Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-04-13, 04:20

MIDI drum mapping: probably asked a million times

Okay, cut me some slack, I am SO new to this whole thing. If you have no patience for a noob like me, I need not waste your time.
Anyway, here's the deal.
I have messed with reason before and am gonna buy the full version pretty soon, as well as reason drum kits refill. However, I want to use reason drum kits with my cheap-piece yahama DTXplorer edrum kit. You can NOT change the midi information sent from this drum set. I repeat, the midi notes this drum kit sends are not changeable via drum brain. Is that gonna conflict with reason drum kits? How do you even work with reason drum kits? could someone please explain how reason drum kits work and if they could work full-editable with my cheap piece-of-kit. I would really hate to spend all that money just to have to buy another drum set.

Last edited by noahcopeland; 2011-04-13 at 04:23.
Old 2011-04-13, 04:58

Simple answer is that so long as your drum pads send MIDI then Reason can act as your sound source.

You may have to do some re-mapping either in each Reason device (ReDrum, Kong, NN-XT) OR use an app like MIDI Ox pre-Reason to re-map. I'd probably use Kong or NN-XT and assign drum sounds based on what notes light up per pad and save them off as presets.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2011-04-13, 13:20

the biggest problem u'll encounter is unability of setting the hats properly for acting with a reason drum-kit as with DTX drum-kits. This is caused by the unability of sending different notes with the hat pedal as it is pressed it is unpressed and in combination with the other hat, the classic drum hat behavior, indeed...

I haven't found a solution yet, if anyone can suggest some sort of workaround I really apreciate...

Old 2011-04-13, 16:31

I use V-Drums so I haven't had this problem, but others have mentioned a software 're-mapping' solution that escapes me at the moment. I don't know if it will add noticable latency or not, but it is one option to get things working together.

Re-mapping every RDK kit would be VERY time consuming unless there were only a few kits you were interested in using.
Old 2011-04-14, 20:46

Okay thanks. So to use reason drum kits, you'd just load em up in any old sampler like the NN-XT and assign accordingly? right? (noob here)
Old 2011-04-14, 21:01

hi all, tnks for reply...

the software mentionend in other thread is unavailable the page return a forbidden access error, anyone knows about a similar SW for using with reason and let my digital drum sounds properly?

Old 2011-09-09, 23:47

EZDrummer player

Hi MsKeng,
Sorry if I've misunderstood the question but I have a Midi file library of drum tracks that I was having trouble using with Reason until a friend showed me EZDrummer's Player (about 30 bucks off Toontrack's website) which allows me to remap any of them as a VST plugin. This has really helped because it allows you to use GM-mapped files with Addictive drums like I have but also to convert files to Raseon Drum Kit's map
Cheers
Old 2012-08-11, 00:23

Is there a reason why a lot of the reason drum kits and drum patches are mapped differently? and why you can convert kit pieces/pads to GM in Kong but not any of the other drum patches? redrum, nn-xt ect?

Last edited by Airpom; 2012-08-11 at 00:26.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcopeland View Post
Okay thanks. So to use reason drum kits, you'd just load em up in any old sampler like the NN-XT and assign accordingly? right? (noob here)
Not quite. RDK features a lot of kits that are hypersampled and mapped across the keyboard. They all follow standard GM mapping from at the lower end (Kick, snares, hat, toms and cymbals) and then use custom mapping for repeats of samples and variations high up the keyboard/scale. So you may find that the basics line up (if the yamaha also uses standard GM mapping)

The drum combinators use different NNXTs for each group of samples.

You can move the samples to another note but as Selig mentioned this would be a Very time consuming task to remap them all. Although once you have remapped and saved each kit you want to use you are good to go.

So the answer is yes you can. Do consider the hi hat pedal as mentioned in an early response.

I would suggest that if you are getting Reason anyway you should try out your drum kit on the acoustic NNXT kits that come with Reason and see how it works before investing in RDK (I seem to remember there was a demo version of RDK that I tried before I bought it..not sure if that is still available)