Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-03-31, 07:29

Reason instruments on smart phones for live performance

Much of the attraction to Reason/Record is that each instrument in the rack can not only be wired in so many ways, but can be fiddled with independently. What if one could do this fiddling on the road? Imagine having Subtractor ported for your phone with a single-note lane sequencer just to play with sounds. Imagine it could save off the ZYP file so you could open it up at your studio and plug it into a song you're working on. Most phone music apps don't integrate with studio equipment - Propellerhead could change that.

Furthermore, imagine making a cool patch at the studio, copying it to your phone, and then while jamming in the van or playing a gig, you hook your phone up to an amp, and then interface with a MIDI device for live performance sounds. Mapping knobs of a MIDI keyboard to the various Subtractor adjustments could make for some cool real-time sounds. Also, in the Android world, MIDI over wifi is working, some have got Bluetooth MIDI working, and with USB On The Go (Host) mode support on many phones, one could plug in their USB-MIDI keyboard (Akai LPK25 or M-Audio Oxygen 8 for examples) directly into their phone and have very portable and very flexible synthesizer.

So how about it? Few could really make use of a full blow Reason port to a phone, and Rebirth is fun for making beats, but what about making pads and leads? What about MIDI interface for recording quick ideas or live playback? That's an untapped market so far...especially in a way where the work can be easily used at the desktop workstation without any cumbersome file conversions.
Old 2011-03-31, 14:35

hamx0r – I’m not an iFad/Crackberry/Android kind of guy and obviously an expert by no means, but I’ve got to ask if I’m understanding you correctly: you want to be “.. fiddling on the road ..” with Subtractor et al, on your phone, with a MIDI keyboard plugged into the phone, with the phone plugged into an amp, while driving your van and making/cabling patches and jamming down? If so, please let me know what country you are in and what roads you travel so that I can avoid the massive car crashes.

keng02 – I’m also not an expert on women’s fashions, but those are some cheesy looking handbags for the megabucks prices. Someone was in the forums a few weeks ago promoting wedding dresses, but their links had some babelicious models. At least you do mention Charlize Theron. You probably know the wedding dress dude; get some advice on a better marketing strategy.

Oh man, what a way to start the day. Looks like it’s shaping up to be an interesting weekend here in the forums.
Old 2011-03-31, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post
Looks like it’s shaping up to be an interesting weekend here in the forums.
Only if you're getting married, need a replica handbag to carry your iPhoney, and have a van where you can jam during the honeymoon trip!

Old 2011-03-31, 15:05

Doc - It's also looking like a good time to break out the Klingon ale and pass it around.
Old 2011-03-31, 15:13

I gots meself a good ol' crate! Here here:

Old 2011-03-31, 15:25

OMG - Well, all the Ferengi crap is yours. I'll check out the Romulan stuff, though.
Old 2011-03-31, 15:30

I hate the mobile phone culture with a passion and what it brings along with it, i couldnt think of a worse way to control anything musical.
Old 2011-03-31, 15:47

paranoid - I've got to ask: who is your avatar? I know that face and cigar and that he's a comedian, and it'll stick in my head (Jerry somebody?). And, I agree with you on the mobile culture; to each his/her own, but from the people I know with it they spend 80% of their time in la la land.
Old 2011-03-31, 16:13

Terry Thomas.
Old 2011-03-31, 16:30

Ah, thank you! “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World” and the “Dr. Phibes” flicks -