Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-11-24, 21:12

see the faders / knobs moving..

Hi Guys

Not a very important thing, but still wondering..

When you connect the output of an LFO via CV to a combinator knob, and assign that knob to let's say the pitch wheel of the same (or another) device inside the combinator, you can see the pitch wheel moving..

However, if you don't use a combinator, you won't see the wheel moving.

example:
-create a subtractors
-connect the LFO out of the Subtactor to Pitch Wheel of the same Substractor. You can hear the sound pitching up and down, but ypi cannot see the pitch wheel move

-Now create a combinator and insert a Subtactor
-Connect the LFO out of the Subtactor to Rotary 1 of the combinator
-Assign the combinator's Rotary 1 to Pitch Bend
You can now also see the pitch wheel moving up and down

As said, it's not a real problem, but I personally like to see what the knobs / faders are doing when some CV signal is affecting them

Shouldn't be a big deal to programm it since the knobs / faders / wheels do move when automation is recorded or the signal is coming via combinator

Or am I missing something.. some settings / options?

Thx
ill
Old 2010-11-24, 21:26

Quote:
Or am I missing something
Nope, that's the way it works. Occasionally wonder about that myself.
Old 2010-11-24, 21:31

thought so.. am using reason since years and I'm still discovering things in there.. So was worth asking Might end up in the feature suggestion section

Cheers
ill
Old 2010-11-24, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by illCarl View Post
thought so.. am using reason since years and I'm still discovering things in there.. So was worth asking Might end up in the feature suggestion section

Cheers
ill
As a feature suggestion, I've always wanted to see a 'ring' around the knob, or a line next to sliders that displays the resultant value of all 'modulations' controlling each knob/slider. This would be a confirmation that your routing is actually having the desired result, would show when you are CV 'clipping' (exceeding the range of the control), or if you're not getting anything at all.

I've wanted this from the first soft synth (the one called SOFTSYNTH by Digidesign back around 1988) on - a few of the current crop have this feature and it's very useful (Kontakt comes to mind).