Is there any way to simply locally copy a block in a single click? What I mean is e.g. you want to go further than just muting/unmuting tracks in the song mode to change just a single instance of a block, so it'd be great if there were some nice way to do that. Right now all I can think of is literally going in to the block, selecting all, copying it all, then going to an empty block, pasting in, then making the block variation in there.

3) A suggestion to the Props, I'd love to have more blocks, an unlimited number would be ideal and the ability to nest blocks, so a block could contain other blocks of e.g. repeatedly used drum patterns. It'd also be neat to have something like the groove control over them, to procedurally randomize up their playback sometimes, think like Ableton Live's loops only I think if you could nest blocks it would be much more powerful.
Old 2010-09-04, 18:57

Blocks is a welcome addition, but it leaves me wanting more as well.

e.g. allow more lanes in the blocks track, so that I can have more that one block "playing" at the same time, e.g. one with percussion, one with bass etc.
Old 2010-09-05, 00:41

True, but I'd settle for knowing the answers to the first two questions too for now.
Old 2010-09-05, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmesadie View Post

1) Is there any way to assign a block to a region already recorded in song mode? Like just draw a block over it and have everything within that region placed in a new block ready to be arranged?

2) Is there any way to simply locally copy a block in a single click? What I mean is e.g. you want to go further than just muting/unmuting tracks in the song mode to change just a single instance of a block, so it'd be great if there were some nice way to do that. Right now all I can think of is literally going in to the block, selecting all, copying it all, then going to an empty block, pasting in, then making the block variation in there.

3) A suggestion to the Props, I'd love to have more blocks, an unlimited number would be ideal and the ability to nest blocks, so a block could contain other blocks of e.g. repeatedly used drum patterns. It'd also be neat to have something like the groove control over them, to procedurally randomize up their playback sometimes, think like Ableton Live's loops only I think if you could nest blocks it would be much more powerful.
I have an everything about blocks video on youtube that explains what you can do with Block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAlcadBNBU
Old 2010-09-05, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aje68 View Post
Blocks is a welcome addition, but it leaves me wanting more as well.

e.g. allow more lanes in the blocks track, so that I can have more that one block "playing" at the same time, e.g. one with percussion, one with bass etc.

Why - use the one block with percussion / bass / lead line / drums - copy it/paste it/repeat it in linear mode then go in with the Mute tool and Mute out sections you don't want.

You over dub in linear mode.

I don't get what the limitation is here as any single block can have any combination of instrument and audio lanes running at once.

And if you want sections of Block C playing with Block A - either copy and paste the date required into a new variation block or copy and paste the date from that block to the relevant point in a linear sequence that is totally separate too the blocks themselves.
Old 2010-09-05, 05:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomecron View Post
Why - use the one block with percussion / bass / lead line / drums - copy it/paste it/repeat it in linear mode then go in with the Mute tool and Mute out sections you don't want.

You over dub in linear mode.

I don't get what the limitation is here as any single block can have any combination of instrument and audio lanes running at once.

And if you want sections of Block C playing with Block A - either copy and paste the date required into a new variation block or copy and paste the date from that block to the relevant point in a linear sequence that is totally separate too the blocks themselves.
I see what your saying but when you think of how that would be useful, it seems to make things repetitive. and you can technically all ready do it. You don't have take you drum beat and put it into a block, you can just past it right over a block. and putting block over block sounds like a good idea, but you might as well just record over a block in song mode
Old 2010-09-05, 05:22

sorry anomecron i quoted the wrong person, that wasn't meant towards you. But I reread the statement you were replying to and he was saying that he wants like 2 block lanes to draw blocks into, instead of one. But you are definitely right, there is no need for that because the lanes in each block are unlimited. People would start making blocks like "Synth Line", "Bass""drums" and instead of making blocks, they would technically just be making vertical lanes
Old 2010-09-05, 10:54

The reason that I want multiple lanes in blocks is really as a substitute for linked clips / clip aliases. I do not want make copies of clips, because if I change something in the original, then I have to go through and update all the copies.
Old 2010-09-05, 19:56

I guess one way you could use blocks is the ableton approach with clips. Record all your drums in one block (called "Drums"?), the basses in ...? You get the idea. Then play around with the mute tool to find useful combinations. Then, if you'de like to, bounce these to new track and start building your song. Just think out of the blocks :-)
Old 2010-09-20, 20:59

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmesadie View Post

Was this question ever answered to your satisfaction? i.e., To use blocks, must I always begin by laying down tracks in block mode?