Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-12-09, 11:54

52 Reason / Record Tips - Week 41: Mid-Side Processing for Great Masters

When it comes to mastering, one of the hottest things right now is a technique known as "mid-side processing." As a basic description, mid-side processing uses phase cancellation tricks to isolate the mono information in a mix (bass, vocal, kick drum) from the stereo items (guitars, keys, effects) and then lets you master them separately and recombine them for a very nice sounding master.

This week I brought in two special guests to help me design a mid-side mastering patch for you as well as to help describe the technical intricacies of how this is done. Be sure to visit the links in this video, download the patches, and visit the websites I mention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0IMHAnzK8

http://www.propellerheads.se/stuff/JB41.zip

http://www.peff.com

http://web.mac.com/gilesreaves/Giles...usic/Home.html

http://southern.bandcamp.com/track/head-spins

Big thanks to Kurt Kurasaki, Giles Reaves, and Southern.

Last edited by James Bernard; 2010-12-09 at 11:57.
Old 2010-12-09, 12:05

Awesome video....I'm really liking all the mastering video's your doing JB they are bloody awesome.
Kurt's Combi Patches works so well to give your mix a better balance and cleaner sound when tweaked for your liking. Haven't tried Selig's patch yet cause I'm so into Kurts...
Great Job JB and the Props Gang
Old 2010-12-09, 12:16

Vvery interesting. the tutorial last week left some questions. What is better for my final mixes?

- mutliband compression
- mid-side compression

or maybe...

- multiband mid-side compression?

James, what is better now?

Btw with multiband you used the term "mix", and for the mid-side you talked about mastering. So am I right when I assume I first have to multibandcompress during the mixdown, and in the mastering I should ALSO mid-side compress in the best case?

Sp do we have to do both, or are they just differnet methods to do the same (with slightly different results)?

Last edited by Truhse; 2010-12-09 at 12:23.
Old 2010-12-09, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truhse View Post
Vvery interesting. the tutorial last week left some questions. What is better for my final mixes?

- mutliband compression
- mid-side compression

or maybe...

- multiband mid-side compression?

James, what is better now?

Btw with multiband you used the term "mix", and for the mid-side you talked about mastering. So am I right when I assume I first have to multibandcompress during the mixdown, and in the mastering I should ALSO mid-side compress in the best case?

Sp do we have to do both, or are they just differnet methods to do the same (with slightly different results)?
The import thing to note is that there is no law that says you MUST do this or that when it comes to mixing/mastering..

What I am presenting to you are options and techniques and depending on the song or genre.. certain methods tend to achieve the result you are after.

Which one? That's really up to you to decide!

So what I am trying to do here is give you lots of tools in your toolbox to get the job done.
Old 2010-12-09, 13:12

thats awesome!
my workaround for MS was way more cumbersome!
thanks a lot!
Old 2010-12-09, 13:14

Of course. And we do really appreciate this. But sometimes we tend to "dont understand anything instantly".

So let me change the question a bit. Can we archieve even better results by using both techniques? If yes, which step we should do first?

Cheers

edit: maybe anyone can exchange the compressors in the patch with multiband compressors? I tried but ended up in "not to know" whre to put the CV cable now....

Last edited by Truhse; 2010-12-09 at 13:34.
Old 2010-12-09, 13:35

Honestly the song will dictate the technique.

Mastering is always an art/science of choosing the tool you need to make the song sound it's best.

So, if the song in question was mixed well and just needs a little extra special sauce.. I personally would go for mid-side.

If the song was mixed on $5 usb speakers by a platypus wearing earmuffs, then I am probably going to head straight for multi-band processing of some sort to fix all the mistakes.
Old 2010-12-09, 13:43

really good answer for me. that means multiband compression did not made that much at my tunes cause my mixdown was already good?! that sounds good to me.

so I will try out the mid-side thing next time. thanks again fr all that helpfull stuff.
Old 2010-12-09, 17:30

Off topic;

If you or someone else at Propellerhead could put out some information on making Thor speak, it might be interesting. In fact, it could be a series, with some different vowel and consonant sounds each time. I am trying to figure out how to make the "nd" sound at the end of a word.

Edit: I did read the current article on Thor's Formant Filter. Still working on that "nd" sound.

Last edited by TechFreq; 2010-12-09 at 17:47.
Old 2010-12-09, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreq View Post
Off topic;

If you or someone else at Propellerhead could put out some information on making Thor speak, it might be interesting.
I wonder what Thor would say about the
Develop better synths!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread?