Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-10-26, 07:51

Arrow After 10 hours of Recycle recently..

I've been trying to clean up my sample folders recently and ran across a very old but decent collection of hi-hat and ride loops (RADS vol3).

After combining left and right files for hundreds of loops, I then began the process of Recycling. I think I just gave up. Here's what I think..
  • Recycle sucks. It's like a museum piece of something that used to be very impressive and now is pretty much the bottom of the software barrel. It used to be a big deal, but so were brick-sized solar calculators.
  • I don't even know where to start on feature suggestions, other than... Please Props, do something with Recycle.
  • With it's current feature set it belongs in Reason (previously requested, presumably ignored).
  • A massive number of improvements could justify paid upgrades to the standalone product.
  • I used to have patience for this. Earlier in this decade I spent hundreds of hours Recycling. I'm sorry, I just can't stand it any more.
As it stands now, all Recycle does for me is make me give up and go buy REX libraries. Now if I could find that RADS library as a REX2 download. Sigh.
Old 2010-10-26, 12:53
Kronsteen

I think ReCycle would make sense as a cheap or free application - or as part of Reason's sample editor.

It's a simple, quick utility for making REX files, and the only reason it's used at all is that it's the only utility for making REX files. Which is in itself a little odd, because if you look at a REX file in a hex editor it looks like quite a simple format, which shouldn't be that hard to reverse engineer.

If any other company had access to the algorithm, they'd have put out software that'd have superceeded ReCycle long ago, with all the extra features and streamlining you could ask for.

But there is one other issue, namely that it's trivially easy to get hold of a pirate copy. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those on this forum who don't have ReCycle icons have a pirate version somewhere, which may even be an integral part of their studio.

So given that it's absurdly overpriced, out of date and routinely pirated...just how many copies do Propellerhead sell per year? Why do they think it's worth holding on to?
Old 2010-10-26, 17:26

I'm hoping this is something to do with a recycle replacement/update/incorporation into reason? The vertical bar kind of gives me that idea.
Old 2010-10-26, 17:49

That picture makes it so clear! It's like one of those old magic eyes. Stare at it for an hour let your eyes cross and then you can see all the future plans of props.

Agreed. Recycle needs to be upgrade or go the way of rebirth!

Hopefully upgrade and intergration will come with Record 2.0
Old 2010-10-31, 20:21

I am sorry but I agree. Recycle needs a major update.
Old 2010-11-01, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreneer View Post
I've been trying to clean up my sample folders recently and ran across a very old but decent collection of hi-hat and ride loops (RADS vol3).

After combining left and right files for hundreds of loops, I then began the process of Recycling. I think I just gave up. Here's what I think..
  • Recycle sucks. It's like a museum piece of something that used to be very impressive and now is pretty much the bottom of the software barrel. It used to be a big deal, but so were brick-sized solar calculators.
  • I don't even know where to start on feature suggestions, other than... Please Props, do something with Recycle.
  • With it's current feature set it belongs in Reason (previously requested, presumably ignored).
  • A massive number of improvements could justify paid upgrades to the standalone product.
  • I used to have patience for this. Earlier in this decade I spent hundreds of hours Recycling. I'm sorry, I just can't stand it any more.
As it stands now, all Recycle does for me is make me give up and go buy REX libraries. Now if I could find that RADS library as a REX2 download. Sigh.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Recycle sucks.

It is great for calculating tempos and most of the time the transient detection does a good job finding the sample start points.

All I think it really needs mostly is minor tweaks.

The only real gripes are:

1. Lack of Compressed audio support. Mp3 support is hugely needed. I know some people will say they don't want to cover the licensing costs but IMO if Reaper (a $40 program) can cover MP3 import and export, Recycle should be able to do this as well (and for Recycle only MP3 import is needed) (This is pretty standard now but in 1997 a lot of compressed audio formats were just making their start).

2. Manual sample waveform editing is tedious (for finding transient start points). Recycle does seem ancient in this department if anyone has worked with Live and seen how easy it is to manually zoom in and out of samples and find start and end points.

3. Ability to time correct audio.

If they did all 3 of these features, Recycle would be unstoppable.
Old 2010-11-01, 18:03

Sorry jlgrimes, but compared to other technologies out there Recycle pretty much sucks in every way.
It gets the job done, but it feels like working with a program that was last updated in 2003.
Old 2010-11-01, 18:05

if they just made zooming in and out less shitty I'd be happy.
Old 2010-11-01, 18:09

Dear propellerhead
In a nut shell recyle 3 is well over do