Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-10-09, 03:28

Scream 4 question - Tube saturation for vocals?

I know there is tape saturation in the scream 4 unit, but is the tube effect used for vocals too? like...as in for tube saturation like the Antares tube plugin?
Old 2010-10-09, 05:22

The short answer is yes, because I'm almost certain that at least one person has used it this way! ;-)

The longer answer is yes, if.

The first part being: 'if' being if YOU like the sound of it. I'm not familiar with the Antares plugin, but it's safe to say the they will sound at least slightly different, as has every tube plugin or hardware device I've heard. So maybe you'll be lucky and it will sound exactly like the Antares plugin, and maybe not.

The other part of the question has to do with what effect you're looking for, a blusey tube 'color', or a "Ministry" full on Tube Screamer vocal (or something in between)?
Old 2010-10-09, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
The other part of the question has to do with what effect you're looking for, a blusey tube 'color', or a "Ministry" full on Tube Screamer vocal (or something in between)?
I'm looking more for the kinda soft tube "coloring" which gives a vocal track "warmth" and some color..not doing the destruction thing haha
Old 2010-10-09, 18:33

IMHO, this is best 'captured' by a decent tube mic, mic pre, compressor, or all of the above. With a good tube pre (current favorite is the UA-610 with EQ and compressor) you can dial in exactly the amount of 'color' that you want (including a nice 'clean' sound) and it's always gonna sound just like the real thing (because it IS the real thing).

A tube mic pre (and possible a tube mic or compressor) is probably responsible for what you've heard on past records, at least the ones before plugins. :-)

Still haven't EVER been tempted to use a tube plugin on vocals, mainly because I haven't heard one that doesn't have more cons than pros.